Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanity Mirror Lights

mitch84

Hi

I'm trying to change the vanity mirror lights to leds buts I'm finding it a task to remove the covers to get to the bulb.

Checked the Manuel but it does not give much info.

Anyone managed it?

thanks

Hi

I'm trying to change the vanity mirror lights to leds buts I'm finding it a task to remove the covers to get to the bulb.

Checked the Manuel but it does not give much info.

Anyone managed it?

thanks

Hi Steve,

their is a slot on the end for you to prise it out with a small flat screw driver, preferably a precision screwdriver and not the size in the image below lol i didnt have a precision screwdriver for the purpose of the picture taken this evening.

see image:

Image2073.jpg

Hi Lenny

thanks for the pic , will look again , did not know there was a groove :blink: :)

Done it , easy when you know how :) !

I do still have one issue and that is with the map lights , I can get the fixture out but I cant get the bulbs out they seem to be housed behind a black holder that looks like it needs to be turned , it turns about a quarter of the way but pulling on it does nothing.

Also I dont want to disconnect the light fixture as there are to many connectors with my car having alarm as well.

Done it , easy when you know how :) !

I do still have one issue and that is with the map lights , I can get the fixture out but I cant get the bulbs out they seem to be housed behind a black holder that looks like it needs to be turned , it turns about a quarter of the way but pulling on it does nothing.

Also I dont want to disconnect the light fixture as there are to many connectors with my car having alarm as well.

The black sockets twist and pull out fron the light unit mate,

but if i remember correctly you need to twist and gently pull at the same time, to ensure that you dont twist too far

because if you twist too far then the teeth in the black cap slide past the opening in the light unit.

also remember when fitting them back in to place with the LED Bulbs,

switch on the light to ensure the polarity of the led bulb is the correct way around,

i.e. if the bulb doesnt illuminate remove it twist it around then re-insert, it will work for you the second time around.

you will get their eventually mate, glad you got the other ones sorted out,

are you upgrading the glove box light too?

The black sockets twist and pull out fron the light unit mate,

but if i remember correctly you need to twist and gently pull at the same time, to ensure that you dont twist too far

because if you twist too far then the teeth in the black cap slide past the opening in the light unit.

also remember when fitting them back in to place with the led bulbs,

switch on the light to ensure the polarity of the led bulb is the correct way around,

i.e. if the bulb doesnt illuminate remove it twist it around then re-insert, it will work for you the second time around.

you will get their eventually mate, glad you got the other ones sorted out,

are you upgrading the glove box light too?

Hi

I was just thinking about twisting and pulling at the same time , will give it a go as for the glove box I may do that at a later date , by the way did you say a while ago that you have not changed the centre light as it can stay on after closing the doors.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

thanks again

Hi I was just thinking about twisting and pulling at the same time , will give it a go as for the glove box I may do that at a later date , by the way did you say a while ago that you have not changed the centre light as it can stay on after closing the doors. Has anyone found a fix for this? thanks again

Yes mate, i have left the centre light standard due to reports from others that the led unit stays illuminated for longer due to the low power consumption. others may be able to advise on a way around this problem. i would also be interested in peoples feedback on this and i think the ELM327 software may be able to help because with it you can set the amount of time different lights stay on for.

See Image here:

Capture-1-1.jpg

and when upgrading the glovebox light id use one of these http://www.ebay.co.u...=item484308ed45 it is ideal because it can be pluged in to the bulb socket, while the cable is long enough to position the led's in the centre of the glove box resulting in a brighter and better spread of light.

Been back out to my car and still cant get the things out :wacko: , was thinking maybe longed nosed pliers may help but dont really want to be damaging anything.

Is it possible to remove the clear frontage to get to the bulbs?

Been back out to my car and still cant get the things out :wacko: , was thinking maybe longed nosed pliers may help but dont really want to be damaging anything.

Is it possible to remove the clear frontage to get to the bulbs?

You can access the bulbs from the front but I believe they're quite deeply set so may not offer much to grip.

When turning the black bulb holders, they go about a half turn counterclockwise.

Sometimes the holders get hooked behind the metal contacts and strips on and around the housing, a wiggle and a finger on the nearest contact to avoid bending works well.

Thanks for the help guys.

To make it easier I also removed the front lens cover as this enabled me to see how far I need to twist the holders to free them , one was fairly stiff to move as the metal contacts holding it in place were very tight to the housing so I used some long nosed pliers which helped a lot.

On one of the bulbs holders I did bend the metal clips back a bit to make it easier to fit again but I may have bent them too much as its fairly loose now , I will have to wait and see if it stays in position as bending them back could snap the metal holdings.

Pleased with the outcome , just looks a bit odd having the middle light as the standard bulb still.

I have changed all the interior lights in my car to LEDs, and Lenny is quite right, they do stay on slightly. I've had them in for about 12 months and this does not cause any problems. It is only noticeable at night.

I have changed all the interior lights in my car to LEDs, and Lenny is quite right, they do stay on slightly. I've had them in for about 12 months and this does not cause any problems. It is only noticeable at night.

cool , thinking of doing the middle light now , anyone got a link to what light I need for the middle door light , I would prefer to order from a UK based firm if possible.

cheers

To prevent the LED's from glowing in my centre light i used one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-LED-501-T10-W5W-WEDGE-CANBUS-NO-ERROR-LOAD-RESISTOR-/300590337115?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fc948c5b

Plug one end into the lamp socket and the LED into the other end. Job done and no afterglow.

cool , thinking of doing the middle light now , anyone got a link to what light I need for the middle door light , I would prefer to order from a UK based firm if possible.

cheers

Ive bought bulbs and other focus related equipment from Geoff and he is fast with dispatch within the uk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/focus-RS-2009-2010-2011-mk2-interior-map-light-LED-Pure-White-/180902174173?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1e9c1ddd

Ive bought bulbs and other focus related equipment from Geoff and he is fast with dispatch within the uk.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1e9c1ddd

looks good ,it states mk2 , i take it the mk 2.5 is the same fitting?

cheers Lenny

looks good ,it states mk2 , i take it the mk 2.5 is the same fitting? cheers Lenny
yes the bulb is the same fitment mate, and no problem, happy to be of assistance :D

Forgot I had the light in the back as well :wacko: , is it the same light as the front?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the back seats light is the same bulb as the front middle bulb? , forgot I had a light that goes on in the back as well when the car doors are open.

cheers

cheers , will check as well before I get another.

replaced the front middle light today , case of just removing the lens cover this time so much easier, only thing is that the led is a little loose in the holder but it doesn't fall out.

Trying to remove the rear dome light now but cant figure out where to un-clip the lens cover and I cant find the instructions for this in the owners manual?

Also can anyone confirm what the bulbs are for the back and front is it a festoon 36mm for front and a '501' wedge type bulb for the rear in the facelift mk2.5 focus?

cheers