Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re-Programming Key Fob Myself?

Sacko

Hi all

My central locking key for my '05 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi has recently stoppped working. I replaced the battery in the fob but that didn't solve the issue.

I am wondering whether the actualy fob has broken, or maybe it just needs re-programming? Is this something I can do myself or would it need to be taken into a Ford dealership (Something i don't really want to do!)

I tried the methods as described in the car manual, putting the key in the ignition and turning it multiple times, but this has not solved it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to Shell out money getting a replacement if I can help it!

Cheers :)

May i suggest that you check the battery terminals in the key as sometimes they don't sit properly.

The battery has been placed in and the metal pieces keeping it in place all seem to be touching it.

Not sure what else I can do with that. Is re-programming my key not an option?? :(

Put key in ignition and turn from 0 to II four times in ten seconds.

There will usually be a beep, tone or the immobiliser light will come on solid but this is not guaranteed to happen.

Press any button on the fob and you should get a beep/tonr to acknowledge the fob.

Wait approx twenty seconds for the programming phase exits.

I recommend you close all doors and clip your seatbelt also while doing the programming.

Sorry to say that it seems the transmitter in the fob is broken. Particularly if you have dropped the key a few times as I have, they don't last forever!

Mine stopped working end of last year (on a 2007 focus) and I tried the battery and reprogramming as in the book and it still didn't work. In the end, I paid Ford about £90 to sort it and their diagnosis was that the transmitter was knackered, but, I believe you can get just the remote control part of the fob off various websites for about £40, just try googling it....that bit should come apart from the actual key and the part with the immobiliser chip in it.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have the same problem. Recently the fob just stopped opening/closing the doors and I changed the battery but it still wouldn't lock/unlock. Tried the reprogramming option, on and off 4 times within 3 seconds and got the chime to tell me it was in learning mode then I pressed a button on the fob an also got a chime. However when I exited the learning mode the key still won't lock/unlock the doors. I have took the key to a local key dealer and they tell me it's sending out a rf signal ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

try disconnecting and re-connecting the car battery after about 10-20mins, sounds strange but it worked for me when one day the fob randomly stopped working

make sure you have your radio code as it will need re-coding (if its a ford unit)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same sort of problem on my 2009 , both remotes are dead, put new batts etc still nowt, programmed as you both keys now operate BUT they will only work if very close to the side windows !!

Anyone got any ideas?

Just trying to reset by disconnecting battery, but before I did checked again and I think the receiver, which I think is behind the interior light may be faulty, my fobs work as they should if I hold them in front of mirror, can anyone add anything .Thanks Ron

Do you have anything plugged into the lighter socket like for a dashcam or phone charger?

They can interfere with the signal.

Hi Clive , No nothing plugged in, the car was ok until I had the car washed, and I took some items to the tip , wondering if I have damaged anything inside the car -central locking receiver ?

• 7 months later...

Hi All

I have been noticing a drop in range of my fob recently so i decided to change the battery to see if this will make it better, i tried to reprogram  the key by using the manual. I get the 1st *bong* from the car and press a button on the fob and there is no second chime. I've tried this many times with the old battery as well. 

Any help?

If the battery was not fully flat and changed reasonably qyickly then you shouldn't need to reprogram it.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I though so too but i have been proved wrong my my car XD it won't unlock with either battery 

Keys not programming seems to be an issue of late for a fair few. I have noticed lately my key occasionally just won't work and I have to reprogram it again for it to work.

The only known issue I have was a wet GEM module, since then I have had trouble with doors staying deadlocked as far as I can tell from the way the car has acted up with certain doors.

I wonder if all these problems are actually GEM issues if they get damp, mine was damp but not soaking, I took it apart and dries it out and checked it over and cleaned it with contact cleaner.

I will get round to replacing the GEM at some point and see if it cures some of my gremlins lol of not back to the drawing board I guess.

• 9 months later...

Hi I have a Ford Focus 2007 duratec and the remote fob isn't working, I have tried changing the batteries and even bought a new remote key from eBay but to no avail, I think the system needs resetting, but I can't find the fuse 63 as there is none, there is a 55 fuse that controls central locking I have removed it once but it didn't help, I couldn't find the Siemens box in this car, central locking works fine it's just the remote unlocking that's not working, please help !!

As mentioned previously by Greentyres, mine stopped working two months back, my key doctor man just replaced the chip.

I had exactly the same problem. my key stopped working. I self-diagnosed that the little microswitches under the buttons had failed.

I sent it off to this man who advertises his services on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAIR-SERVICE-for-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-Fiesta-Puma-Ka-3-button-remote-key-fob-FIX-/371093480558?hash=item5666e5246e:g:ZmwAAOxy3zNSh6IX

It came back promptly, but could I get it to re-register with the car, no matter how I tried the ignition on/off procedure it would not work.

In desperation I visited my friendly local lock man. He tested the key with some sort of a signal receiver and declared that the key was functioning correctly. He walked out to the car, did the on/off shuffle and the key started the car straight away. I felt a right fool.

I watched him do it exactly as I had done it. There is clearly a knack to this method, and I have not got it.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club