#17 az1986

az1986

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: aaron
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2006

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

had same prob on saturday 2nd of june 2012 i was driving back from leicester to kent i had same problem it was hammering down with rain and engine light was flashing so pulled over and had a look pulls spark plug boot up and there was about an inch of water in well to my horror i rang RAC and as didnt have cover was quoted £280 to tow me home so i decided againt that and drove the last 76 miles home in limp mode not doing more the 60 mph so today i took it to ford and thay said it was misfireing because the water so was quoted £286 to change plugs leads and coil pack so i refused to pay that as warrany run out only 4 weeks ago. in the end i coughed up £7.46 for new washer jets as thay were the cause of promlem over time. and payed £18 to have water pumped out so went to local motor factors and got coil pack leads and spark plugs for £77.50 alot less then ford wanted i fitted them started car and misfire was gone and engine light went out. fingers crossed this is the end of problem as car only has 40.000 miles on clock and before this never went wrong in the last 14 moths of owning it and 16.000 miles next job self service as ford want £210 what a joke...

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,814 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

What do you expect from Ford? they always charge more for jobs than anywhere else.

#19 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

not true ford have been cheaper than many others for me. i wouldnt have paid ford know the issue and have done for years. it should be stated to dealers to check them and change

#20 deadhead

deadhead

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: andrew
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I had just the same problem and found the easiest way to get the water out was to use one of my wifes hand cream pump bottles I just took out the pump gave it a good clean popped the tube into the spark plug whole and pumped the water out

hope this helps anyone who has the same problem and im guessing there may be many :)

#21 jacksargent93

jacksargent93

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Name: Jack
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Im fearing this problem, viewed a focus the other today and picking it up this Saturday, there was water sat on the engine. How much are we looking at for ford to fit new washer jets? If that is the problem? 

#22 minnis

minnis

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: SEAT Ibiza ST 1.2 TSi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

You can do them yourself, its a fairly easy fix. It's just Ford recently upped the price when they realised that this was the fix. Old price was about a fiver for both jets, now its nearer £20.

You'll need two of these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c1fb9e678

Or if you don't have heated washer jets you can save a bit of money and get the non-heated versions.

#23 Johnmbro

Johnmbro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: John

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi guys iv just had the same problem but wasnt the jets their are two core plugs in between the spark plugs i removed the rocker cover and soaked all the water up with the old lady products the find it was orange as it is coolant had a little scratch at the core plugs put it back together ran the car for two mins checked through the holes to the spark plugs the find the core plugs seeping coolant picked two new ones up from ford for £3 tuck the rocker cover back off drained the coolant knocked the old core plugs out then using a socket inserted into the new core plugsand a bit of sealant started tapping the new ones in ensuring the stayed level and just sat a mil or two below flush and after replacing coolant ran the car up to temp and since then not a drop of water in the plugs

#24 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

rotten core plugs are usually caused by leaky washer jets letting the water in in the first place otherwise the core plugs shouldnt need touched might be worth checking after the rain just to be sure

#25 Johnmbro

Johnmbro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: John

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

O so the leaky jets are rotting the plugs from the out side enough said will keep an eye on it cheers

#26 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

yeah 9 out of 10 times thats how it happens hence why ford really should have been doing these fixes for free in my opinion but heho

#27 Ken JB

Ken JB

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Kenneth
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Have recently had this problem , water in plugs the first time it seemed to be the rubber seal on the top of the bulkhead allowing rainwater to cascade over the engine stuck the seal back in place and seemed to be ok. Now it has re occurred so may be water from the washer jets? also noticed that it looks as if there should be a cover over the top of the engine to protect the plug leads! any comments or solutions welcome, ta.

#28 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Have recently had this problem , water in plugs the first time it seemed to be the rubber seal on the top of the bulkhead allowing rainwater to cascade over the engine stuck the seal back in place and seemed to be ok. Now it has re occurred so may be water from the washer jets? also noticed that it looks as if there should be a cover over the top of the engine to protect the plug leads! any comments or solutions welcome, ta.

I see you have the right build of Mk2 Focus a 2005, I see you have the right problem that goes with that early build, that my thread was dedicated to. You have been given the answer to your problem in both the written word and photographs

As to your question about there being an engine cover on the Mk 2 petrol Focus, no never.

Edited by Stoney871 to remove argumentative statements.

#29 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,814 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

The diesel MK2 engine has a cover but not the petrol one.

You could fit a bonnet insulation panel, It's material but will spread the water out more allowing it to evaporate before it hits the engine.

The usual fix is to seal around the base of the washer nozzles with silicone.

#30 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Isn't there a Volvo engine cover which fits? Don't have time to look for the thread but I'm sure I read it here somewhere  :wacko:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users