Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Gas?

danpan93

Hi all,

I'm getting my air con re-gassed tomorrow, but the person doing it needs to know how much it takes in grams. I have no idea what it is or where I can find it as I haven't had it done before, so I'm hoping someone can help!

Car details are as follows:

2002 focus 1.6 petrol zetec silver special eds.

If anyone knows the details I would be very grateful!

Thanks,

Dan

The person re-gassing your aircon should have a meter attached between the source of the gas and your low pressure port on the car. This will tell him when the correct amount of gas is put in. It's a bit like a tyre pressure gauge. I done my own car with a can of R134a refrigerant and it worked for about 2 hours. I suspect there may be perished 'o' rings or a leak somewhere else. Best to get it checked for leaks first, before re-charging it.

There should be a label under the bonnet (usually on the slam panel) that states the type and weight of gas required. It should be around 650 gms but I thought they filled up the system based on the pressure.

Hi, thanks for the replies! I don't know what equipment is used to do it as I've never had it done before, all I know is that the guy who is doing it for me needed to know how much it took in grams. I'll have a chat with him tommorw about leak testing as well as it would be pointless re filling if it's just gonna leak out again! Shame we don't have the weather to use it now anyway!

An authorised Aircon Fitter/Engineer will degas, condition, lubricate, test and refill your system using one machine.

As stated before, it's all to do with pressure rather than volume.

Even kwik fit do a full test before gasing and if your system leaks they will not fill it and best of all no charge, also if the do fill it, you get a 12 month money back warranty, not bad fo £49

It may be that he needs to know in order to work out how much PAG oil is required.

Hi again,

He is an authorized technician, but he's doing it as a favor for me, so I'll have to ask him what he's going to do. I missed him yesterday as he was off I'll, but as soon as I see him I'll find out what he's going to do.

Thanks for all the help!

I think air con done professionally should be by weight. When it's done at my work, the bottle is suspended from a spring balance so they know exactly what's going in.

I think air con done professionally should be by weight. When it's done at my work, the bottle is suspended from a spring balance so they know exactly what's going in.

Correct

Update!

Just spoken to him, hopefully going to get it done today and he is going to leak test it first, so it's all good!

Thanks for all the help and advice, I've just got to find that data plate now!

Update!

Finally got the gassing done today, turned out it had gas in it, but was just a little low. So topped up and it's all good! No leaks :-) also found out the reason it's not as effective as it could be is due to a blocked up pollen filter, so the next step it to get that changed. My question now is; does anyone know if it's possible to get the pollen filter out without breaking the seal between the scuttle tray and windscreen? Don't really want my car filling up with water!

Tbh it's best changing the seal when you do the filter.

It's better for peace of mind.

Plenty available on eBay for pennies.

It's not the seal on the windscreen that's the issue, after all it's only foam. On the underside if the scuttle there is a plastic lip which is melted on at points - this is what actually leaks.

Judicious application of sillicone may be recommended then.

I agree, silicone all the way round the lip. This is what I done after playing around with seals etc to find that the lip which should deflect water was the culprit. 3 and a bit years on and no problems.

Ford did bring out a revised scuttle though

Ok so I can re-use the parts that are already on the car, just as long as I apply some silicone on re-assembly?

Ok so I can re-use the parts that are already on the car, just as long as I apply some silicone on re-assembly?

yes, when you remove the scuttle you will see the tray i mean on the underside.

although you dont need to silicone it unless of course you want to make sure it doesnt leak

see this link, a few posts down you will find my diagram

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club