Do Not Sell My Personal Information

! Guide ! Fitting A 12V Socket In The Boot Mk7

tunne1rat

One thing I find lacking with the Fiesta is not having a 12v socket in the boot for running accessories or a cool box when going out for the day - so I decided to fit one.

Here’s how I did it.

Firstly the parcel shelf support trim needs to be removed. This is best done with the rear seat reclined:

12vsocket.jpg

Now for the wiring.

For my requirements I need around 7A. That is too much to load onto any existing circuit around the rear of the car, so I decided to run a new feed from the fuse box.

I ordered 5m of thinwall 11A cable. When it arrived I was surprised at how thin it was!

After some reassurance from the supplier that it will be fine (fingers crossed), I also ordered a fuse adaptor, a 10A fuse and various crimp terminals.

I then set about installing it all.

To access the fuse box behind the glovebox, first empty the glovebox and squeeze the sides together so that the glovebox can open fully exposing the fuse panel behind.

12vPage_1-1.jpg

12vPage_2-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice guide, love the comic book style!

Excellent job.

How did you do the comic book layout? I like.

Nice guide mate,

but sorry to say had you removed the panel on the right side of the boot instead of the left their should be an orange or in some cases a black plug for the rear of a 12v socket already their and fused, just need an earth feed.

but end results are the same quality job though

i initally assumed that ford had fitted a 12v supply to the right hand side of the boot in the mk7 fiesta,

because they have done it in the mk6 fiesta and all mk2, mk2.5 also the new mk3 focus

nut i have later found my assumption to be untrue thus i have edited this post because it was misleading

Edited by Lenny

Thanks guys.

Lenny, before I started I checked the wiring diagrams and could find no evidence of provision for a boot 12v socket.

I also physically checked both sides and found no spare connectors.

Do you have any other info?

Thanks guys.

Lenny, before I started I checked the wiring diagrams and could find no evidence of provision for a boot 12v socket.

I also physically checked both sides and found no spare connectors.

Do you have any other info?

ok mate,

its unusual that ford havent put one on the right hand side of the mk7

they have gotten one fitted to the mk6 and also the focus including the new mk3,

but i have since checked ford microcat for the mk7 fiesta and to my surprise their is

No loom pre fitted to the car for the 12v socket.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks for the confirmation.

hatoff.gif

i have since edited my inital post on this topic to prevent any misleading information to others following your great guide.

Good to see such a useful accessory item in a well laid out fitting guide.

I also think the comic book style presentation is spot on.

Thanks Steve.

• 2 months later...

Thinking of doing this type of mod. Is my only real option to get some juice from the fuse box same way as tunnelrat has done it? I have no probs with this (well other than not feeling overly confident sticking wires to fuse box). but I would do It to get the mod done. Though I would also put 10 amp fuse somewhere to ensure the safety aspect.

By the way, is it some sort of special connector that has been used to tap into the power of fuse box? Its hard to make out from the photo.

Thank you for the link. This makes it much easier. I have ordered one now. You gotta love autostar, one of my favorite sellers.

Cheers

Thank you for the link. This makes it much easier. I have ordered one now. You gotta I love autostar, one of my favorite sellers.

Cheers

+1 autostar are always promt with dispatch and quality gurantee'd

My one stop for all automotive electrical needs.

• 4 weeks later...

What a great guide, going to be doing this modification next week when the parts arrive.

Sorry if I missed it, but can you tell me if this new socket is live all the time or does it only switch on with the ignition, unlike the socket below dashboard? I really need it to switch off when car is not running.

Thanks in advance for you help.

If you want it ignition switched, simply locate an ignition switched circuit on the fuse panel using a test meter.

Mine is permanently live, but is also now fitted with an electronic power saver, so that I can run my cool box in the summer knowing that as soon as my car battery dips below 11.5v, my cool box will automatically be disconnected thus saving my battery.

• Like 1

Ok - done the modification and found that the fuse position on the bottom right corner (parking sensor) does the job in that it comes on only when ingition is on position 2.

Many thanks for your help.

• 5 months later...

If you want it ignition switched, simply locate an ignition switched circuit on the fuse panel using a test meter.

Mine is permanently live, but is also now fitted with an electronic power saver, so that I can run my cool box in the summer knowing that as soon as my car battery dips below 11.5v, my cool box will automatically be disconnected thus saving my battery.

Just installed a 12v socket in my boot after reading this guide. Thanks by the way.

This power saver seems a interesting device, could you give me some more information about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just installed a 12v socket in my boot after reading this guide. Thanks by the way.

This power saver seems a interesting device, could you give me some more information about it.

I have a device similar to this hard-wired: http://www.force4.co.uk/732/Waeco-Battery-Saver.html

• 4 months later...

Nice write up!

I started this on my car (after promising myself i would not mod it :P) and installed the socket in roughly the same place. I had mounted it on the bottm facing part of that panel so it was hidden out of view.

Those fuse taps are very neat! Just what I was looking for to make the electrical connection instead of ripping up the entire console to tap off the existing socket.

I will put some pics up when the fuse tap comes and I can finish it off :)

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi what fuse position did you use mate....

I want one that's always on manual says I have a few free can I use them

like 20,22,30,31 are not used ..which one have you used any help for a novice would be much appreciated thank you

Hi what fuse position did you use mate....

I want one that's always on manual says I have a few free can I use them

like 20,22,30,31 are not used ..which one have you used any help for a novice would be much appreciated thank you

I went with what looks to be number 22 in the manual. I simply probed around the empty sockets with a multimeter (ground connected to chassis) to find a +12v with the ignition off. Oddly in the manual #22 is listed as "cigar lighter, front power point".. Which you would think would already have a fuse in it seeing as my front cigar lighter works...

Here are a few pics of the fusebox with the fuse tap installed, and where I mounted the socket: http://imgur.com/a/DMKdu

SO492rSh.jpg

• Like 1

Hi thank you mine just says unused on my manual hopefully ....

its the same as your always on tad nervous using a meter .....probing in the fuse box to be honest...

quick plug in and check sends me a 12v feed ....with car off...

fingers crossed....

hah probing around at 12v wont cause you much harm, just make sure your meter isnt on amp mode or you will notice your test leads getting very hot very quickly and smoke pouring from your meter ;)

Its worth noting there were two sockets for a fuse on my "fuse tap" One is a fuse for the circuit you are adding, and the other replaces the fuse in the fusebox. This allows you to take a tap from a circuit even if it is in use. You just have to make sure you install an appropriatley rated fuse for each circuit.

HI thanks so I just set the meter to 12v dc and just see if it reads 12v while off ....

I can just plug in the tap adaptor and see if that reads 12v no need to go near the fuse box lol

which fuse is for what feed top new feed bottom for fuse box I take it ...

I was wondering why there was two on there

HI had a play today ....

I could not get any voltage read out on meter on the empty fuse holders

so I had to tap into one it was a 15amp fuse for data link connector....is that ok to use..

what does it do ...........

that one is on all the time .....was getting about 15 volts thou unless my meter is wrong ....

thought battery was 12volts ....