Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leaking Into Passenger Footwell

josh19

hi everyone ,

just joined the forum,i hope someone can help me with my problem.it`s this,

i have discovered water in the passenger footwell, had the carpet and sound proofing out and dried. then 2 days later wet ,very wet again.

i`ve checked floor pan and door seals all seem ok have herd it may be the bulkhead but from where?

can anyone help as i think my carpets will start to rot if this continues.

regards

josh

• Like 1

I'd love to know the aswer to this too.

Mine is currently with Ford and they're looking at the issue, but I've already had it back twice and they still haven't solved it...

hi dan, i take nit your talking about your 09 fiesta. mine is an 89 if they still leak 20 years later we haven`t got a hope of finding the answer any time soon :(

josh

Been a fault for years my 2003 had it, there is a horizontal seam in the bulkhead and on some cars it the wrong way round i.e the top panel is inside the bottom one as opposed to the top panel being on the outside of the lower panel IYSWIM allways seems to be the passenger side KA's suffer from it too

• Like 1

Unfortunately so Josh, Its an 09 Zetec S.

I've just got off the phone with Ford and they say it's ready for collecting. Apparently, there is another car in for exactly the same problem at the moment.

He said it could be something to do with the machines needing to warm up and the first few cars in the day that get built may not seal properly.

They've stripped mine out, resealed it and have undertaken some heavy water testing by the sounds of it and it has remained dry inside. He did also very kindly say that if I notice the problem again in a couple of months, just to give him a ring and they will take it back in and sort it again for me.

It may be worth doing the same with yours? Luckily mine was covered by warrenty, so I couldn't say how much this would cost you.

cheers Pete will defiantly check that out, and Dan it would probably cost more than the car is worth haha :)

will be checking out all the seals and bulkhead if buying another ford!

I used to have a 99 fiesta (T reg) and I had the issue in the drivers side - I found it happened when I had the air con on, could it be related to that? I never got it fixed though so don't know for sure.

we checked under the dash and pulled out all the sound proofing ,then put a hose over the windscreen and let it run for 5 mins.

we then noticed a drip coming from the backing plate for the brake servo, so we unbolted the servo and spread sealer into the holes on the inside and around the servo mounting in the engine bay, it is now in the garage drying off will let it cure for a day or two and put the hose on it again. i`ll let you all know the results.

josh

I have this exact problem with my car at the moment. Left it with them today and it took them all day to tell that there was a leak but it was going to take 2/3 days to see where it was coming from and around £180 because it isn't covered by the warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi, i have joined this forum to help others about this issue, i have had the same issue with my 60 plate Zetec Fiesta, i did not know there was an issue until there was a smell in the car like " Cat Pee" i eventually found where the smell was coming from, the drivers side footwell carpet. The weird thing is the carpet was bone dry on the top, when i looked at the chassis number i could see the floor was wet and the smell was a lot stronger. When the carpet was lifted up, the soundproofing was saturated a lot of water near the pillar on the right hand side. i went back to the main dealer who was not very helpful saying it was probably coming from the pollen filter as it had been serviced, but not with them, but a reputable garage at a fraction of the cost, they said the filter housing had been disturbed, Over a few days i managed to dry it out using newspaper, then it rained hard and it was soaked again. i went back to the main dealer who advised me to go to their bodyshop but advised me if a seam had a leak, they were only covered for the first 12 months, what a joke! So i armed myself with some info that i had printed from 4 seperate websites including these from FOC, clearly proving there is an issue with water leaks on the fiesta, if you push hard on the carpet behind the drivers seat i had a small puddle of water coming through. The guy who checked my car told me exactly what the issue was, open up the bonnet, and check where the hinge area is on the drivers side, look to the left and there is a small seam that is not filled up correctly, the water runs into that, fills the pillar with water flooding your car with water. When i pointed out that i had evidence to prove their is a fault, they agreed to sort it out, free of charge. This proves to me they know its a fault with the fiesta, as i have read other owners had issues with various leaks. I have a photo of the problem area which i can attach when i set up a Photobucket account. I know this is longwinded but i am hoping this will help others, i think it is disgusting that when you buy a brand new car leaks are only covered for the first 12 months, i wonder how many people pay main dealers to put this fault right? Print this thread off and take it as evidence, the main dealer should accept it is fault with production, if not give Ford Customer relations a call on 0845 841 1111, i have heard they are very good contacting main dealers who are not helpful, always worth a mention to the dealer when talking about this issue,

Hope this helps, thanks for the other members who had already added info on this issue, it really helped me out. B-)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

I had a recent problem with water dripping down in the passenger foot well. The water was dripping from the black box in the center area. The carpet and mat was wet and on the mornings, the damp smell was evident.

I felt the water whilst it was dripping and it got colder the longer the air con was on.

It was the condensation from the air con!

Usually, this condensation drips through a drainage pipe and lands on the floor, under the car.

I have learnt that sometimes, this pipe can be blocked up with dirt or whatever. If the pipe is blocked, the condensation can not escape via its normal route and therefore, overflows by the black box in the center area of the car (under the stereo area)

Solution – Jack up the car at the driving side – Secure the car accordingly.

If you get under your car, you will see a small drainage pipe coming out of your car. It will be close to the center area, near to where you would expect the pedals to be. Use a thin pen or pencil and push that up a few times into the drain pipe. You can also use any thin plastic item too to try and clean out the pipe.

This worked for me. Now with the Air Con on, I can see the water leaking through the pipe and not inside the car. A lot of crap came out of the pipe too, which proved that it was clogged up.

Hope this helps.

Is this an issue with 08/09 fiestas only? I have a 62 Plate, hopefully they seal them correctly now, or make sure the pipes dont get clogged up with stuff.

• 2 months later...

Just joined this forum as our 2012 Fiesta has the same problem.

The drivers side foot and passenger wells are soaked. I've got the car booked in at the garage where we bought it from last August (ex demonstrator) and am going to drop it off tomorrow to see what they can find.

I rang up Ford and they were worse than useless. I wanted to know if it was covered by warranty. The customer service rep said I would have to ask the garage which was really helpful - not ! It better be as I'm not exactly loaded and my wife relies on this car.

I'll check the weld seam under the bonnet before I go tomorrow.

• Like 1

I checked the weld seem and it had a little filler in it but not a lot.

My local Ford dealers stripped the car down and the source of the leak appears not to be the bulkhead seam but the bolt holes for the optional roof bars that we had fitted.

The dealer started claiming that was not covered by Ford warranty but backed off when I pointed out that they supplied and fitted the roof bars so surely it was covered under the sale of goods act never mind any warranty. They have thankfully agreed to do all the work for free.

They are going to have to install new sound proofing as the old one was too wet to save.

I think reading between the lines the dealer cocked up and did not use enough silicone sealant when they installed the bar fittings.

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have joined this forum to help others about this issue, i have had the same issue with my 60 plate Zetec Fiesta, i did not know there was an issue until there was a smell in the car like " Cat Pee" i eventually found where the smell was coming from, the drivers side footwell carpet. The weird thing is the carpet was bone dry on the top, when i looked at the chassis number i could see the floor was wet and the smell was a lot stronger. When the carpet was lifted up, the soundproofing was saturated a lot of water near the pillar on the right hand side. i went back to the main dealer who was not very helpful saying it was probably coming from the pollen filter as it had been serviced, but not with them, but a reputable garage at a fraction of the cost, they said the filter housing had been disturbed, Over a few days i managed to dry it out using newspaper, then it rained hard and it was soaked again. i went back to the main dealer who advised me to go to their bodyshop but advised me if a seam had a leak, they were only covered for the first 12 months, what a joke! So i armed myself with some info that i had printed from 4 seperate websites including these from FOC, clearly proving there is an issue with water leaks on the fiesta, if you push hard on the carpet behind the drivers seat i had a small puddle of water coming through. The guy who checked my car told me exactly what the issue was, open up the bonnet, and check where the hinge area is on the drivers side, look to the left and there is a small seam that is not filled up correctly, the water runs into that, fills the pillar with water flooding your car with water. When i pointed out that i had evidence to prove their is a fault, they agreed to sort it out, free of charge. This proves to me they know its a fault with the fiesta, as i have read other owners had issues with various leaks. I have a photo of the problem area which i can attach when i set up a Photobucket account. I know this is longwinded but i am hoping this will help others, i think it is disgusting that when you buy a brand new car leaks are only covered for the first 12 months, i wonder how many people pay main dealers to put this fault right? Print this thread off and take it as evidence, the main dealer should accept it is fault with production, if not give Ford Customer relations a call on 0845 841 1111, i have heard they are very good contacting main dealers who are not helpful, always worth a mention to the dealer when talking about this issue,

Hope this helps, thanks for the other members who had already added info on this issue, it really helped me out. B-)

hello mate can you post pictures pleasE? thank you
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic, I've checked and sealed the bulkhead, but am getting a leak from the sill hole just behind the door pillar:

missing plug

am I safe blocking this up, or even filling the sill with foam? I don't have a sunroof btw - I found it while I was washing out the wheel arches with a hose.

Cheers

I use to get this problem on one of our previous cars (not a Fiesta), heavy rain and it would get soaked in three of the four footwells. It was very hard to find were it was coming from but i found it, behind the door trims is a piece of plastic that is sealed on to the car when the car is new but it must of had work done on the three doors and the seal had been brocken and then just taped back on, the tape had failed and the water ran down the plastic, then the bottom of the door and then into the footwells. I tried making up new plastic`s and stuck them on with silicon and they still leaked, in the end i found taping the top and taping the bottom but having the bottom edge of the plastic inside the door stoped it. I know that it seams as though your problems are with a seam but just thought that i would put this here incase it may help some one.

Thanks. Its a useful tip. I'm definitely getting water coming 'up' though - it only happens when driving

hi all just been looking this up, i took have a 09 feista and you have guessed it, i too have a leaking footwell but mines in the back passenger, its been looked at 2 times already by ford and 1st time they said they sealed up and it happened again took it back, they said they sorted it, ow had to take it again, for the 3 rd time as its worse than ever, and it goes in next week for 2 days,ive only had it 7 months they tried to blagg it by saying it not under warrenty but now they have looked at it ive been told they are to sort it,

If you can, would you be able to have Ford identify the position of the leak fix so we can try our own bodges?

Cheers

will tell you excatly what the problem is when it goes in, and what they had done to it, but i will say this the guy @ ford garage wasnt suprised i wasback.....

Bit of progress:

The sill hole previously identified has a 'bung' on the passenger side, so mine was missing. I siliconed a replacement in & this has sorted the drivers leak!

The passenger leak is either the bulkhead, or the large cable grommet. I've siliconed these so will advise. Having to drive around with no dashboard to test!

By the way, does anyone know what the small black 'bags of sponge' are, tucked inside the base of the A pillars? Seems designed to hold water against the metal.

Cheers

Ps also discovered that the wet in the rear foot wells was running through the channels under the seat crossmember. Have siliconed those too to check

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club