Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Roof Bars Sealant Question

chuzzwuzzer

Have an 07 Ford Focus and just bought some Ford roof bars to use with cycle carriers .Tried them yesterday to make sure they were ok and then removed them as i wont be using them for a while. My only concerned is that now i have removed the sealant from the roof panels where the screw goes in whats to stop water getting into the holes and causing rust etc when the roof bars aren't in use ?

I just put in some bolts with rubber washers to seal the holes.

Cheers

Paul-S

I've just left it as is, doesn't seem to have caused any harm.... I kinda trusted Ford had thought this one through :unsure:

Well now theres a neat little square cut out of the sealant and with the actual hole for the bolt i'd imagine its just going to fill up with water and stay like that .If it didn't need it why would ford gob it up with sealant in the first place .Maybe i'm worrying over nothing.I'll try and find some bolts that will fit and try the rubber washer method

Hi guys i did exactly the same couple of small bolt with a rubber "o" ring to seal just in case not had any problems over the last 8 months.

I just put in some bolts with rubber washers to seal the holes.

Cheers

Paul-S

I would give each bolt hole a shot of WD40 before you put the bolts in just to stop any rust forming, make sure they are dry first.