Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Stevey D

Intermittently Stiff Gearbox

6 posts in this topic

Hi, my 58 plate 1.2 fiesta Zetec has started to have problems with it's gearbox. Sometimes it is very stiff to get into gear and then the next day it might be okay. the gears are stiff regardless of whether the engine is running or not. I have only done 31000 and had it from new...any ideas?

Cheers!

Is it any better once the gearbox has warmed up?

No...if anything it gets worse but i don't normally do more than 10 miles at a time

First thing I would be doing is checking the linkage for signs of wear or damage then check the adjustment.

It might also be worth changing the gearbox oil, should cost about £20.

Hello Steve, given your posting date, you'll be fixed and long gone by now but this might help others searching. I had the problem you describe and fixed it this morning. Turns out, in my case at least, the gear change mechanism just needed lubricating. Have posted a clip on YouTube.

Richard

If you don't mind me asking Richard, what type of oil did you use?