• Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

Mathew Pritt

Focus Mk2 Rear Drum Removal

19 posts in this topic

i need to get inside the rear brakes to fix them but i have no idea how to,

there seems to be no centre hub screw or no cap covering it so i dont know what to do??????

can anyone please help

my car is a 2006 zetec 1.6 petrol

When you remove the wheel is it by removing nuts or studs ? If its just nuts does the drum slide over the studs which are fixed to the hub and then the brake drum just removes leaving the studs in place ?

You may find that if the shoes are adjusted close to the inside of the drum it can be a bit of a struggle getting the drums off. Obviously make sure the handbrake is off lol.

According to Haynes, there may be a spring clip on one of the hub bolts that needs prising off first.

The drum should then pull off.

If the drum is reluctant to move, use two 8mm bolts in the threaded holes and draw the drum off.

Also prop the car and ensure the hand brake is off to release the brake pad tension from the drum.

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

when i had my rear wheels off the drum slips off didnt have ant=y retaining clip though it may have not been refitted in the past spin the drum and it will just slide off over the studs

According to Haynes, there may be a spring clip on one of the hub bolts that needs prising off first.

The drum should then pull off.

If the drum is reluctant to move, use two 8mm bolts in the threaded holes and draw the drum off.

Also prop the car and ensure the hand brake is off to release the brake pad tension from the drum.

My Haynes says the same. Unfortunately, either it's wrong or there are two variants of drum for the mk2 Focus (in which case the Haynes manual is incomplete).

There are 4x TX-50 torx bolts (maybe 13mm bolts on some variants) at the back of the hub assembly that must be removed. These can be tricky to get to and will require the use of an extension bar. Once removed the drum can be pulled off along with the hub assembly. The hub assembly is either integral with the drum or is pressed in to it.

mixmasterlooney likes this

Haynes does seem to be a bit slack on some details.

They get quite a few things wrong or at least aren't as accurate as they could be.

You're right Clive, Haynes have gone downhill big-time in recent years, dumbing down their manuals so much that I find they're really only useful for technical specs and torque settings these days.

Agree with you re Haynes. I remember looking at a Haynes manual years ago and was astounded by the level of detail and the pictures. Bought one for my wifes car a couple of years ago and was severly dissappointed.

There are 2 types of brake drums used for the Focus MK2 and MK2.5. There is one type with threaded holes and the other type does not have threaded holes.

I had to remove the brake drums when I did the disc brake conversion. Unfortunately my drums were the type without the threaded holes. Despite my rear wheelhubs were changed 2 years ago my drums were seized on the wheelhubs and did not come loose. I used a big pulley puller to remove the drums of the hubs.

There are 2 types of brake drums used for the Focus MK2 and MK2.5. There is one type with threaded holes and the other type does not have threaded holes.

I had to remove the brake drums when I did the disc brake conversion. Unfortunately my drums were the type without the threaded holes. Despite my rear wheelhubs were changed 2 years ago my drums were seized on the wheelhubs and did not come loose. I used a big pulley puller to remove the drums of the hubs.

did you do a how to on disc conversion ? some thing im thinking of

I made a HowTo in Dutch but if there is enough demand I can translate it to English.

I made a HowTo in Dutch but if there is enough demand I can translate it to English.

id like to see it

id like to see it

I translated my Dutch HowTo to English. Because I had little time it may be that some grammatic is not correct.

The English HowTo (PDF) can be downloaded from the following site:

http://rapidshare.com/share/FC61CE4464F8D287ED555C19D14A5342

it gets to 1.9 % then wont go any further

cant get it to down load.any one had any luck

I tried to download my HowTo on another computer and it downloaded without problems.

I uploaded the HowTo also to another website. You can also download it from the following link:

http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-MFLCP6A4VCRH.pdf

thank you got it .