Rh1no

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Name: Rhino
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just wondered if anyone here has done any advanced driving/IAM type courses or qualifications, and what your views are on them?

I was looking into the IAM and noticed they do a Momentum course aimed at under 26's.

Apart from Pass Plus, I've done nothing since passing my test 3 years ago, would be quite interested in doing something else!

:)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Millsy1

Millsy1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Name: gary
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

spending all this money on driving courses, at the end of the day does it lower our insurance ?
i found alot of companys offer pass plus drivers..but at times they cost more then a company without it.

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,035 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm Advanced Driver and Pursuit Trained but that's for the job, helps my insurance though.

#4 Rh1no

Rh1no

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

spending all this money on driving courses, at the end of the day does it lower our insurance ?
i found alot of companys offer pass plus drivers..but at times they cost more then a company without it.

Was thinking for for the skills and experience really mate.

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Pass plus here, but nothing else!

I would love to do some advanced driving courses, but the cost is more than a years insurance for some courses... if it would pay for itself several times over in insurance savings, I would give it a go, otherwise...

#6 Paddy H

Paddy H

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Name: Patrick
  • Ford Model: Focus MK 2.5 Zetec S 1.6
  • Year: 2009

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

To be honest i once did pass plus but lost certificate so that never helped. For being in the job i do i can do my advanced driver and the skid car etc etc if i really wanted to. But like anything deep down does it help alot with insurance?

Is there a way i can find online if I've done pass plus? well i know i have but it is there a database or something at all?

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,035 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

You could give DVLA a shout.

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Pass Plus is only counted for the first two or three years, after that its better hung on your wall, because its going to affect your insurance premiums as much hung on a wall as in the insurers database!

#9 JennyUK

JennyUK

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: Jenny
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2011

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Is pass plus worth a go, not just for the insurance but as a general thing to do?
I've been driving my dads cars for years but this is the first time I've ever owned a car myself. I'm just wondering if it's worth a go..

#10 Rh1no

Rh1no

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Is pass plus worth a go, not just for the insurance but as a general thing to do?
I've been driving my dads cars for years but this is the first time I've ever owned a car myself. I'm just wondering if it's worth a go..

I would Jen, gave me some motorway and fast road experience, and gives you some more confidence to learn as you go :)

#11 JennyUK

JennyUK

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: Jenny
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2011

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

I have plenty of road, motorway, country and I've even drove on the other side of the road in America :) I fear I won't actually learn anything new but least I can say I've done it haha

#12 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

to be honest, pass plus is only beneficial to you, once you have passed your test. It is designed to give the inexperienced motorist, the opportunity to get a vote of confidence with someone more qualified.

If you pass your test today, go get it, it helps, if not on your insurance, but in your day to day confidence... my mother has been driving a long time and still has no confidence on driving on motorways, it would benefit her, but for those like you (Jenny) who already have experience, it wouldnt be worth the cost.

If your petrified of motorways, and have been driving a while, do it as well, it might not touch your insurance premium but those who fear the road, are those most dangerous on it!

#13 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

As people have said before, it's not going to do much for you experience-wise unless you're a new driver or a driver with unconquered fears.

For anybody else, you'll probably just be told off for all the bad habits you've amassed (i.e. not staying in 10 to 2 mode on the steering wheel, not engaging your handbrake and just sitting on the footbrake at lights, not passing the wheel from hand to hand whilst turning, etc), and told that your general driving abilities are fine.

It MIGHT bring your insurance down, but chance are it'll bring it down by an amount that'll see you having to way 2 to 3 years before the cost of the course is paid off. But might be worth it - only way to check is to phone up your insurance and ask them how much your premium would drop by if you had IAM certificate/Pass Plus, etc. Also get some quotes on comparison websites and see how the premiums change when you tick the box for other motoring qualifications.

If it's worth it, go for it, if it's not, just leave it.

#14 Paddy H

Paddy H

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Name: Patrick
  • Ford Model: Focus MK 2.5 Zetec S 1.6
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Iv just gone through all sorts of drama with insurance ....but thats another story however i did say to every company i rang 'I have done my pass plus' and 4/5 of them said, oh ok that won't make any difference on your quote anyway.

Im 22, 2nd car, 1 Years NCD. . . Waste of time now in my eyes.

I won't do it for the experience as iv drove to Hungary and back - emotional. So i too have experienced all the pro's and con's but i reckon now its not worth it.

For first time insurance quote maybe but i basically got over looked when mentioned.

#15 Rh1no

Rh1no

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Was looking more at the IAM stuff, as I did the Pass Plus when I passed my test.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users