Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for your input mjt ,

and I know if you had a Mk2 /2.5 you would be out to your car in a flash :D like I would ....................but thats the older generation for you. Obviously we have time on our hands but there must be at least one person out there that could take the time out to check their Gem Unit out noise wise :rolleyes:

Well it's time to make my lunch, and the wife has me on a mission. That is finding a decent self catering apartment in Los Cristianos this November. Said I'd do it today so she can book her time off work.......................she will say ..........you have been on that forum all day haven't you.....................who me.......... whatever give you that idea?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

:D :D :D

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,828 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just checked the rear wiper on a mk2 and mk2.5, both make two clicks behind the dash.
One click just before the wiper moves and a second one as the wiper is moving (about a half a second between forst and second click).
I'd assume the relay closing and opening again.
Just to point you in the right direction, on my old mk1 I had the symptoms that the rear wiper would work fine when the wash button was pressed but on intermittent wipe it would stop at random places on return.
This sounds exactly like your problem and the cause that time was definitely a broken wire.

#19 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just checked the rear wiper on a mk2 and mk2.5, both make two clicks behind the dash.
One click just before the wiper moves and a second one as the wiper is moving (about a half a second between forst and second click).
I'd assume the relay closing and opening again.

Cheers Clive your a STAR,

that's the clicking noises I get, the relay being energised, and then nigh on instantly being de energised. Meaning the Gem is working as it is intended to do. So we can discount that, it's either a wiring loom open circuit, or a contact failing within the wiper motor housing.

#20 teo_st

teo_st

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Teodor
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2
  • Year: 2005

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi,
I am new in this forum and I have the exact same problem. I have ford focus mk2 year 2005. This is my second car. I used to have the same focus but 2007. But I crashed it and now I am selling it ofr parts. About the problem. I have replaced the motor with the motor from my old car that is 100% working and the result is negative. The wiper stops wherever it wants to. I checked the cables in the rubber housing between the trunk and the car but everything seems to look good. The only thing that left is the build in "indestructible" relay. I someone has any suggestions please tell me I will try to fix it. I am sorry for my bad English.

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,828 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Definitely the relay then if the wiring is intact.
Drop the internal fuse board down and listen to the relays when wipe is engaged.
This should point you to the correct one to check and replace.

#22 teo_st

teo_st

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yes, but the relay is integrated... I removed all the relays from the fuse box and the wiper is still working and the relay is clicking from the inside...

#23 jameso

jameso

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi. I am asking for any advice or if anyone has had a similar problem. I have a 2005 ford focus zetec,recently my rear wiper has been playing up. When turned on it stops and starts in different places. The wiper does not do a fill rotation as it should. Could it be the motor? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

#24 jameso

jameso

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

hi
is worth checking the wiring between roof and tailgate because where you keep opening and shutting tailgate wiring in the rubber sleave gets crushed or broken which can cause a intermittent fault

#25 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've still got the problerm [I checked the wiring in the extended rubberised sheaf, twixt bulkhead and boot lid many moons ago, and it was fine]

So it's either checking the wiring from Gem back to the motor, or the contacts in the motor it's self. Now seeing as it's no big deal to "manual park it" I cannot therefore be @rsed to undertake the aformentioned............

#26 teo_st

teo_st

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi,
I have solved the problem! The relay was damaged. It is located in the trunk on the left side. I am so happy about solving it ! Good luck 

#27 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi,
I have solved the problem! The relay was damaged. It is located in the trunk on the left side. I am so happy about solving it ! Good luck 

Good on you mate, so there is a relay in the boot well fancy that!

Now four years ago  I had the boot liner off on the left hand side  because I put the electro magnetic reversing sensor unit behind it, plus I needed to run the beep beep cable through to the rear seat compartment where I mounted the beep beep sounder its self. And I must say I did not notice a relay .............mind you I was not looking for one, but that said it must be hard to miss.

Any chance of a picture showing same, or a more detailed explination as to it's exact whereabouts.

cheers

PS: flew through it's MOT today, as per usual. And I notice this year the MOT certificate includes the last 4 MOT mileages, Underclockers wont like that will they. Mind you my motor is eight years old in two weeks and it's only done 49,390miles [certified]

#28 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

seeing as our Bulgarian based freind is not responding, anybody else found this elusive relay hiding out in the boot ?

For a couple of days last week it was not a problem, as the rear wiper deceided to go walk about in the middle lane of a section of the A1 last week. The retaining clip on the arm had partly broke off, but a visit to ebay put that right for little money.

#29 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Im assuming its on the left hand side of tge boot behind the carpet near the light wiring or same location but above the rear strut mount

#30 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Im assuming its on the left hand side of tge boot behind the carpet near the light wiring or same location but above the rear strut mount

As the tail gate wiper, and heated rear screen wireing harness comes in at roof level from the cabin, I would not have thought a wiper relay would be found left hand side of the boot. Like I said, I've had the side carpeting of when installing rear parking aid.

Arthur are you saying it could be in the pillar that the rear light cluster is set into? I cannot see it being there. Must say as it's quite a common complaint, I would have thought somebody would know where this elusive relay exists. If it does exist at all [which I very much doubt it does] Would have though one of the "I'm a trained Ford Techie"  bods who vist the forum would have a definitive answer to the "is there a relay or not" in the boot area.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users