Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

What about later cars like 2009/10 that have aux but do not have a bluetooth module from the factory? People have still retrofitted into them?

Later Focus MK2.5 versions without Bluetooth/Voicecontrol but with the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring already fitted do have a loop connector between the wiring loom. There are a number of different loop connectors available. Which loop connector is needed depends on production date, with or without AUX-in, with or without bluetooth/voicecontrol, etc. After retrofitting the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system it may be nescessary to change the loop connector for the correct version. If the wrong (or no) loop connectoris installed there will be no sound at all of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

The firmware version is 05-03-02. The aux wiring goes into the stereo as I have never had a Bluetooth module until yesterday. As a result I'm guessing I have the older wiring loom design?

You mentioned changing the wiring. Would that be the case of buying a new part or doing a rewire myself? Though I would prefer not to spend more money I would most likely try to buy a new part unless it's a simple change as I don't know much about rewiring things!

Would the aforementioned universal patch wiring loom part no. 1467152 be suitable for this?

Your radio supports USB. If this is the radio which was originally installed into the car at the factory your car should also have the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring. Another way of checking the wiring is to take a closer look at the connector of the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

On the new wiring PIN 5, 6 , 19, 23, 37 and 38 must be occupied (these are the AUX-in wires). On the old wiring these Pins are not occupied.

If your car has the new wiring you have to search for the loop connector and change it for the correct type. This connector can be well hidden. Usually it is taped on the interior wiring loom somewhere behind the glovebox.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Carv

Carv

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus ST-3
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ok I will check the pin out on the Bluetooth module connector today and let you know.

I believe the radio is the factory installed unit. As such are you saying that I do in fact have the right wiring in the car and that I just need to find it and change it around?

#18 Carv

Carv

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just checked the pins on the Bluetooth module connector and could barely make them out, sorry :(. Would the above information be enough to go off of?

#19 Carv

Carv

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Also stupid question but what does the loop connector look like? My glove box is out of the car at the moment so I can take a look...

#20 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

The loop connector looks like a connector with some wires wich are connected to the connector at both ends.

The loop connector looks like this:

up69070-post-29-1258566157.jpg

#21 Carv

Carv

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

I feel pretty stupid but I couldn't find it... I looked for around 20 minutes and even went so far as to put my head in the glovebox with a light to try and get a better look but not luck :(

I noticed that my aux wiring cable (4 pin connector plug with a red tip) goes straight through to the Sony 6CD Head unit without entering the glovebox proper. It just skirts around the top edge near where the glovebox door would close. On this aux cable there is another connector attached, this time a 6 pin connector with a red tip. I'm guessing this is for USB?

I saw on the talkford forum that someone had a problem with the same wiring type as me, where they couldn't hear the sound from Bluetooth audio streaming but could see the song titles on the stereo head unit. Their suggestion was to purchase Ford part 1667645 (Ford Focus Mk2.5 Retrofit Harness to connect between the harness and the stereo, with a plug for the BT/VC module and a plug for the microphone). Does this sound like it is the correct solution to my problem?

Thanks all for your help with this one.

#22 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

The loop connector is only present on the new Bluetooth/Voicecontrol wiring. The old wiring did not have a loop connector.

The loop connector is usually pretty hard to find. It should be taped on the interior wiring loom and can not be seen without removing the tape.  

The retrofit wiring harness could be a good solution for your problem but in my opinion it is a bit expensive. It would be much cheaper to completely check your cars wiring and modify it if needed.

I retrofitted the complete MK2.5 Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol with USB, Ipod an Bluetooth Audio support) into my 2005 MK2. I made all the wiring myself using an interior wiring loom of a Focus MK2.5. At the time I did the retrofit there was almost no information/experience with retrofitting this system. At that time I took the interior wiring loom apart. By reverse engineering I made a schematic drawing of the MK2.5 Bluetooth/voicecontrol wiring.

Bluetoothschema.jpg

Bluetoothmodulepinout.jpg

#23 jonnyp672

jonnyp672

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus ST-3 Mk2.5

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hi guys, I'm a complete Newbie on here. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2008 ST3, with the NX sat nav touchscreen head unit, but there also seems to be not bluetooth. My steering wheel stalk has the voice button, but definitely no bluetooth. The ford etis site also confirms this.
I have been scanning the net for ways to install a module, including this thread. As yet I have not checked to see if I have the loom or mic, so I have to assume that I don't at present.

Anyway, I went into my local Ford dealership today and I was told by both the parts and the service desk that 'if the bluetooth was not fitted in the factory then it cannot be fitted after'. They told me there were no parts that I could purchase, then proceeded to recommend a Parrot.

Can anyone advise on this as looking at what some of you guys are saying it looks like my dealership are talking rubbish. If I got all the parts, would my head unit still not work because of not being factory enabled for bluetooth maybe.

Please please help me understand how this works.

#24 Willy

Willy

Mountune'd 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (Midnight Sky)

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,370 posts
  • Name: Willy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium MP135
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

I retro fitted bluetooth / USB into my old ST which didn't have it fitted from the factory and got it working without any problems. You just need to obtain all the part numbers and give it a bash. I made a how to over on the Focus ST owners club but can't get access to it now that I'm not a member anymore :(
Ignore your dealer as it is possible without taking your car in to have it setup.

#25 Willy

Willy

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,370 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

http://www.focusstoc...sb-instalation/

You'll need to be a paid member to read my post.

#26 jonnyp672

jonnyp672

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Thanks mate. I can't see your post, any chance you can take some screen shots and add them as pictures.

Anyway, if I do not have any wiring loom or anything, would I be correct in thinking that all I need is

1. The BT module
2. The wiring loom that plugs into the module and the head unit loom (is this just one single loom? As I have seen people mention some loop connections)
3. Microphone.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

#27 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 782 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'm not 100% this will work with your head unit Jonny. Could be wrong. I retro fitted but have a Sony HU. Not sure if willy retro fitted with your head unit or a sony

#28 Willy

Willy

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,370 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Higgsy right. You'll need a Sony head unit. As mentioned in my last post, I can't access the FocusSToc site as I'm not a paid member anymore but all the loom parts and links to other how to guides are in my post.

Just to clarify. You'll need (if you haven't already) the following

Head Unit
USB loom
Head unit - Bluetooth module loom (if not already fitted)
Ignition loom
Mic loom (loop connector)
Audio loom (loop connector)
BT module
Mic

All the looms new from Ford will set you back arround £400.

#29 jonnyp672

jonnyp672

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks guys. Do you think that if I find that the bluetooth loom is in place already, would you expect the mic loop and audio loop to also be there?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

#30 Willy

Willy

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,370 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Only if you have sat nav from the factory

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bluetooth, usb, retrofit, sony, titanium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users