• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec 1.8
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi all,

I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice about my car. I noticed a patch of oil on the drive so I took it to my mechanics. They had a look and say that the crankshaft seal is caput. They can't fit me in until Friday, but say it is okay to drive until then because it is not a heavy leak.

Now, I have a bit of a problem with the mechanic. I asked how much it would cost. "Oh, I don't know." I asked how many hours it would take and he wouldn't say. I asked if we are talking megabucks and he said "No," but wouldn't be any more accurate than that.

When the car last went in as a tow-away (the clutch went) he rang me up and told me what the cost would be before fixing it. Is he being secretive this time because the car is driveable, so I could ring around different garages to find the best price? I am going to press him on the price anyway as I have lost my bankcard- I need to know how much cash to take.

So, my questions are :

1. How many hour's labour would be reasonable for this job?
2. What kind of price is the part?
3. Is it possible that the senior mechanic can't tell me what the price is, ie. could there be unexpected problems?
4. Is the car okay to drive 150-200 miles before Friday? I need the car for work but don't want to knacker the gearbox.

Thanks is advance,

JJ

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Drich290195

Drich290195

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi
  • Year: 2006

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Their should be no Reason why he can't give u a price

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,228 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

General rule of thumb, if the garage won't quote you a price then find another garage.

#4 John Jones

John Jones

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Righto, thanks.

I shall be ringing round other garages on Monday.

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,103 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Which crankshaft seal is it? The timing belt end or gearbox end?

#6 John Jones

John Jones

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I don't know- does it make a big difference to the complexity of the job?

#7 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,103 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yes, if it's the timing end you will be best to purchase a new timing belt and tensioner and have it fitted at the same time - old one is coming off anyway.
If its the gearbox end then the gearbox, clutch and flywheel need to be removed.
Not sure what the labour times for your car will be for each tho

#8 jnb1

jnb1

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: Josh
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Sport

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

As already stated, find yourself another garage. Going in blind without a quote is always asking for trouble, as once its done, you almost have to pay, no matter what price he gives you

There was an article recentlly on money saving expert, stating that taking your car to a council depot garage can be a wise move, as they are responsible for the maintiance on your local police cars and ambulances etc. Therefore, there is no insentive to overcharge you, or to 'create faults' that don't need fixing. See if there is one in your area.

#9 Andy 1965

Andy 1965

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2002

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

My local garage charges £40 per hour. They know what they are doing, though and do not rip you off. I recently got the timing belt, tensioner and aux. belt fitted and he only charged me for two hours labour. I gave him a £30 bung on top of that and supplied the Gates' kit and aux. belt myself. Total cost including the parts was £170. I thought this was reasonable.

#10 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

The smartest way to approach this is to phone around as many garages as you can, then take the lowest quote you have to that garage and tell them either to match it or you'll have it done elsewhere.

They shouldn't be starting work on your car without fully informing you of how much it's going to cost.

#11 STEADS

STEADS

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi think your looking at 2.5 to 3 hrs if its gearbox side i,d say about 2 hrs timing belt side belt has to come off to do that side so might as well have it replaced will be covered in oiil anyways which even if cleaned will deteriate it crank seals are easy its what you have to do to get at them he wont give you a price as they might well suggest the above or new clutch if there doing the other end which its not as daft as it apopears if find to be worn kill to birds with one stone as to speak .

#12 John Jones

John Jones

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

From what you've said I suspect it is the gearbox end as the fella mentioned taking bits out... so I'm guessing a 3 hour(ish) job. A new clutch and cylinder was fitted a couple of months ago, so I don't want that doing again.

Still, thanks for your replies- I feel a little better informed for when I face the garages tomorrow.

#13 John Jones

John Jones

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Ok, I just rang round some garages and got some frightening quotes. I then rang my garage back prepared for a fight and he said, "No, it's not the crank shaft seal, it's the drive shaft seal."

He reckons the cost will be £90 max.

Tank de lard.

#14 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Ok, I just rang round some garages and got some frightening quotes. I then rang my garage back prepared for a fight and he said, "No, it's not the crank shaft seal, it's the drive shaft seal."

He reckons the cost will be £90 max.

Tank de lard.

So why did he say crankshaft seal originally :S :S? Or did you just mishear first time around :P?

Good your happy with the price, but you could probably half that if you bought the part and gave it a go yourself - it's not the EASIEST of jobs (it's pretty easy, but not as easy as say, changing an air filter), but for that kind of repair the Haynes manual instructions are very good, very clear, and even a relative novice could make a good go of it.

For the seal itself, you're talking £10 max. Another £10 for a used Haynes manual, and if you absolutely don't know anybody with tools, probably about £25-30 on the necessary ones from Halfords or something. Will probably take you twice or three times as long as a mechanic would, but if you're willing to persevere, learn and make a go of it, you'll save quite a few pennies!

#15 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,103 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

I done a driveshaft seal a few months back on a mk2 1.6 focus, cost me about a fiver for a genuine seal from ford and about an hour say to fit. £90 is a bit steep!

It has more than likely started leaking because it was disturbed doing the clutch - this is quite common

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users