32 replies to this topic

#1 w2575

w2575

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2
Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Anyone else having problems with water in spark plug ports on focus mk2 2005> ?
Think its def someting to watch out for as i pulled all 4 HT leads other day to find rust stained water in all ports.
poss coming from washer pipes ?????

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 old cruiser

old cruiser

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Ford Model: wife's 2006 Fiesta 1.25 [Climate]

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Anyone else having problems with water in spark plug ports on focus mk2 2005> ?
Think its def someting to watch out for as i pulled all 4 HT leads other day to find rust stained water in all ports.
poss coming from washer pipes ?????

Ah this old problem!! This is a known issue with the MK2, I had exactly the same with my old 2005 model I had and what the problem is , is the washer jets themselves, water leaks past them on the bonnet and straight down onto the plug area(particularly the driver side jet); if you take a look at your jets you will notice they are fitted directly onto the bonnet with no rubber seal between bonnet and jet, ford sell revised jets which have the rubber seal, I was horrified when I first saw this issue on mine, whenever it rained or I washed the car, there it was, water going into plug well !! anyway Mine was under warranty at the time, so got it in and they fitted the revised (with rubber seal) jets and hey presto, no more leaks!!
Hope that helps mate
Cheers Pete

#3 Dolan

Dolan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: mk2 xr2
Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ah this old problem!! This is a known issue with the MK2, I had exactly the same with my old 2005 model I had and what the problem is , is the washer jets themselves, water leaks past them on the bonnet and straight down onto the plug area(particularly the driver side jet); if you take a look at your jets you will notice they are fitted directly onto the bonnet with no rubber seal between bonnet and jet, ford sell revised jets which have the rubber seal, I was horrified when I first saw this issue on mine, whenever it rained or I washed the car, there it was, water going into plug well !! anyway Mine was under warranty at the time, so got it in and they fitted the revised (with rubber seal) jets and hey presto, no more leaks!!
Hope that helps mate
Cheers Pete

hi ,it may also be the core plug leaking or temp sensor leaking have only seen it once and it made a right mess.

Paul

#4 dula8965

dula8965

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 ford focus 1.6 zetec climate
Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hope that helps mate
Cheers Pete

I had to get the breakdown service out yesterday. He said it was the above problem. Have ford issued a recall for this fault. The area where the plugs are is a right mess. Would this benifit from a clean and new plugs??

cheers

#5 old cruiser

old cruiser

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Ford Model: wife's 2006 Fiesta 1.25 [Climate]

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

I had to get the breakdown service out yesterday. He said it was the above problem. Have ford issued a recall for this fault. The area where the plugs are is a right mess. Would this benifit from a clean and new plugs??

cheers

Would certainly be a good idea to clean up and fit new plugs, as 'prevention is better than cure' as they say!! make sure you get all the water out of that area first before taking the plugs , so as to stop any water etc getting down into the head. As for recall, I believe it was only a TSB (Technical service Bulletin) which basically in the trade means 'in case of customer complaint' ..... However I really believe this should have been a recall, as it has been known for one of the plugs blow out of cylinder head due to excessive corrosion due to this problem and you can imagine, if you were say, on the outside lane of a busy motorway and that happened and then trying to get over to hard shoulder etc, need I say more!! Absolute disgrace on Fords part!!
Cheers Pete

#6 w2575

w2575

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2
Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thanks all , it is the washer jets, mopped up all the water by sticking absorbent pads down ports with screwdriver and pulling out with pliers , worked a treat , also replaced plugs as precaution ! Jobs a good one !

#7 kevin lancelott

kevin lancelott

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Name: kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium X 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2013

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

I was in the ford garage on tuesday getting my fiesta serviced when a guy came in with your problem on his focus.Ford guy said it was the washer jets and it is a problem on some of the focuses.The fix is new plugs for deffo and maybe new washer pipes jets.I was in right place at right time so ime just passing on what i heard to you focus guys.

#8 hodges9566

hodges9566

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 focus ghia 1.6 100bhp

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

I was in the ford garage on tuesday getting my fiesta serviced when a guy came in with your problem on his focus.Ford guy said it was the washer jets and it is a problem on some of the focuses.The fix is new plugs for deffo and maybe new washer pipes jets.I was in right place at right time so ime just passing on what i heard to you focus guys.

Had same problem with water in plugs area, changed to new jets and still had them leaking. You dont really need to fit new jets to cure this problem all you need to do is put a small amount of clear silicone between bonnet and jets and also between jet and seat if fitted. Does the job and jets can still be removed if needed with not to much trouble.

#9 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

interesting...would have gone straight for temp sensor...they been awful in pass for leaking into wells...nice find on the jets!! :)

#10 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,262 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

well ive got this problem to sort on a 55 plate focus at some point. im just gonna try a small amount of silicon on the bottom of the jets and see how it goes. i was suprised that i actually managed to undo the plugs though, very rusty. no wonder the car is misfiring.

#11 Scorpio1977

Scorpio1977

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

All,

I've got the same problem as well....... Had to get the AA out to it yesterday morning who (so called) fixed the problem...... The AA guy said that it was water from the engine, getting in through little holes in each spark plug port. :huh: Later yesterday afternoon the problem came back with a vengeance and I had to take it into my local Ford Dealer. Today I have been told that it is indeed the washer jets that leak down onto the core plugs and in turn, the spark plugs. I am now looking at new Core Plugs, Spark Plugs and new washer jets at the tidy sum of 300 plus!!!! Now I am car less for the forseeable future with no courtesy car and little hope of being able to hire one.

THAT IS OF COURSE......... Hoping that the Spark Plugs haven't seized into the cylinder Head in which case will involve more work (naturally) and a couple of grand to pay up for the privilage.

I cant believe FORD are aware of the problem and did nothing to sort the "dodgy" ones out - Its left to me (Mr Average - whos only had the car for 6 months) to shell out for the repair?????

My Parents have a new shape focus - Cylinder Head guarded from water very nicely there, hey guys?!?!?!?!?

Fortunately I am on holiday this week but WN7 to M17 for 5am on Monday morning is not something I am looking forward to at all!!

THANKS FORD!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!

Scorpio

#12 bt_cav

bt_cav

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 331 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2004

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hey all, thats a nightmare.

Dose anyone know if this affects the MK1 Focus?

I have a Mk1 (facelift 04) I fitted new plugs and noticed evidance of water ie wates marks random rusty stains on top of the cam cover under the plug leads, I put it down to the fact I had carefully powerwashed the engine a couple of months befoer.

:unsure:

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hey all, thats a nightmare.

Dose anyone know if this affects the MK1 Focus?

I have a Mk1 (facelift 04) I fitted new plugs and noticed evidance of water ie wates marks random rusty stains on top of the cam cover under the plug leads, I put it down to the fact I had carefully powerwashed the engine a couple of months befoer.

:unsure:

only mk1s it doesnt effect is the 1.8 and 2.0 simply because the engine sits the opposite way around so the jets when they do drip go right down the back side of the engine it effects 1.6 and 1.4 mk1s.

never powerwash an engine no matter how careful you try to be not a good idea

#14 braindead

braindead

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 mk2 focus

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

hi all

you know what this is funny ive just had this problem !!.

car was misfiring so thought i do plug change..and what do i find spark plugs under water wow thanks ford.

now took an while to get all that water out but i did when to get plugs out 2 where jammed other two came out fine anyways got all four out in end without damage but boy was there some rubbish on them all above the plug seating was stained brown and caked in crap. it took me twice of refitting and removing plugs just to get them in unfouled. got them in newly recharged battery fired the 10th try.but i think i now need new leads as !Removed! thing still misfiring and rough/shundering idling.car only 5 weeks old so the thing going back to dealer tomarrow mostly likly as an return. 3 fords =3 lemons i do know how to pick the bad ones lol

gavin

#15 gus

gus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: ford focus 1.6 zetec

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

I wish I had seen all this before I had spent so much time trying to suss out where there damnable rain water was getting in. After much grief from my local ford garage who thought I had leaking core plugs and then told me I would need a new cylinder head, 2000 if you do not mind, I was dumfounded with them and got a second opinion who rubbished them and proved them wrong. However rain water is still getting into the spark plug wells, for the life of me I thought the rain was blowing in under the bonnet, how clever was it to put the spark plugs so open to this!
Anyway having done a quick search on the web here i am and now off to my local friendly garage to ask for a fix to this.........

thank you very much in advance!!

quote name='braindead' timestamp='1285789958' post='99197']
hi all

you know what this is funny ive just had this problem !!.

car was misfiring so thought i do plug change..and what do i find spark plugs under water wow thanks ford.

now took an while to get all that water out but i did when to get plugs out 2 where jammed other two came out fine anyways got all four out in end without damage but boy was there some rubbish on them all above the plug seating was stained brown and caked in crap. it took me twice of refitting and removing plugs just to get them in unfouled. got them in newly recharged battery fired the 10th try.but i think i now need new leads as !Removed! thing still misfiring and rough/shundering idling.car only 5 weeks old so the thing going back to dealer tomarrow mostly likly as an return. 3 fords =3 lemons i do know how to pick the bad ones lol

gavin
[/quote]

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users