Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 58 - Retrofit Bluetooth & Usb Questions

Safekidda

Hi all,

First post!

I've just bought myself a 58 plate Titanium, I'm massively pleased with it, I made sure it had some of the gadgets I wanted such as cruise control, parking sensors etc. knowing that I could have a go at retrofitting the bluetooth myself (and for an added bonus get USB support! - fingers crossed). I know this is a heavily discussed subject, but please bear with me, I have done my research.

So, I have the Sony single CD (no DAB) with MP3 support, and I've checked the firmware (press and hold 1 & 6 together then turn on stereo) and it's 05-03-03 so I think I'm also good for USB support. I've also got the correct light housing for the microphone and it looks like I have a wire stowed up there to clip the microphone into. I've taken the glovebox out and I'm pretty positive I don't have the wiring loom for the bluetooth/VC module so this is the only sticking point so far.

I'm just about ready to email Ford Parts UK to get a quote and place an order and could do with a few pointers before I go ahead. Any help is hugely appreciated.

1. I have the microphone wire, where does this come out? I had a 3 pin black and red socket taped to the existing AUX input cable, it had white/black, yellow/black, and black cables attached. Is this it? Once I've confirmed, how am I going to attach this up to the new wiring loom?
  2. I found an excellent guide to fitting USB in the glovebox with an original bezel to hold the USB here http://www.fordxr5tu...p?topic=12187.0 It says the the Nokia bluetooth module has been replaced with a Novero (1726157 Module (AU7T-19C112-AR) is this OK for my stereo and will it give me full USB/ Voice control support?
  3. Once I've got it all installed what do I need to ask Ford to program with the WDS, I've seen various things posted, but I get the feeling I'd turn up and they wouldn't know what I was on about? Can anyone tell me exactly what to ask for?
  4. I've gathered part numbers from all over the place, it looks like they get replaced with never versions, can anyone confirm the below?

Bluetooth:

1726157 Module (AU7T-19C112-AR, 2010 Module bluetooth BT/VC+USB Connect)

1353218 Module Bracket

1355147 Screw For Bracket x 2

1318965 Steering Control Stalk

1532666 Bluetooth Mic

1467152 Retrofit patch loom for universal fit. (there seems to be different versions of this for focus/fiesta??)

USB:

1543691 USB cable

1543450 USB socket

1550778 Glovebox bezel

Finally if anyone can recommend anywhere to get hold of some of the parts other than Ford Parts UK that would be appreciated, I've not had much luck sourcing stuff on eBay.

• Like 1

By the way, to save somebody else some pain here's some other links I've found:

bluetooth fitting guide: (thanks to DaveRushton)

http://dc121.4shared.com/doc/858qrNBX/preview.html

USB fitting to glovebox guide

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=12187.0

USB fitting to central console (armrest) guide:

http://www.ford-focus.dk/Forum/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?42141

With USB installed, updating stereo with ford software:

http://www.ford-mobile-connectivity.com/downloadsUpdates

To remove the stereo there's some guides on youtube, and to remove the glovebox see the second link above, and to remove the light fitting, pull out the clear plastic face to get to the bulbs, then use a screwdriver to release the metal clip and pull the light fitting out, then you can undo two screws to pull out the plastic surround which has the microphone fitting in (this is of course if you have the correct light fitting with space to fit a mic).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi nick, just wondering how your getting on with your retrofit bluetooth kit, I have a 08 focus titanium and want to do the same thing, I pulled the glove box out and I have the same plug as you, I have the correct interior light housing for the mic but haven't looked behind it yet. Just thought I'd see how you was getting on and if you have any tips.

Thanks mate

• 3 months later...

Yeah i want to do this as well, did you ever do this and did it work out?

cheers.

I am sure the wire attatched to the aux is not the mic wire, i just rewired with some 2 core and ran it to the centre light console, easiest thing to do, then just splice the wire and connect it! I did it about 8 months ago i think, really easy job, better to source the parts of eBay really.

If i remember correctly all you need is:

Mic,

2 core cable,

Patch cable,

BT module.

Then obviously if you want to add USB you will need more

Oh also, i am pretty sure the fiesta loom works, and it is cheaper!

• 10 months later...

Really sorry to resurrect this old thread! I've been trying to go through this upgrade in my 2008 Focus ST-3 but have run into difficulty and would really appreciate some advice.

So I was following this guide for reference:

bluetooth fitting guide: (thanks to DaveRushton)
http://dc121.4shared...BX/preview.html

On first inspection of the car I thought I already had the appropriate wiring loom coming out of the Sony 6CD head unit, so I went ahead and bought the bluetooth module, bracket, microphone and steering column music control stalk. Now that all the parts are here though I have realised that I don't have any connections to attach to the bluetooth module in the glove box area! It looks like I was mistaken and the head unit does not have the brown and white wires mentioned in the guide, so it looks like I've been a bit of a plank!

My question is, if I buy the "part no 1467152 this is a patch loom for universal fit." referenced in the guide, will this be all I need or do I need to now invest in a few more bits to get this working?

(For reference, so far I have these parts:

• Focus 2008-Module Bluetooth BT/VC+ USB Connect (with Voice Activated Module English)Part Number: 1754709(AU7T-19C112-AT) (QTY1)
  • Focus 2008 (+)"GB" 2.5L Duratec-ST (220/225PS) 3 Door RHD Steering Control Stalk (With Audio Controls) Part Number: 1318965(QTY1)
  • Focus 2008 (+)"GB" 2.5L Duratec-ST (220/225PS) 3 Door RHD Microphone Part Number: 1363463
  • Focus 2008 (+)"GB" 2.5L Duratec-ST (220/225PS) 3 Door RHD Module Bracket Part Number: 1353218

Thanks to anyone who can help me out and again, sorry to resurrect something so old! Just getting concerned that I've bitten off more than I can chew!

That's strange I thought most STs had the loom. Are you sure it is not taped up and hidden on the left hand side? The glove box has to be removed completely to see it. If you have the loom in place then the microphone is normally there too. Have a look at my guide here not sure if it will help you at all. The guide was going from bluetooth/voice control only (this was factory fitted in my car also an ST) to the USB version.

Hi James,

I can go check again now and report back. My car doesn't have any bluetooth technology fitted at all, so this is going in from scratch.

Cheers!

Also found to my disappointment that there is no wiring in the cabin light area for the microphone to plug into. Do I need something else? :(

If you have the loom already you may already have the microphone? Have you tried making a phone call?

Also have you checked to see if the software on your head unit is new enough?

What is the production date of your car?

Early Focus MK2.5 versions which are produced until approximately 04-2008 did still have the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system with Mono sound. This is exactly the same system which was also available for the Focus MK2. After approximately 04-2008 Ford introduced the new Stereo Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system which was also available as the Sound & Connect version (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol, Ipod, USB and bluetooth Audio support).

The wiring of the old and new system is different. I suspect your car is equipped with the old wiring. The old type wiring/radio and a Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module of the new system are not compatible. Because of the different wiring there is no sound transmitted from the module to the radio. It is possible to change the old wiring to the new pinout by adding/rerouting wires.

The easiest way to check the wiring is to take a look at the AUX-in wiring. On the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system the AUX-in wiring is routed directly to the radio. On the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system the AUX-in wiring is routed through the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. The module uses the AUX-in of the radio for Stereo sound.

It is also receommended to check the firmware version of your radio. When pressing the 1 and 6 button simultaneously the radio will show all hardware/firmware numbers. There should be a number which looks like 05-xx-xx. This is the firmware version of the radio. For Ipod, USB and bluetooth Audio support the firmware version must start with a 5 or higher. Firmware versions which start with a 4 or below are not suitable.

• Like 1

What is the production date of your car?

Early Focus MK2.5 versions which are produced until approximately 04-2008 did still have the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system with Mono sound. This is exactly the same system which was also available for the Focus MK2. After approximately 04-2008 Ford introduced the new Stereo Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system which was also available as the Sound & Connect version (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol, Ipod, USB and Bluetooth Audio support).

The wiring of the old and new system is different. I suspect your car is equipped with the old wiring. The old type wiring/radio and a Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module of the new system are not compatible. Because of the different wiring there is no sound transmitted from the module to the radio. It is possible to change the old wiring to the new pinout by adding/rerouting wires.

The easiest way to check the wiring is to take a look at the AUX-in wiring. On the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system the AUX-in wiring is routed directly to the radio. On the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system the AUX-in wiring is routed through the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. The module uses the AUX-in of the radio for Stereo sound.

It is also receommended to check the firmware version of your radio. When pressing the 1 and 6 button simultaneously the radio will show all hardware/firmware numbers. There should be a number which looks like 05-xx-xx. This is the firmware version of the radio. For Ipod, USB and Bluetooth Audio support the firmware version must start with a 5 or higher. Firmware versions which start with a 4 or below are not suitable.

What about later cars like 2009/10 that have aux but do not have a bluetooth module from the factory? People have still retrofitted into them?

The firmware version is 05-03-02. The aux wiring goes into the stereo as I have never had a bluetooth module until yesterday. As a result I'm guessing I have the older wiring loom design?

You mentioned changing the wiring. Would that be the case of buying a new part or doing a rewire myself? Though I would prefer not to spend more money I would most likely try to buy a new part unless it's a simple change as I don't know much about rewiring things!

Would the aforementioned universal patch wiring loom part no. 1467152 be suitable for this?

What about later cars like 2009/10 that have aux but do not have a bluetooth module from the factory? People have still retrofitted into them?

Later Focus MK2.5 versions without Bluetooth/Voicecontrol but with the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring already fitted do have a loop connector between the wiring loom. There are a number of different loop connectors available. Which loop connector is needed depends on production date, with or without AUX-in, with or without bluetooth/voicecontrol, etc. After retrofitting the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system it may be nescessary to change the loop connector for the correct version. If the wrong (or no) loop connectoris installed there will be no sound at all of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

The firmware version is 05-03-02. The aux wiring goes into the stereo as I have never had a Bluetooth module until yesterday. As a result I'm guessing I have the older wiring loom design?

You mentioned changing the wiring. Would that be the case of buying a new part or doing a rewire myself? Though I would prefer not to spend more money I would most likely try to buy a new part unless it's a simple change as I don't know much about rewiring things!

Would the aforementioned universal patch wiring loom part no. 1467152 be suitable for this?

Your radio supports USB. If this is the radio which was originally installed into the car at the factory your car should also have the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring. Another way of checking the wiring is to take a closer look at the connector of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

On the new wiring PIN 5, 6 , 19, 23, 37 and 38 must be occupied (these are the AUX-in wires). On the old wiring these Pins are not occupied.

If your car has the new wiring you have to search for the loop connector and change it for the correct type. This connector can be well hidden. Usually it is taped on the interior wiring loom somewhere behind the glovebox.

Ok I will check the pin out on the bluetooth module connector today and let you know.

I believe the radio is the factory installed unit. As such are you saying that I do in fact have the right wiring in the car and that I just need to find it and change it around?

Just checked the pins on the bluetooth module connector and could barely make them out, sorry :(. Would the above information be enough to go off of?

Also stupid question but what does the loop connector look like? My glove box is out of the car at the moment so I can take a look...

The loop connector looks like a connector with some wires wich are connected to the connector at both ends.

The loop connector looks like this:

up69070-post-29-1258566157.jpg

I feel pretty stupid but I couldn't find it... I looked for around 20 minutes and even went so far as to put my head in the glovebox with a light to try and get a better look but not luck :(

I noticed that my aux wiring cable (4 pin connector plug with a red tip) goes straight through to the Sony 6CD Head unit without entering the glovebox proper. It just skirts around the top edge near where the glovebox door would close. On this aux cable there is another connector attached, this time a 6 pin connector with a red tip. I'm guessing this is for USB?

I saw on the talkford forum that someone had a problem with the same wiring type as me, where they couldn't hear the sound from bluetooth audio streaming but could see the song titles on the stereo head unit. Their suggestion was to purchase Ford part 1667645 (Ford Focus Mk2.5 Retrofit Harness to connect between the harness and the stereo, with a plug for the BT/VC module and a plug for the microphone). Does this sound like it is the correct solution to my problem?

Thanks all for your help with this one.

The loop connector is only present on the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring. The old wiring did not have a loop connector.

The loop connector is usually pretty hard to find. It should be taped on the interior wiring loom and can not be seen without removing the tape.

The retrofit wiring harness could be a good solution for your problem but in my opinion it is a bit expensive. It would be much cheaper to completely check your cars wiring and modify it if needed.

I retrofitted the complete MK2.5 Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol with USB, Ipod an bluetooth Audio support) into my 2005 MK2. I made all the wiring myself using an interior wiring loom of a Focus MK2.5. At the time I did the retrofit there was almost no information/experience with retrofitting this system. At that time I took the interior wiring loom apart. By reverse engineering I made a schematic drawing of the MK2.5 Bluetooth/voicecontrol wiring.

Bluetoothschema.jpg

Bluetoothmodulepinout.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, I'm a complete Newbie on here. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2008 ST3, with the NX sat nav touchscreen head unit, but there also seems to be not bluetooth. My steering wheel stalk has the voice button, but definitely no bluetooth. The ford etis site also confirms this.

I have been scanning the net for ways to install a module, including this thread. As yet I have not checked to see if I have the loom or mic, so I have to assume that I don't at present.

Anyway, I went into my local Ford dealership today and I was told by both the parts and the service desk that 'if the bluetooth was not fitted in the factory then it cannot be fitted after'. They told me there were no parts that I could purchase, then proceeded to recommend a Parrot.

Can anyone advise on this as looking at what some of you guys are saying it looks like my dealership are talking rubbish. If I got all the parts, would my head unit still not work because of not being factory enabled for bluetooth maybe.

Please please help me understand how this works.

I retro fitted bluetooth / USB into my old ST which didn't have it fitted from the factory and got it working without any problems. You just need to obtain all the part numbers and give it a bash. I made a how to over on the Focus ST owners club but can't get access to it now that I'm not a member anymore :(

Ignore your dealer as it is possible without taking your car in to have it setup.