Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Focus Mk2 Questions...

Whoey

So I'm a new car/focus owner... I bought a used 2007 Focus (mk2) 1.6 TDCI from a reputable local dealer. In general I'm happy with the car, although I've had it about a month now the first thing I did was buy the Haynes Ford Focus Diesel 2005-2009 Owners Workshop Manual. Except it doesn't seem to have much in the way of guides how to remove/replace things such as the dash/console etc, it seems to be more about engine mechanic related issues. Is there another guide I should be looking for? I only seem to see a slightly different version for the old MK1 Focus...

Next I replaced the stock Visteon CD6000 with an aftermarket JVC radio... in this day and age gotta have USB support! I got a kit with the surround bracket, single din storage pocket, removal keys, wiring harness and antena adapter... quite easy to swap out... and much happier with the new stereo in place. Once I have a guide to help with dashboard removal etc I'll add in the hands free mic included with my stereo (the model I got works great with my android phone) now I just need to find a suitable bracket/charger for my Motorola Defy, and a good place to mount it!

According to the vehicle lookup here http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do our car should be a 1.8L 115ps, but it's a 1.6L 90ps... Guessing they replaced the engine at some point... makes me wonder what else they weren't truthful about (I'm betting mileage!). I only just found that page when looking up some other info... since the other ford vin decoders I tried didn't give me any info... I had intended to ask about the color code as I could not find info about it anywhere... but according to that page we have an Ocean Blue (Metallic) Focus :D

One annoying thing I have noticed is wind noise from the right side of the car when going over 70km/h... it's like a window was down a crack or something but we have checked the windows and the door seals etc, all looks ok... or at least similar to the left side... there's no noticeable draft only noise... anyone had this happen? I suppose it would be rarer in the UK as that's the driver's side for you guys and would be incredibly noticeable/annoying immediately...

Next issue I have is that the part of the gear shift gaiter broke yesterday... well not the fabric part, the plastic ring around the bottom that the leather/vinyl/whatever is stapled to... is that piece normally part of the aftermarket options on eBay? I understand the surround is not, but without that internal "ring" the skirt doesn't stay in place... plan for now is to try and superglue it back together...

I saved the photos from the dealer listing to dropbox... so if anyone wants to have a gander at my mk2 focus: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyp6p8m4eyrjip4/qItaeYUrrl

Looking forward to some feedback!

I also have a Mk2, and like you I found the Ford Etis details to be wrong.

Etis thinks my car is a Focus C-Max but it's most definitely not! Mine is a normal 5-door hatch.

So if they got mine wrong, they may also have got your wrong - and your engine is probably the original.

Instead, try the DVLA : https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1

Regarding the wind noise from the driver's door, mine does the same. I've checked the door seals and everything seems fine. The door alignment when closed is spot on too, so it's not as if the lock needs adjusting. To be honest the road noise from the tyres is louder, so I just turn the radio up.

I read on another post recently that wind noise around the door area is due to the plastic trim in front of the wing mirror, it needs a hard push in, hopefully another member who has had this problem can confirm the cure.

plastic trims a pain youll find its warpf a bit easy solution is to pop it off easy to do its just a push on trim and use clear sealant around the 3 holes it pops into give both the holes and the clips a good blob then pop the cover on to ensure it stayed flat i got a piece of wood long enough to wedge it between the trim and my fence and wrapped a thick cloth round the trim side of the wood and left it overnight.

ensure the seals on the door are located correctly the seal has 2 lips on it that fit into the channel on the door gently move the top of the seal and you can check either side if its located correctly

thanks for your feedback chaps, I'll have a putter around with it later... atm the wife has me on Ikea assembly duty...

oh christ hours of instructions as clear as mud and cursing to find sumats missing lol have fun

Ikea assembly was easy... and nothing missing... adjusting the shelves in the unit to get the maximum out of them was interesting and time consuming... the past day or so has been spent reorganizing all the stuff we pulled from the shelving unit we replaced, and rehoming stuff from other shelves to the new unit (bookcase) haven't even seen the car in a few days :unsure:

DVLA will unlikely have info about my car, as it is Spanish. I tried some other official ford fleet decoder but it told me my vin wasn't correct format or something like that... at least with Etis they gave the most info which seems correct for the most part. Parts seem to be generalized or wrong as you state, like "Vehicle Line: Focus 04-08/Focus C-MAX 03-07" or "Body Style: 5 Door Saloon" (where mine is a 5 Door Hatchback if you decypher the VIN code using the charts here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_%28VIN_codes%29/Ford/VIN_Codes#European_Ford )

Hopefully today I finally get a chance to putter around with the car (and it needs a wash too!)

Where in Spain are you?

ETIS was pretty spot on for my car

I also have issues with the plastic trim by the wing mirror, they feel like they would fall off if you went above 150kph. The sealant trick sounds like it might do the trick though :)

I'm guessing the Spanish must like breaking the plastic trim on the gear gaiter as mine is also broken, either that or it must be something to do with the heat!? Someone on here was talking about the part costing 60 quid so I figured a few minutes with superglue was the way forward!

I'm in Pamplona in the north.

I've pulled the gaiter now and superglue does not seem to want to bond the plastic very well... mine is split in various places (mostly where the stock staples are), and rumours on Spanish forums are that it's about 30euros for a replacement through Ford dealers, most people are suggesting scrap yards for a replacement. The two main splits in mine (clear through) are the front left corner and the front middle, so I've stapled as well as glued the centre split... it seems to hold fine with regular stationary staples... the actual clips on that corner are broken off where the stock staples split the plastic... :angry:

For the price I'd consider outright replacing the whole gaiter and surround if I could find a set that will look alright in my mk2

<<plastic trims a pain youll find its warpf a bit easy solution is to pop it off easy to do its just a push on trim and use clear sealant around the 3 holes it pops into give both the holes and the clips a good blob then pop the cover on to ensure it stayed flat i got a piece of wood long enough to wedge it between the trim and my fence and wrapped a thick cloth round the trim side of the wood and left it overnight.>>

I might try that!

Where is your fence?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club