Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A New Focus...would Like Mod Tips :)

Aboyner

First off I'd like to say hello as I'm new to the forums! I currently have a mk1 Ford Focus Collection 1.6 which I love but today I put a deposit on a mk2 1.6 focus and am trading in my old one.

I'm looking to add a little bit to the car just to make it stand out a bit...although, I will say I'm on a budget! I'm just looking for some cheap little things that can really add overall to the car.

A few things I'm looking to do is:

• I need a new piece of leather around the bottom of the gearstick(not sure of the tech. name) as the current is worn. Am hoping i can get this done for not too much in Halfords
  • I was also thinking of doing a bit of carbon wrapping around the gearstick (I'll have to look up how this is done)
  • There is a god forsaken nokia phone cradle drilled into the dash, im looking to take this out and try fill in the holes, may have to see if Halfords can also do this as the wire goes right in behing the dash/radio.

Any comments and opinions welcome..... any ideas i can do to the outside for realatively cheap without looking tacky!? I was thinking of getting an 'S' badge for the grille as i think that adds a lot to the look at the front!

Anyway thanks for reading im going to add pics of the car from the website(I will have the car cleaner and hopefully better looking!)

Looking forward to your comments...

post-34277-0-54431000-1339776863_thumb.j

post-34277-0-83404000-1339776869_thumb.j

post-34277-0-51111000-1339776874_thumb.j

post-34277-0-43895600-1339776901_thumb.j

post-34277-0-52035300-1339776913_thumb.j

Hi and Welcome to FOC

Many ideas on here for you to go through , keep a close eye on the signatures as many contain guides

Hi and Welcome to FOC

Many ideas on here for you to go through , keep a close eye on the signatures as many contain guides

Thanks Mate

Hi Aaron,

First welcome to the forum.

Have a look at my signature for possible ideas.

If you need any modification sources/advice I (and many others here) will be glad to help.

Hi Aaron,

First welcome to the forum.

Have a look at my signature for possible ideas.

If you need any modification sources/advice I (and many others here) will be glad to help.

Thanks. Im not collecting the car till monday so want to get a valet and service from ford then ill slowly start picking up bits and pieces to install.

Also if anyone knows or has done this....

The leather on the armrest seems to be a bit worn, anyone ever replaced this or know how about going about doing this?

Hi welcome :)

Also if anyone knows or has done this....

The leather on the armrest seems to be a bit worn, anyone ever replaced this or know how about going about doing this?

Yet again i reckon eBay can help.

There's usually sellers that do replacement covers or aftermarket bits to slip over the original bits.

Failing that some liquid leather scuff polish may improve the cosmetic appearance.

First off I'd like to say hello as I'm new to the forums! I currently have a mk1 Ford Focus Collection 1.6 which I love but today I put a deposit on a mk2 1.6 focus and am trading in my old one.

I'm looking to add a little bit to the car just to make it stand out a bit...although, I will say I'm on a budget! I'm just looking for some cheap little things that can really add overall to the car.

A few things I'm looking to do is:

• I need a new piece of leather around the bottom of the gearstick(not sure of the tech. name) as the current is worn. Am hoping i can get this done for not too much in halfords
  • I was also thinking of doing a bit of carbon wrapping around the gearstick (I'll have to look up how this is done)
  • There is a god forsaken nokia phone cradle drilled into the dash, im looking to take this out and try fill in the holes, may have to see if halfords can also do this as the wire goes right in behing the dash/radio.

Any comments and opinions welcome..... any ideas i can do to the outside for realatively cheap without looking tacky!? I was thinking of getting an 'S' badge for the grille as i think that adds a lot to the look at the front!

Anyway thanks for reading im going to add pics of the car from the website(I will have the car cleaner and hopefully better looking!)

Looking forward to your comments...

Welcome to the forum mate,

the focus looks mint, sorry to hear about the Nokia cradle being mounted to the dash i hope you argued the price of the car a bit due to the cradle being mounted,

but its not the end of the world, depending on where it is mounted you may be able to replace the section, unless it is mounted to the bulk of the dash, and if it is then i know a guy on eBay who makes custom laser cut parts from stainless steel and he could manufacture a limited edition ford badge for you, if you choose a design such as ''focus zetec s limited edition number 0001'' he can manufacture a plate for you to stick over the holes and no one would be any wiser,

here is a link to some of his work and in the link their is a link to his store on eBay.

http://www.fordowner...032#entry145032

I have done some guides on modifications to the focus that you may be interested in, they are all listed below this post and can be download in PDF format so you can print them out making them even easier to follow,

the wiring loom in your focus is the same as my focus, the only changes between the two models is the body panels, some interior parts and the exterior lights.

im in co.wexford myself and if you looking at carbon wrapping some parts then see Stephens thread

http://www.fordowner...__fromsearch__1

Halfords is very expensive for parts if buying mate, even the local ford dealer can be a rip off merchant, i cut out the middle man on both places and i buy from eBay, their are ford dealers in the uk operating on ebay so you can contact them for parts and they are cheaper than your local dealer, i purchased all of my ford parts from the uk, as for detailing equipment and led's you can purchase directly from china yourself through ebay for less than 10 euro where hallfords would charge 25euro for two little strips manufactured by Prism, even the richbrook stuff is cheaper on ebay and their is also europeanparts.com they are based in germany but if your order is less than 100 the postage will be high and may not be worth it.

The ST rear spoiler is a very easy mod to do yourself, just swapping like for like and id recommend putting silicone between the rear poiler and the boot panel, under the spoiler because they are prone to leaking, that is weather you change the spoiler or not, it is a common fault,

and before you drive it away from the garage, see my link below titled ''is your focus rusting'' because their is a common fault on the top of the inside boot where the rubber hose goes from the roof in to the boot panel,

when the boot is closed it elbows and rubs off the body of the car, stripping the paint and causing rust,

happend mine when it was 3 months old back in 2010

Thanks Lenny I'd really be interested in getting that part made... Do you reckon I just email him with the dimensions? I was already looking at getting the focus strip for the glove compartment so it'd be great if I could get something to cover the holes!

If you search eBay for lockwood you will get a reasonable choice for two doors.

Welcome to the forum mate,

the focus looks mint, sorry to hear about the Nokia cradle being mounted to the dash i hope you argued the price of the car a bit due to the cradle being mounted,

but its not the end of the world, depending on where it is mounted you may be able to replace the section, unless it is mounted to the bulk of the dash, and if it is then i know a guy on ebay who makes custom laser cut parts from stainless steel and he could manufacture a limited edition ford badge for you, if you choose a design such as ''focus zetec s limited edition number 0001'' he can manufacture a plate for you to stick over the holes and no one would be any wiser,

here is a link to some of his work and in the link their is a link to his store on ebay.

http://www.fordowner...032#entry145032

I have done some guides on modifications to the focus that you may be interested in, they are all listed below this post and can be download in PDF format so you can print them out making them even easier to follow,

the wiring loom in your focus is the same as my focus, the only changes between the two models is the body panels, some interior parts and the exterior lights.

im in co.wexford myself and if you looking at carbon wrapping some parts then see Stephens thread

http://www.fordowner...__fromsearch__1

Halfords is very expensive for parts if buying mate, even the local ford dealer can be a rip off merchant, i cut out the middle man on both places and i buy from ebay, their are ford dealers in the uk operating on ebay so you can contact them for parts and they are cheaper than your local dealer, i purchased all of my ford parts from the uk, as for detailing equipment and led's you can purchase directly from china yourself through ebay for less than 10 euro where hallfords would charge 25euro for two little strips manufactured by Prism, even the richbrook stuff is cheaper on ebay and their is also europeanparts.com they are based in germany but if your order is less than 100 the postage will be

high and may not be worth it.

The ST rear spoiler is a very easy mod to do yourself, just swapping like for like and id recommend putting silicone between the rear poiler and the boot panel, under the spoiler because they are prone to leaking, that is weather you change the spoiler or not, it is a common fault,

and before you drive it away from the garage, see my link below titled ''is your focus rusting'' because their is a common fault on the top of the inside boot where the rubber hose goes from the roof in to the boot panel,

when the boot is closed it elbows and rubs off the body of the car, stripping the paint and causing rust,

happend mine when it was 3 months old back in 2010

If you search eBay for lockwood you will get a reasonable choice for two doors.

Found a nice set already thanks!

Do you think this would attach to my front grille? It's self adhesive... I reckon it might fall off...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-FOCUS-ZETEC-S-BADGE-EMBLEM-BOOT-WING-KA-C-MAX-GALAXY-RS-GRILL-BLUE-/320924211809?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab892da61#ht_500wt_922

Or would I be better off with this one and just 'try' carefully cut off the R..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-PORSCHE-FORD-FIESTA-FOCUS-VW-SUBARU-IMPREZA-BADGE-FRONT-GRILL-RS-BLUE-PINS-/110892810990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d1ba02ee#ht_1115wt_858

Iv seen a focus driving around with the S on the grille and it looks really good!

Would this exhaust trim fit the mk2 focus?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_765091_langId_-1_categoryId_212380#tab1

Or would I have to Shell out for this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sport-Exhaust-Chrome-Tail-Pipe-Tip-Trim-Ford-Focus-Mk2-Hatchback-2005-2012-/300629037212?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fee3109c#ht_1016wt_702

just collected the car today...cant wait to start all my little mods on it! :)

Found a nice set already thanks!

Do you think this would attach to my front grille? It's self adhesive... I reckon it might fall off...

http://www.ebay.co.u...61#ht_500wt_922

Or would I be better off with this one and just 'try' carefully cut off the R..

http://www.ebay.co.u...e#ht_1115wt_858

Iv seen a focus driving around with the S on the grille and it looks really good!

Would this exhaust trim fit the mk2 focus?

http://www.halfords....yId_212380#tab1

Or would I have to shell out for this:

http://www.ebay.ie/i...c#ht_1016wt_702

for the S badge i would purchase a small black cable tie and a sticky back cable tie pad,

then using a dremil or a stanley blade,

trim down the pad to become a straight rectangle in vertical form,

then stick the S badge to the pad and cable tie it to the grill by putting another pad on the inside of the grill to grip it on the opposite side, this way it will sit flush on the grill. with no visible sign of the cable tie.

cable-tie-mount-pad.jpg

as for the exhaust tip, my exhaust tip is curved on the end to flew the exhaust gases down towards the ground and i think yours may be the same, so if you were to fit the exhaust tip on the second link above then you would need to remove the current length that comes from the rear silencer.

but the first one you linked wont fit your model correctly but here is another option that will fit your exhaust:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-bolt-on-rooled-angle-cut-slanted-oval-exhaust-tip-tips-muffler-036-/140700741261?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c26aee8d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Tip-Angle-Stainless-Steel-Echo-Jazz-Vitz-Yaris-Getz-Barina-Excel-Civic-/370618660311?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564a97f5d7

for the S badge i would purchase a small black cable tie and a sticky back cable tie pad,

then using a dremil or a stanley blade,

trim down the pad to become a straight rectangle in vertical form,

then stick the S badge to the pad and cable tie it to the grill by putting another pad on the inside of the grill to grip it on the opposite side, this way it will sit flush on the grill. with no visible sign of the cable tie.

cable-tie-mount-pad.jpg

as for the exhaust tip, my exhaust tip is curved on the end to flew the exhaust gases down towards the ground and i think yours may be the same, so if you were to fit the exhaust tip on the second link above then you would need to remove the current length that comes from the rear silencer.

but the first one you linked wont fit your model correctly but here is another option that will fit your exhaust:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-bolt-on-rooled-angle-cut-slanted-oval-exhaust-tip-tips-muffler-036-/140700741261?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c26aee8d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Tip-Angle-Stainless-Steel-Echo-Jazz-Vitz-Yaris-Getz-Barina-Excel-Civic-/370618660311?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564a97f5d7

Thanks for the reply mate and great idea for the badge... That should work :)

Thanks for the reply mate and great idea for the badge... That should work :)

no probs,

i plan to do the same myself with a red S badge in the coming months and thats how i plan to do it too lol

I think I'll order it soon and if I get it done I'll upload a pic so you can see how it looks :)

I think I'll order it soon and if I get it done I'll upload a pic so you can see how it looks :)

thats great thanks mate,

your local woodies or DIY store may be able to supply you with two of those sticky pads because you will find it hard to purchase a quantity of less than 50 on eBay lol

thats great thanks mate,

your local woodies or DIY store may be able to supply you with two of those sticky pads because you will find it hard to purchase a quantity of less than 50 on ebay lol

Ha thanks I'm gonna look tomorrow and I'll put up the prices I get them for.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely suggest putting on a mk2.5 high spec spoiler or an ST spoiler - very simple modification, not too expensive, easy for a novice, don't need many tools, and it makes the car look about 100 times better.

I also see that lots of your trim is not body-coloured (the plastic strips along the doors, the plastic underneath and above the rear bumpber, the plastic strips along the top of the front fog light surround. I have a mk2 1.6 Ghia in Panther Black which thankfully came with EVERYTHING (except, for some reason, the original mk2 spoiler) body-coloured, and I'm really thankful for that because it looks a lot better than that grey plastic trim everywhere.

That particular one is designed for cars without driver side handle.

I know this as I have one from that seller.

If you want one to replace a handle, I have one available, a unused ST unit in black.

£17 inc postage.

PM me if that suits you and we'll organise a paypal transfer and delivery address.

DSC_0362.jpg

no probs,

i plan to do the same myself with a red S badge in the coming months and thats how i plan to do it too lol

Hi Lenny mate,

I've got the same S badge from eBay, but in red.

I've just used the self adhesive backing and stuck it straight to my front grille

sbadge.jpg

I'm not massively keen on where i put it, and was going to try a few different places, but its well and truely stuck on!

I wish i tried the cable tie pad, seems more secure! Not that i think mines coming off anytime soon LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club