Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 ken

ken

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

As per Jack's request for photos of the connecter from a steering wheel with cruise control:

If these are not right, just let me know.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Name: Jack
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 Sport Van 95hp.
  • Year: 2010

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks the photos are spot on!

The only thing is, it has made me so much more confused! I was expecting 5 more wires going into the other side or something! But theres only 2 exta there (someone correct me if I'm being stupid).

So now I'm not so sure it will be an easy swap around :/.

#34 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

The only thing is, it has made me so much more confused! I was expecting 5 more wires going into the other side or something! But theres only 2 exta there (someone correct me if I'm being stupid).

Correct, as some of the wires join up with the stereo only 2 additional pins are used on the plug.

#35 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Correct, as some of the wires join up with the stereo only 2 additional pins are used on the plug.

Right, so 5 extra buttons, but only 2 extra wires :wacko:. There isn't a 2nd white plug there is there?

Also, how is all the middle of the wheel taken out?

#36 ken

ken

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thanks the photos are spot on!

So now I'm not so sure it will be an easy swap around :/.

from what i can see, there are 4 wires coming from each set of buttons yet only 7 entering the white connector block... there is defintely no other connector block

there is however an earthing point and 2 spade connectors

has that added to your confusion??

As Nath said earlier, its probably easier to just get the full steering wheel (have i mentioned that i have one for sale lol ;) )

#37 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Right, so 5 extra buttons, but only 2 extra wires :wacko:. There isn't a 2nd white plug there is there?

Also, how is all the middle of the wheel taken out?

Thre will be a common feed and a lighting circuits in the wheel controls, so I guess my iniital thought thtat it's simple switches is wrong, and it must be resistances.

Taking it out without damaging the wheel is an art, Ford and the Haynes manual method would damage the wheel, I'll leave it to Nathan to describe his artwork or removing it without damange, however remember it's live had has some battery backup so you need to disconenct the battery and leave it for 10-20 minutes before trying to avoid accidentally tripping the air bag behind the wheel centre..

#38 Jack Osman

Jack Osman

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Ahhh great, I guess its just easier to buy the buttons then! :P

What a shame I can't do this on the cheep!

#39 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
Contributor

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Ahhh great, I guess its just easier to buy the buttons then! :P

What a shame I can't do this on the cheep!

Even if you buy the buttons you need to remove the airbag... If you look at Kens first photo of the wheel there are two hooks about on the centre line There are clips in the airbag module that clip into that,. Fords way is to puncture the wheel at the small indents that are at the back of the wheel at about 4 and 8 o'clock (you may need to look at you wheel ) and push in a screwdriver to disengage them, Nathan does it without damage by removing the steering column cover and going in that way. Having seen him do it I could probably do it myself given time, but it's hard to describe.

Cheap depends on what you mean, Ford won't do the job at all, they only sell Fiesta Titaniums with Cruise control so anythings cheaper than Ford's options, and in my case I paid £60 for the wheel and sold the wheel without the insert (as I said remember it's a half leather one) on for £30, so it was not that expensive. Nathan also activated Powerfold Mirrors and again I bought the parts used and sold the non power fold ones on for about half way I paid for the power folds.

Nathan has costs too and that needs to be put in but overall I paid £150 in total for two features Ford would have never given me in a dealership as they were not factory fitted.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users