Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Key Coding

DBlack

Can anyone help? My son had his car keys stolen yesterday. His car is a 2002 Focus Ghia TDCI 1800. Unfortunately these were the only keys he had for the car. A mobile locksmith has made new keys which open the doors, turn on the ignition etc, but the car will not start as his computer would not connect to the car to reprogramme? the immobilsor. He put in all the car details, the computer tries to communicate via the port under the steering wheel, but after a few seconds the computer screen shows connection failure. The immobilisor light either flashes very fast or flashes once then five times. It then repeats this. Locksmith has gone away to see if he can find a solution to the problem, as my son needs the car I’m trying to see if I can help. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution? I’d prefer to not have to get it taken to a main dealer as he'll have to pay for a tow and then no doubt be charged a lot for them to find and solve the problem. Locksmith bill will be £200 alone! Many thanksCan anyone help? My son had his car keys stolen yesterday. His car is a 2002 Focus Ghia TDCI 1800. Unfortunately these were the only keys he had for the car. A mobile locksmith has made new keys which open the doors, turn on the ignition etc, but the car will not start as his computer would not connect to the car to reprogramme? the immobilsor. He put in all the car details, the computer tries to communicate via the port under the steering wheel, but after a few seconds the computer screen shows connection failure. The immobilisor light either flashes very fast or flashes once then five times. It then repeats this. Locksmith has gone away to see if he can find a solution to the problem, as my son needs the car I’m trying to see if I can help. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution? I’d prefer to not have to get it taken to a main dealer as he'll have to pay for a tow and then no doubt be charged a lot for them to find and solve the problem. Locksmith bill will be £200 alone! Many thanks

Hi David,

First of all welcome to the Forum

As you say, it is a communication fault between the Locksmiths computer and the car.

The flashing of the immobiliser is a PATS fault code-

Engine does not start or crank: LED flashes rapidly.

(Engine is immobilised but key will not cancel immobilisation)

Leave ignition switched on for at least one minute or until LED starts to flash two-digit code.

The code being flashed is Code 1 : 5 (Key not programmed to PATS.)

It will flash the code 10 times and then stop.

The PATSII immobiliser is refusing to recognise the keys which is normal when the transponder code from a key is not saved to the car.

Unfortunately the only way will to be a call to another Auto Locksmith.

TBH £200 for half a job seems a bit steep to me, that should have been enough to ensure a cut key and programming- I think he was too cheap to have up to date software.

Where exactly are you in Devon?

I have a good contact number for an Auto Locksmith who is reasonable and has done work for me before and also does call out work for Ford.

If you're within reasonable distance of Plymouth i'll give you the number so you can give him a shout if for nothing other than advice.

Thanks Stoney871, that has confirmed what i thought was the problem. I'm in Exeter. Contact details of the other locksmith would be appreciated.

His name is Gary and his number is 07946375970.

Give him a ring and see what he can suggest.

Here's his website.

http://www.keyswest.co.uk/

Stony, you are a mine of information and a STAR. :rolleyes:

Stony, you are a mine of information and a STAR. :rolleyes:

You know what it's like Stormin.

A coppers day is filled with new experiences and situations.

Having a list of local contacts for assistance in various specialities is definitely useful.

I get asked some very strange things. ;)

You know what it's like Stormin.

A coppers day is filled with new experiences and situations.

Having a list of local contacts for assistance in various specialities is definitely useful.

I get asked some very strange things. ;)

Rest day for me, the car needs a good wash, mud plugging the Focus yesterday, spent all day in the rain on the South Downs searching for a Misper, it transpires he may be down your way now as he has connections in the Torquay area, so over to your lot. :D

It's ok, we'll pick up your slack. ;)

We had a bad RTC in Torquay over the weekend where 2 cars collided after one driver decided to use the wrong side of the road.

He died but took a child and an unborn with him.

Parents are from Cork and in a serious condition at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.

I had seen the report, tragedy, some drivers should not be on the road. On a lighter note, thanks for taking up the slack, they then may give me an extra rest day, I wish. <_<

I had seen the report, tragedy, some drivers should not be on the road. On a lighter note, thanks for taking up the slack, they then may give me an extra rest day, I wish. <_<

The thinking is that he either did it on purpose or forgot what side he should have been on as he was Polish.

Anyway do your own dirty jobs, I'm busy enough as it is. ;)

I'll probably get called to search for your misper.

I usually get all the plum jobs.:P

I'll probably get called to search for your misper.

I usually get all the plum jobs. :P

Hows the dog on Mispers or does it only go for the Perps? ^_^

She's an excellent tracker.

If the misper had a pocket full of cheese the collie would probably find them first :P

She's an excellent tracker.

If the misper had a pocket full of cheese the collie would probably find them first :P

I should take the wife with me, her nose is just too sensitive she should be able to sniff out a body 3 feet under, I can't get away with anything and no cat or dog to blame. :P

Sorry David (DBLACK) for drifting way off the subject of your post, it just happens, anyway I hope you get you sons car sorted. :blink:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had to get Ford Main Dealer to do the coding. I used Vospers in Exeter. service they provided was excellent, coding of the keys sorted within an hour of them getting the car. Cost was £72.

Could not find out why the locksmiths kit did not communicate with the car. There has been a suggestion it may be because it was originally a lease car and often they are programmed so only Main Dealers can code keys to stop hirers getting duplicates made??

That does sound plausible.

I'm glad you got the keys sorted out, quite surprised that Vospers was so reasonable as usually they're robbing beggars.

Anyway, all's well that ends well etc :D