Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Internet Security Do You Use

fiestaxr2i

Made a giant difference to a 6 year old Vista computer I'd robbed the harddrive from years back :P 27 seconds til I could load up Skyrim. 4 hours for the graphics processor to catch up >_>

so this SSD talk has got me interested, could i install this in a laptop? My PC is used by my kids and it can stay the way it is but i would love my laptop to be quicker as its a few years old now and could do with some Shell Nitro!

Yeah should work fine in a laptop, you will just want to double check what size drive is in it - usually a 2.5".

yeah, just bear in mind that the smaller drives are better value, but a large one to ultimately replace your other HDD is much more expensive, you may want to invest in an external 2.5" USB powered HDD that you can use for other storage, but its less of a problem if your laptop supports 2 x hard drives.

so this SSD talk has got me interested, could i install this in a laptop? My PC is used by my kids and it can stay the way it is but i would love my laptop to be quicker as its a few years old now and could do with some Shell Nitro!

What would your price range be and how much storage do you need?

128ish will net you around 108GB in total, which is enough for you OS and a few files (OS takes like, 20GB at most really) so you'll have plenty of room, but you may need an external hard drive.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-sandisk-ultra-plus-7mm-slim-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-530mb-s-write-290mb-s-80000-iops-3max

The Sandisk has a quick read speed and a good write speed, and is one of the best for the price.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-sandisk-extreme-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-550mb-s-write-510mb-s-23000-iops-83000-iops-max

If you can do with about 100GB, then that is definitely the pick, a very quick SSD, and again Sandisk so a very good brand.

256gb is what you want if you do a fair bit on your computer, have movies, music, games and pictures. Probably around 218 - 220GB on this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-sandisk-ultra-plus-7mm-slim-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-530mb-s-write-445mb-s-82000-iops-max

This is the extreme version, marked up at 240GB, you'll probably get more like 210ish.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-sandisk-extreme-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-550mb-s-write-520mb-s-83000-iops-max

Now you need a way of cloning your hard drive, best thing to do is research on the internet for this, there's about 500 ways to do it, if you want then ring Scan, they're fantastic with the information they give you. They'll sort you out start-to-finish.

If you want more storage then you're going to pay, £250+ for 500GB storage, and then you're going slower than the cheaper ones (to drive down price), for an equivalent, you're on £300+.

Now those are only really recommendations, I really would give Scan a ring, I've gone a few times with a list of bits where half are overkill, and saved a fair penny as a result.

Try a hybrid drive, it has a standard platter drive and a smaller SSD mounted in it so you get a large amount of storage and SSD boot rate for one package.-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161024274149

Hybrid's are good for small bits of things, but to truly speed up you want an SSD. Hybrid's make fantastic external storage though, and they do help pick up your system if it's a bit slower, but I'd only use one of these if you're looking at replacing a hard drive with another larger one.

It'll help, and you can store your OS on the SSD part for quicker start up, but that's about it. The dedicated SSD is much better, and if honest not really much more expensive.

Hybrids dont actually let you access the SSD part of the device as its used for caching this is what makes it quicker, if you have the money you would be better to just buy a corsair accelerator for your current hdd if desktop. Well thats how the Seagate XT drives work anyway, definately a handy performance increase over a standard drive anyway, but whether it will help you is another matter depending on what you do with your machine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club