Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunk In Steering When Turning ?

FIESTA_MAD

hi

my mk7 fiesta has 9000 miles on it now from new and for a few weeks now and every time i turn the wheel right around when parking or when i stop turning the wheel sometimes i get a clunk or a noise or some sort from the steering and i wanna know what does it sound like ?

has anyone on here had the same or is it normal ?

thanks.

My g/f's fiesta keeps doing this (2009 59 plate Style)

It has been back to Cutts of Campden in gloucestershire (Ford Dealer) 3 times with this fault.

Each time they say there is nothing wrong with it even though we hear knocking and pinging from the front springs

Its mega annoying its a shame there is no tsb for this

Jamie

should i even bother puting it into my garage to see if they can pin point it ?

Hi

The more people who complain the better in my oppinion

Jamie

if its knocking and pinging from the front springs then its probably the strut top bearings/mounts

surely this would be covered by your warranty? its pretty poor if the strut bearings are failing so early...

Cutts of campden where my g/f takes her car say they cannot find anything wrong.

My G/F is so annoyed about it. She says i can hear it why cant they

Warranty runs out in october

Jamie

I had this problem with my fiesta, took it to ford (under warranty) who said it was an issue with the steering column and is actually an easy fix for them. However after a year of no clunking it has now started again so back to ford for me!

When I took my car in for its last service (2nd @ 2 years old) I reported this issue - apparently it's caused by a tiny bit of free-play in the steering column at significant amounts of lock. The fix is something like removing the steering column and packing something full of grease.....which would have cost about £40 - £50 (total inc labour), so I'm living with the clunk for now!

it isnt just a clunk with jess's car. if she parks at full lock or turns whilst moving slowly you can hear the springs pinging again nothing wrong with it lol

Jamie

p.s no disrespect to deaf people (iam registered as deaf) but ford obviously are deaf as they can never hear the noises we (i can with hearing aids)

Jess says i should turn them off when driving but it would be like driving a magic carpet ie deadly silent

if the springs are pinging then its more than likey the top bearings are sticking

Just had the same problem knocking at the steering took it to the dealers was told there is a TSB about the problem which involved packing the coulunm with grease which they did ,took it down the road still knocking went straight back now its either the driveshaft or cv joint or the actual steering rack itself its booked for later this week so i see what happens next

Hi there, is the knocking when you're on full lock and then returning? I would say its probably a lower arm ball joint making the knocking noise, in which case Ford should replace to whole bottom arm for the side you're having trouble with.

Took a Mk2 Ka in only today after numerous times being told that nothing was wrong, and after probably 5 visits and me telling them it was the ball joint, they soon replaced it under warranty. If it is the arm they need to replace, don't let them waffle you with the whole "its wear and tear and not covered" rubbish because it won't be, just shoddy parts! :)

even when you wiggle the wheel the noise happens when u stop moving the wheel ?

it defo a clunk knock or ping and its anoying me now :(

my g/f has had enough of taking it back to be told its nothing. it is very annoying.

Jami

will go in and ask what they think it is will just say it clunks when turning the wheel and see what the say :)

its getting worse now clunking loud and sometimes only when comming to a stop .

defo getting it into them nxt week to be sure sounds unsafe atm .

• 5 months later...

Turns out my 59 plate Fiesta Titanium has this same issue, and its !Removed! annoying. I only noticed it a couple of months ago, so thought I would mention it at its 3rd service yesterday. When I went to collect it, the guy said it needed lubricating ( the joint near the pedals ) and told me to put WD40 on it! So, I went out today and got some WD40.... to which it hasnt worked!!

I called the dealership and spoke with the service manager who has booked me in for tomorrow to investigate it. To say I am peed off is an understatement. Why didnt they investigate it at service when I told them too? Instead they just tried to fob me off knowing full well my warranty is up in two days time.

I know that I will have to pay for the grease, but its not the point. What if its the steering column or something else which would be covered under warranty!

I have also spoken with Ford and have been given a reference number. They will also be phoning the dealership tomorrow to see what they are going to do for me.

Mine is when I get in the car and slightly turn the wheel left or right, a huge clunk can be heard.... the faster you do it the louder it becomes. Also, when I reverse off the driveway slowly and full lock it, the steering makes a horrendous clunk like its grinding!

Matt

My 60 plate Zetec S was in for the same issue a couple of weeks back. When parking, or steering at low speed, I would get a knocking noise from the steering (not from the wheel but more in the depths) The Dealer knew what it was as soon as I started talking. They just replaced my steering column. All under warranty and no questions asked.

Don't be messed about by your dealer. It's a known issue to Ford and will be done under warranty.

My 60 plate Zetec S was in for the same issue a couple of weeks back. When parking, or steering at low speed, I would get a knocking noise from the steering (not from the wheel but more in the depths) The Dealer knew what it was as soon as I started talking. They just replaced my steering column. All under warranty and no questions asked.

Don't be messed about by your dealer. It's a known issue to Ford and will be done under warranty.

Well I took it to the dealer yesterday. After 3 hours of waiting, they have diagnosed the problem as:

1) Needed Greasing

2) Some spring or something in the suspension. This needs replacing.

They have greased it up already however the part wasnt in stock so they have had to order it in. They are doing this under the warranty.

Fingers crossed once this part is installed, that will be the end of it. However im not convinced, as the clunk is still there after they have greased it!

Matt

• 1 year later...

late to this topic, but my wife's Centura has done this almost from new. It's coming up to 3 years old and has only covered 14,000 miles. They greased the column last annual service (Oct 2013) and it was "ok" for a while - it's just !Removed! annoying now. Had it into the dealer today and they assure me there's nothing wrong !!

A foreman came out with me and he drove it around the car park at slow speed and even I could hear the clunk from the passenger seat - he confirmed he heard it and felt it through the wheel. Noise is exactly as described in the other posts - clunk at slow speed/reversing etc and to me there seems a lot of play in the steering wheel and it clunks when you move the wheel left to right in your hands.

The foreman chap said it wasn't covered by the warranty a "it's just a noise" - well, pardon me - it a !Removed! irritating noise !! He said it would be VERY expensive to replace - I have NO intention of paying for, what is clearly a design fault with the steering column.

I've emailed Ford and I expect a response form them as THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG !!!

Cutts of campden where my g/f takes her car say they cannot find anything wrong.

My G/F is so annoyed about it. She says i can hear it why cant they

Warranty runs out in october

Jamie

thats a standard reply from any dealer, for a problem that hasn't caused a part to completely fail.

they don't know what it is, and don't want to spend the time finding it.

if a technician admits he 'hears' the sound, the service manager will simply say "you fix it then!"

i've had the same reply from other car dealers, the next line is "it's a 'characteristic' of the vehicle/engine/gearbox etc..." and normal.

if you know there's a problem, don't accept thier opinion, which is all it is, an opinion.

keep going back to them and insist they sort it. or at least attempt a repair.

my last car's engine rattled like tincan full of bolts, to be told it's a 'charicteristic of the engine'.and completely normal.

until eventually i paid £500 for the engine to be 'investigated'.

they then found the timing chain guides and tensioners had completely collapsed, and were floating around in the sump.

and the whole engine had to be removed and re-built including a new crankshaft... :o

I have written to Ford expressing my dissatisfaction with the response from the dealer and I await a reply - I'm not giving up on this !!!

It seems bizarre to me that the Foreman can say "yes, I can hear that cluck and feel it through the wheel" and follow that up with a comment like "oh, it's normal, I've heard worse" - they has to be a design fault with the steering column ??

I had this problem with my previous Fiesta. At first the joint at the bottom of the steering column was greased - that worked for a couple of months but the clunk came back. Then the bottom universal joint at the bottom of the steering column was replaced and problem solved. All under warranty.