Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie Question

oldskooliain

Hello people, just a quick question. Going to view a mark 4 (S plate) Fiesta 1.4 Ghia X this evening for the girlfriend. Have looked at the site, and couldn't find a buyers guide. Don't really have a clue about Fords as am VW man myself, but what sort of things should I look out for when viewing and test driving it? Are there any problems this model is prone to?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Hello people, just a quick question. Going to view a mark 4 (S plate) Fiesta 1.4 Ghia X this evening for the girlfriend. Have looked at the site, and couldn't find a buyers guide. Don't really have a clue about Fords as am VW man myself, but what sort of things should I look out for when viewing and test driving it? Are there any problems this model is prone to?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

The only things i would be aware of is rusiting under the body arches ie. above the wheels under the panels,

also feel the carpet for damp which may be caused by a leak and lift the car matts to look for signs of map stains where a leak may have occoured,

finally then remove the spare wheel and inspect the well for signs of rust or holes.

get the car out for a run then feel the exhaust tip,

if it is very hot then the head gasket could be on the way out or if their is white smoke when reving then this is the same thing, but a small ammount of white smoke when sitting idle is ok because it can be moisture built up in the back box of the exhaust system and nothing to worry about.

but blue smoke would be oil due to bad compression seals on the pistons.

also lift the engine oil cap and look under the cap for signs of white clouding,

this can also be a sign that the head gasket is going or leaking.

other than that, ask ''if the timing belt has been changed and when'' it may not have done the miles to have been changed but the age of the car should have had its timing belt changed,

Cheers Lenny. Car has apparantly only done 30,000 miles so hoping it'll be in good condition. How much would it roughly cost to sort the head gasket before it actually goes?

Cheers Lenny. Car has apparantly only done 30,000 miles so hoping it'll be in good condition. How much would it roughly cost to sort the head gasket before it actually goes?

the Gasket seal itself mate is around £50 but its the labour involved that puts the price of it up to around £200-£300 depending on the garage and how busy they are, if their not that busy you would get a good deal on the work done, but if i was getting the head gasket done id also get the timing belt and water pump done at the same time while they have the engine apart, then the car should be good for the next five years unless the battery or altinator decide to give you trouble.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club