Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Lower Suspension Arms Problems

lee-st170

hey guys reading up on lowering my st170 should be easy i thought but looks like there is a problem with the rear lower arm bolts being seized up :-( so before i give it ago can someone please give me some advice hints or tips please also the bolts can i only get them from a ford dealership? also is there a diagram of the rear suspension for me to have a look at any help would be very greatful

many thanks

yup, the bolts will be seized into the bushes. ford should be able to supply the bolts but you can bet you will have a hard time getting them out.

even with a good impact gun is difficult as the bush moves.

hey guys reading up on lowering my st170 should be easy i thought but looks like there is a problem with the rear lower arm bolts being seized up :-( so before i give it ago can someone please give me some advice hints or tips please also the bolts can i only get them from a ford dealership? also is there a diagram of the rear suspension for me to have a look at any help would be very greatful

many thanks

never lowerd a early st but most bolts on any suspention leg etc are exposed to the elements...just good tools bit of wd40/wire brush and a good gym session should get them out failing that a tad of heat/the freezing stuff is crap in my opinion....last resort would be to cut them of and yes replace but just have a go at cracking them of first....as above maybe you can make some kind of puller press to push them out.

cutting the bolts sound to be the best idea but they have a welded nut on them would that matter cutting it off ?

cutting the bolts sound to be the best idea but they have a welded nut on them would that matter cutting it off ?

not to sure without a pic but if there coming out and there being replaced i would say it was fine

you could always try a set of cut down spring compressors to get the old springs out. be careful if you go down this route though

the bolts wont budge ford tried heat wd40 impact guns in the end they had to drop the subframe down the bolts are tight against the arms if u cut them you ruin the arms no matter how you cut them

Im having mine replaced under warrenty as they are siezed on, i found out when i thought the rear wheel wasnt sittting propally so ford tried to do 4 wheel lazer tracking and couldnt do it because of these bolts were sized.

ford do not grease these bolts at the factory all ford dealers know the easiest way to replace springs etc is to drop the rear subframe.other garages will tell you the arms need cut destroying the arms and the rear beam

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just read thru this thread as I'm hoping to replace both my rear springs and shocks as 1 of my springs is broken. Not interested in lowering, just going to replace with good quality springs & shocks.

I was just wanting a heads up to see how different my 04 1.6 LX is with regards to changing these.

Cheers Brian

Also...

I was looking thru the Boge catalog at springs, and Im curious to know what diffrence heavy duty springs would make?? Maybe they would last longer as I do around 25K every year (especally over all the speed bumps & potholes)

http://webcat.zf.com/index.asp?SPR=4

Futhermore....

If I were to use heavy duty springs Id also be looking to use heavy duty shocks, but which is heavy duty? super touring or advantage??

http://webcat.zf.com/index.asp?SPR=4

Hey Guys dont mean to hijack this thread but didnt want to start a new topic when there is already a good one with good input already :)

looking forward to your oppions

i always weld another bolt to the top of the stuck bolt and then give it some elbow grease! :P

sounds like plan, sadly I dont have any welding kit............just a few big boxes of tools and a coulple of jacks & stands.

Priced springs & shocks - £162

Called kwick-fit for a price and was quoated around £330 :o so needless to say I'll not be going there.

Going to have a go at slacking off the lower shock bolt..............never know I might get lucky :rolleyes:

the shock bolt will undo fine, its the bolts that pass through bushes in the arms. they corrode inside the sleeves and you can never get them out again!

the shock bolt will undo fine, its the bolts that pass through bushes in the arms. they corrode inside the sleeves and you can never get them out again!

Nice one Cheers Stef :)

once again your words of wisdom make it all clear :D

I'll wire brush what I can and soak with release oil before I attempt it ;)

do you have any thoughts reguarding 'heavy duty' springs & Shocks?

Have fun is all I'm saying :lol:

I have never fitted heavy duty shocks or springs before, only ever replaced like for like or lowering springs.

If you are using the car regularly for carrying heavy loads then it might be worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...

Got Rear springs fitted. Back end is not sitting as high as I thought it might thankfully, maybe slightly higher than Normal new spring but sure it will settle down a bit. You can feel the back is firmer when driving over speed bumps but I did have original rear springs and shocks (1 broken spring) which did feel tiered and soft.

So I'm glad I went for the heavy duty springs, not had a car full of adults yet but will have soon and report back :D

• 11 months later...

Sorry For the slow update on this one.

However I am very happy with these heavy duty rear springs, the car dose not sit down low down when fully loaded and handles well. (better than before but I feel the original springs were old and towards the end 1 was broken)

:)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club