Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 Petrol Poor Fuel Consumption Mpg

My focus is averaging between 25 and 30 MPG currently. I'm not heavy footed on the accelerator, I keep the revs down by driving in higher gears and the driving I have been doing recently is single carriageway, speeds of 50 - 60 mph on mainly flat ground carrying 1 - 2 people with no other weight/luggage in the car.

Is this MPG reading normal or is this below average for my model? Anyone have any ideas on how to increase the MPG? I am using normal unleaded but have heard that the premium unleaded can help to increase the MPG - if this is true is it worth paying the extra for the premium petrol to gain the extra miles?

Thanks!

My focus is averaging between 25 and 30 MPG currently. I'm not heavy footed on the accelerator, I keep the revs down by driving in higher gears and the driving I have been doing recently is single carriageway, speeds of 50 - 60 mph on mainly flat ground carrying 1 - 2 people with no other weight/luggage in the car.

Is this MPG reading normal or is this below average for my model? Anyone have any ideas on how to increase the MPG? I am using normal unleaded but have heard that the premium unleaded can help to increase the MPG - if this is true is it worth paying the extra for the premium petrol to gain the extra miles?

Thanks!

I have the 2008 1.8 petrol and use mainly Supermarket petrol, over the last 1500 miles the car has averaged 37.3 with similar roads and driving as you describe, The on board computer has been checked against fill up to fill up and maths and found to be near enough accurate, I would suggest you check the accuracy of the on board computer as they do vary, your 2005 car may have a different design 1.8 to my 2008 car or it could be your car or your driving style. I hope this helps.

I have the 2008 1.8 petrol and use mainly Supermarket petrol, over the last 1500 miles the car has averaged 37.3 with similar roads and driving as you describe, The on board computer has been checked against fill up to fill up and maths and found to be near enough accurate, I would suggest you check the accuracy of the on board computer as they do vary, your 2005 car may have a different design 1.8 to my 2008 car or it could be your car or your driving style. I hope this helps.

My model doesn't have an on board computer so I'm having to work out the MPG manually by recording the miles I'm driving between each re-fuel and recording the amount of fuel I put into the car each time. I'm still unsure as to why the MPG is so low because autotrader, parkers and others sources where you can retrieve info on the expected MPG of the car state that my model should be averaging somewhere in the region of 35 - 38 mpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club