Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Some Power Steering Fluid

dontmess

Hi, need to remove some power steering fluid from my car as there is too much in the car at present.

I was planning on using a plastic syringe to remove the excess liquid but just wanted to make sure that this was safe.. it won't contaminate the fluid or anything..

Thanks in advance for any responses

If its clean it will be perfectly ok.

Use one of those syringes you get with kids medicine, they're perfect

Any form of pipette should be fine, or if you pop to your local chemist (boots especially) and ask at the counter for a 5ml childs syringe, you can get one for 50p! you can then just take out the fluid in small goes so that you dont lose too much.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys :D

just had a search for changing power steering fluid.

I looked in my Ford owners guide to find out what the correct fluid is for my focus (04 1.6 petrol) all it says is "Use ford power streering fluid meeting the ford specfication WSA-M2C 195-A"

Is this a Special fluid or can I use Halfords own?

I think as long as it abides by 195-A it should be fine :)

Cheers mate

I used Halfords Advance automatic transmission and power steering fluid. The specfication of this reads

WSS-M2C202-B

ESP-M2C166-H

no issues to report :)

Have you notice any difference in the power steering out of interest ?

• 2 months later...

Hey mate sorry for the slow reply

Not noticed any real difference, I did think the 'knock' was not so loud but I could be wrong.

The 'knock' only happens during the first 5 mins while cold after that its gone...

I think to make any real diffrence I'd have drain out All the power steering fluid

However Im not sure the best way to go about this without getting air locks and pools of power steering fluid everywhere.

I was thinking of undoing the lowest pipe on the powersteering rack and collecting the fluid in a wide container of some sort??

Hey mate sorry for the slow reply

Not noticed any real difference, I did think the 'knock' was not so loud but I could be wrong.

The 'knock' only happens during the first 5 mins while cold after that its gone...

I think to make any real diffrence I'd have drain out All the power steering fluid

However Im not sure the best way to go about this without getting air locks and pools of power steering fluid everywhere.

I was thinking of undoing the lowest pipe on the powersteering rack and collecting the fluid in a wide container of some sort??

Power steering is easy to bleed, all you need to do is full lock the steering each way a few times and that should be enough.

You could drain it that way or remove the return hose to the resevoir and catch the fluid from it as someone turns the steering and you keep filling it up. This will flush the system entirely of old power steering fluid.