Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 1.6 Diesel Mpg Poor

davidpearson1972

Hi, i have recently purchased a new Focus Estate 1.6 diesel Titanium X.

On a recent trip from Rochdale - Aberdeen it used 40.21 ltrs to travel 385 mile. THAT AVERAGES OUT AT 43.53 MPG.

I was doing 80mph up to Glasgow and 70mph up to Aberdeen.

On the trip every now and again the car would judder as though it had a miss fire or something had relieced then you would see the instant fuel economy go up. But after a while you would see the mpg come down again.

Has anybody else had the same problem and know what the fault is.

The car is at Ford at the moment and are saying it is fine?

I had a VW golf bluemotion before and got an average of 60mpg no mater where i went, so as you can understand i am a bit disapointed.

Regards

David

80 mph is hammering it In terms of fuel economy, also blue motion cars are designed with aerodynamics in mind, ie they cover up grills and the wing mirrors cut through the air etc. The engine ecu is also set with economy over performance. I imagine your focus is a bit quicker? The focus estate is about twice the size and weight so it has to work harder to get to the same speed. hence less mpg

I wouldn't expect 50+ mpg at those speeds

As for the judders I'm not really to sure sorry

Hi, i have recently purchased a new Focus Estate 1.6 diesel Titanium X.

On a recent trip from Rochdale - Aberdeen it used 40.21 ltrs to travel 385 mile. THAT AVERAGES OUT AT 43.53 MPG.

I was doing 80mph up to Glasgow and 70mph up to Aberdeen.

On the trip every now and again the car would judder as though it had a miss fire or something had relieced then you would see the instant fuel economy go up. But after a while you would see the mpg come down again.

Has anybody else had the same problem and know what the fault is.

The car is at Ford at the moment and are saying it is fine?

I had a VW golf bluemotion before and got an average of 60mpg no mater where i went, so as you can understand i am a bit disapointed.

Regards

David

I had a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI (VW engine), and I could get 60mpg at similar speeds to what you suggested like you say about your Golf.

My Focus is nearly 12months old, just had 25,000 service and fuel economy stuck on 50.0mpg.

Things I now know about my car relative to what you are asking;

1) Fuel economy drops drastically over 65mph. 100 mile test run today at 65mph (on cruise) - fuel computer indicated 54.8mpg

2) My car has been back to Ford to have a new injector calibration. This lifted the average economy from 42mpg to 50mpg that i see now (co-incidence or just me driving more conservatively ??). This calibration was done at the 12,500 mile service.

3) Regarding the 'judder', mine does this normally when you have been holding the car at a constant speed either on the accelerator pedal or on cruise control. You then accelerate and the car judders. Ford tell me it is the EGR valve and very common, noticed especially on the current Diesel Fiesta's.

Hope this re-assures you, but to get good mpg out of the new Focus be prepared to drive like a granny or you will be disappointed.

Good luck !!

i agree with marcr1 the problem is your speed i used to have a vecta 2.2dti and from birmingham to newquay at 58mph - 62mph the trip computer said i was avreging 59mpg and used just over a quater of a tank of fuel on the way back rushing to get home 80-85mph trip said i was doing 41mpg and used 3 quarters of a tank of fuel that extra speed makes a diffrence

i agree with marcr1 the problem is your speed i used to have a vecta 2.2dti and from birmingham to newquay at 58mph - 62mph the trip computer said i was avreging 59mpg and used just over a quater of a tank of fuel on the way back rushing to get home 80-85mph trip said i was doing 41mpg and used 3 quarters of a tank of fuel that extra speed makes a diffrence

Even more noticeable on a car like the Focus with a smaller engine that needs working harder.

I have a 1.6TDCI also, and my average hovers around 44mpg which I don't find that bad as my driving style varies from enthusiastic when I have a nice twisty B road, to cruising along the A14 for work. On a long trip, I can push it closer to 50 but I don't think I've ever seen it over 50.

I agree with the above about speed, if you cruise at 65 the mpg rises lots... I get bored with that though and sacrifice economy for smiles! I have also noticed the judder but thought no more about it.

I think the 1.6 is the most economical diesel for the Focus on paper, but unless you drive like a saint you won't achieve anywhere close to the figures as you need to work it quite hard. It would be unfair to make a comparison between the Focus and a Bluemotion Golf, as the Bluemotion is specifically designed to maximise MPG, whereas the Focus is standard with a few economical extras (start/stop, shutting air intakes etc).

Have you considered other ways to push it up? There is a down-hill A-road, with a roundabout just before my village... if I time it right I can slip the car out of gear, roll down the hill, use gentle braking for the roundabout and get into my village all just using the momentum of the car. Just planning ahead when approaching junctions, or roads with up-hill/down-hill sections where you can ease off the gas help lots when you think about it.

Thanks for all your replys, think i might be expecting a bit too much.

Ford should get realistic with there figures though in the brochure. Its not as though they are even close.

Thanks again

Regards

Dave

I managed 62.2mpg on a 100 mile round trip from Southampton to Guildford, and that isn't the flattest of journeys.

I'm a MK2.5 1.6 Diesel turbo 109bhp. I drove at 60 rather than 70, and stuck to local speed limits.

Car has done 50k miles too.

Car has done 50k miles too.

That's a good point too... a 2012 engine is nowhere near as run in as one with 50k under it's belt, it will improve as the car eats more miles.

in my focus, ill do 45-50mpg at 70-80mph... but only if its on the flat.. start going up hills, or get stuck in traffic, or always braking and accelerating and it drops drastically...

I average anywhere between 44-54mpg depending on driving style and where im staying that week!!!

Also i echo the commenst about running a car in, once 20000 or so comes the MPG will start settling and getting better

my first tank got me 47mpg i know its a new engine so iam not expecting miracles

It does miss fire around 2k rpm and even my g/f

Even though its only 5bhp more it feels much more refined and quicker than my old car did.

The Fuel guage seems to go down quicker lol 200 miles to half a tank ???? and that is on the motorway.

Jamie

Thanks for all your replys, think i might be expecting a bit too much.

Ford should get realistic with there figures though in the brochure. Its not as though they are even close.

Thanks again

Regards

Dave

Hi, the figures quoted by Ford are obtained from tests that are strictly governed by the EU, thus they cannot make them any more 'realistic' than any other make or models of cars. Having said that I find it quite easy to get the quoted figures, even exceed them on occassion, with any Ford I have owned in the last 4 years. The figures are only there to be used as a comparison to other car manufactures vehicles and I think you'll find that even they agree they are not realistic at all. I believe that the EU is presently working upon a method of judging fuel consumption that more accurately reflects our driving habits.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/281917/new_mpg_tests_on_way.html

Chris

I have a 2010 Zetec-S and I do an equal of urban and rural driving and never get less that 54 mpg with 'not always sensible driving' I drove from Kent to Wolverhampton recently at averaged about 75mph and got 67 mpg.

It's a 1.6 diesel to clarify.

i do get annoyed by these posts nowt personal mate but these posts turn up continualy. the problem and im not being rude is buyer ignorance and poorly understood or explained mpg figures as stated above.

if you drove at 40mph on a straight road no stopping and the road was flat and the outside temp was at optimum as on the mpg tests you would get the figures they say but if you read the posters and small print there are the optimum figures in optimum conditions and do not take into account engine warm up time which takes longer in colder temperatures nor does it take into account the roads traffic lights changes in temperature etc etc the figures you posted are what id expect doing 80mph.

take top gear that tested the 80mpg prius and never saw anywhere near that theres nowt wrong with the car

Your doing well Paul!!

That indicated or calculated MPG??

what about mine

Jamie

I reset my trip computer every time I fill up and that's normally what I average.

we have the 08 1.8 duratorq and average approx 43mpg around town, only had it since wednesday night, but has covered 60k and i do have a heavy foot, revs upto 4.5k and change but the mpg doesnt go below 41..... approx millage 145m on 20 quid..... hope this helps

we have the 08 1.8 duratorq and average approx 43mpg around town, only had it since wednesday night, but has covered 60k and i do have a heavy foot, revs upto 4.5k and change but the mpg doesnt go below 41..... approx millage 145m on 20 quid..... hope this helps

You rev up to 4.5k? That can't be good for the engine, nor your pocket!

I don't rev above 2k normally.

Which is the same practice I take when driving, and is meant to be the best for being economic anyway!

I'd say let the engine run in a bit more, and it might improve. (Mine's done 50K so that might explain why I'm getting such high MPG with granny like driving!)

that carnt be good for the engine, pottering around???

You rev up to 4.5k? That can't be good for the engine, nor your pocket!

being told by plenty of people that you must give diesels a good hammering every now and again, due to pottering about is bad for unburning crap.... fuel economy is brill even driving like that never under 41