Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dab Radio

Jwsturner

Does anyone know what parts are needed for the DAB aerial? I've just bought a Sony stereo but understand that I would need to get the DAB area seperately.

I think (and check with your dealer before purchasing as I cannot be held responsible) that the part you need is 1748714.

fiestadabaerial.png

Is that Ford part list open to anyone or is that something only your self has access to?

It is obtainable on the internet, or so I've heard ;)

I have another problem which hopefully someone (iNath) can help me with?

sony2.jpg

The rear of the CD unit has different connectors. The two on the right ar the aerials. However, the larger multipole connectors are different. Does anyone know if there's an adaptor cable or away around this?

I do not know of anyone making adaptors at the moment, sorry :(

Bugger! Do you have any details on the connectors? What are the pinouts?

It is obtainable on the internet, or so I've heard ;)

And can I be a cheeky bugger and ask where it is obtainable? :ph34r:

I have another problem which hopefully someone (iNath) can help me with?

sony2.jpg

The rear of the CD unit has different connectors. The two on the right ar the aerials. However, the larger multipole connectors are different. Does anyone know if there's an adaptor cable or away around this?

Hey jwsturner,

Hey could you take a look at the label on the side and let us know the numbers or better still, take a picture and load it!!! I am desperately trying to get the part no. Model No. of a Sony DAB radio!!! The one with the black face!!!

Problem i got is I'm being told the black 'Sony' radio's (DAB & non DAB) are just the fascia bit (front black part) and the bulky bit that sits behind that the disc slides into is the same as a radio i had recently!!??? Surely the Sony units (DAB or Not) would be different to the standard DAB radio Ford put in some fiesta models.

Really grateful if you could help, the Sony DAB unit i had looks the same at the rear as the one in your picture, my power lead fitted straight into the right plug, the left plug was for the dab module that goes at the rear of the car in the boot, so im told! As well as the DAB aerial on the black aerial plug! The white plug was FM.

Hi, I will take a photo when I get chance. I bought a complete setup (display, fascia and cd unit). As you can see the connectors are different so I can't use the cd unit. The screen doesn't work with my existing cd unit even though the connector fits. The facia however does connect to my existing cd unit and works, however there are a few additional buttons (like DSP) that don't do anything. But most things seem to work as before.

Hi, I will take a photo when I get chance. I bought a complete setup (display, fascia and cd unit). As you can see the connectors are different so I can't use the cd unit. The screen doesn't work with my existing cd unit even though the connector fits. The facia however does connect to my existing cd unit and works, however there are a few additional buttons (like DSP) that don't do anything. But most things seem to work as before.

Thanks that would be great as soon as you can, wow you bought the lot!! They were pretty reasonably priced but i think ppls are getting on board on their value now being sought after, and prices have shot up! Yes i was told that if you have a 2011 onwards spec Fiesta they will fit in, but the first of the new model radio connectors were different! So the black n white display won't work with the existing radio, hmm! I know the normal Display screen works on the Sony dab radio, because the dab Sony that was tried in my car worked fine!

I guess the DSP only works with the dab systems, as there are a few extra modules fitted to the cars, on the whole connectors being different - i know i don't suffer that same problem, but i was thinking this being ford, their wiring colours might be pretty standard across the board so you may be able to copy like for like, you first need to get hold of a breaking mk8 > fiesta and take the plug from the car's loom in the dash so it slots in the back of the radio, and being oem, the wires are already in place so as i said, if wire colours are the same it may help, you wont need to worry where they go at least.

Alternatively, the radio has male pins, so you would need female on the loom, i wonder if there is an Autoleads adaptor lead that you could use? Like when you remove an oem unit to put a standard iso unit in and do it that way!

I would start making trips down to your local breakers yard for mk8 fiestas, they would have already removed the audio unit, snip snip the plug and leave enough cable to work with, remember to get both plugs for the dab stereo!

It has been done, just takes time, and knowing their colours and what they do helps.. I will keep an eye out down here in my neck of the woods for a breaking mk8. Are you going to buy the module and cable that goes in the rear of the car.?

So the black n white display won't work with the existing radio, hmm! I know the normal Display screen works on the Sony dab radio, because the dab Sony that was tried in my car worked fine!

I have used the Sony screen with the standard radio and it worked fine. Will dig out a pic when I'm up home. Only sold it on because the black looked out of place with all the red in my car.

I have used the Sony screen with the standard radio and it worked fine. Will dig out a pic when I'm up home. Only sold it on because the black looked out of place with all the red in my car.

Is the Sony screen just...a screen or part of a module for the DAB..? I need URGENT HELP!!!! Going to start a new thread...

Is the Sony screen just...a screen or part of a module for the DAB..? I need URGENT HELP!!!! Going to start a new thread...

As far as I know it's just a screen. Only Ford technical could give you a full answer though (£1.50/minute phone call or write them a letter!)

As far as I know it's just a screen. Only Ford technical could give you a full answer though (£1.50/minute phone call or write them a letter!)

The ford tech guys cannot get it all to work, i thought it was just a screen too. Started a new thread with a full run down!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks jws,

Yes it is the same model i had a few months ago... It went into my vehicle fine, but i was told all fiesta 2011 onwards have the same plug connector.

All redundant now as me car is kaput..

• 6 months later...

I think (and check with your dealer before purchasing as I cannot be held responsible) that the part you need is 1748714.

fiestadabaerial.png

Hi, I have a 2012 fiesta. It had the standard Ford stereo in, none DAB. I bought a Sony/DAB stereo off eBay, I have fitted it and I get no DAB menu, Do I just need this cable to be able to get it working? How does it connect. I went to my local Ford dealer Today, the part number is now 1803231 and it costs £36.20 but the man in the parts department wasn't sure that's all I needed.

The Sony DAB stereo I have is model RADIO AHU DAB, Part number AA6T-18C815-XB. Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi. Did you ever sort this?

(Mods: Hope it's ok to resurrect this rather than create another post?)

To fit a DAB radio to your car you need the DAB aerial, base and associated wiring.

You're best off getting all the bits from Ford to guarantee compatability.

I did a guide for fitting one into a Focus but apart from the aerial all the other part numbers are very likely to be different.

Fitting a DAB radio to a MK2.5 Focus.pdf

To fit a DAB radio to your car you need the DAB aerial, base and associated wiring.

You're best off getting all the bits from Ford to guarantee compatability.

I did a guide for fitting one into a Focus but apart from the aerial all the other part numbers are very likely to be different.

Fitting a DAB radio to a MK2.5 Focus.pdf

Ignore stoney871's reply. With that model if radio that might be correct. With the stereo fitted in newer fords there is more to it than that. Even with a DAB Ford stereo I do not even get a DAB option on the unit. My local Ford dealer were clueless and pretty much said it can't be done. I use Pure Highway DAB tuner sending it over FM to my Ford stereo. I gave up trying to get it working

It can be done or else why do Ford sell DAB radios for the Fiesta.

Telling someone to ignore my post is a tad presumptuous.

The guy asked for advice and I offered some.

I reckon you need to change your dealers if they can't do something as simple as plug in some wires.

Sorry Stoney. I didn't want a Forum member going out spending hard earned money based on your guide only to get nowhere. The method you quoted will not work for the newer stereos. They don't even get a DAB menu unless the car was originally fitted with a DAB stereo. Nobody has been able to tell me how to resolve that.

That is why I recommended going to a Dealer to check parts.

I posted my guide as a reference only.

I did not state that my guide was how it should be done on the Fiesta.

Personally I reckon DAB is all a waste of money.

Poor coverage, bad signal, outdated infrastructure and expensive radios.

I use Internet radio streamed from a Ipod touch 4 linked to a 4G Mi-Fi and can get pretty much every channel available in hi-def sound for a couple of megs worth of data per week.

Pretty much anyone could stream from a 3G/4G phone for pennies a day.

I once considered a Highway DAB radio but felt it was bulky and not pleasing to the eye.

BTW read up on DAB and DAB+ for facts concerning how outdated DAB is.

It was never fully rolled out due to lack of frequency availability and interference from adjacent frequencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting