Jack7

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Name: Jack
  • Ford Model: Fiesta TDCi Zetec S
  • Year: 2009

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ive got the bulb holders but no wiring etc :( Is it possible to retrofit this or is it too complicated? im a bit of a noob especially with electrics :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,627 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ive got the bulb holders but no wiring etc :( Is it possible to retrofit this or is it too complicated? im a bit of a noob especially with electrics :P

You would need to go down the aftermarket route and splice in to existing cables as the official Ford ones are part of the ENTIRE wiring loom behind the dash.

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,581 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Buy bulb holders and wire them to the courtesy light feed via the A pillar.
I've been trying to get around to this job for ages myself and have all the bits to do but time and circumstances have not been right.
Lenny can advise you better as he's the king of lighting.

#19 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,984 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Buy bulb holders and wire them to the courtesy light feed via the A pillar. I've been trying to get around to this job for ages myself and have all the bits to do but time and circumstances have not been right. Lenny can advise you better as he's the king of lighting.

Thanks stoney, ^_^

For those who have the bulb holders but no power,
they should purchase Qty: 2
of this Cable which would be 4 metres of cable. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bd5915eb
cut the existing loom around two inches from the bulb sockets and fit this loom running the two sockets off the one single run of cable then up the A pillar and splice in to the blue and black cables at the rear of the interior light.

Blue = Positive +
Black = Negative -

For those who havent got the footwell light sockets or loom

They need to purchase the sockets to fit the holes which are here http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43ae09c359
plus the cable in the link above too.

finally for both fitments they will require some T10 w5w light bulbs of their choice.

if you also require some rear footwell lighting i can advisee on this too.
i have got Qty 2 of these in red led pods fitted under the front seats of my focus,
one stuck to the top of the footwell blower under each seat facing on to the rear footwells and wired in to the loom of the front footwell lighting.
here are some links to the pods for the rear footwell's.

Be sure to order Qty:2 in order to recieve two of them

Red Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a64
Blue Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51811449c8
Green Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a45
White Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a85

Posted Image

#20 AJ_sXe

AJ_sXe

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Name: AJ
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks stoney, ^_^

For those who have the bulb holders but no power,
they should purchase Qty: 2
of this Cable which would be 4 metres of cable. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bd5915eb
cut the existing loom around two inches from the bulb sockets and fit this loom running the two sockets off the one single run of cable then up the A pillar and splice in to the blue and black cables at the rear of the interior light.

Blue = Positive +
Black = Negative -

For those who havent got the footwell light sockets or loom

They need to purchase the sockets to fit the holes which are here http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43ae09c359
plus the cable in the link above too.

finally for both fitments they will require some T10 w5w light bulbs of their choice.

if you also require some rear footwell lighting i can advisee on this too.
i have got Qty 2 of these in red led pods fitted under the front seats of my focus,
one stuck to the top of the footwell blower under each seat facing on to the rear footwells and wired in to the loom of the front footwell lighting.
here are some links to the pods for the rear footwell's.

Be sure to order Qty:2 in order to recieve two of them

Red Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a64
Blue Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51811449c8
Green Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a45
White Pod
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5181144a85

Posted Image

Any chance you could make a guide (if you haven't already) for the rear footwell lights?

It's a cool mod i'd love to do, and could do if I followed pre-written instructions but not from scratch

*utter electrical div* :blink: :unsure: :wacko:

#21 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,984 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Any chance you could make a guide (if you haven't already) for the rear footwell lights?

It's a cool mod i'd love to do, and could do if I followed pre-written instructions but not from scratch

*utter electrical div* :blink: :unsure: :wacko:

No problem mate,
ill be oline later around 8pm and i will respod to this topic with a written guide including pictures for the wiring of rear footwell lighting using the above equipment.

#22 AJ_sXe

AJ_sXe

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

No problem mate,
ill be oline later around 8pm and i will respod to this topic with a written guide including pictures for the wiring of rear footwell lighting using the above equipment.

Woo! Lenny is the Electrical Man!

#23 Kieatky

Kieatky

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: kieron
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi guys, just thought I'd say thanks for highlighting this topic, didn't have a clue the footwell lights were there, checked my car and found the holders/wiring then out of curiosity borrowed the bulb from the boot courtesy light just to check if they work and hey presto... we have light!!! Well chuffed. Just gotta decide what colour bulbs to order!!! Once again, many thanks.

#24 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,718 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hi guys, just thought I'd say thanks for highlighting this topic, didn't have a clue the footwell lights were there, checked my car and found the holders/wiring then out of curiosity borrowed the bulb from the boot courtesy light just to check if they work and hey presto... we have light!!! Well chuffed. Just gotta decide what colour bulbs to order!!! Once again, many thanks.

Go for blue Kieron.

Cool, modern, chilled out :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paul :)

#25 Kieatky

Kieatky

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: kieron
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cheers mate, I agree, the blue looks good and i think it'll be a better match for the illumination on the sony head unit.

#26 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Go for blue Kieron.

Cool, modern, chilled out :D

Or Red as it matches the dash/ instrument backlighting...

Nathan posted images of his red ones before and the fact the colours are a match makes it look more factory fitted.

#27 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,523 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Any way of making it so that the lights stay constantly on without tons of effort?

#28 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,984 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Any way of making it so that the lights stay constantly on without tons of effort?

yes just link them to a rocker switch,
and from the switch to an interior light feed,
so then when your driving lights are on i.e. Parking lights etc.
you can switch the footwell lights on and off via the rocker switch, ideal for approaching a check point etc. because the cops may class them as distracting.
but the added advantage of hooking them to an interior light feed is that they will also dim when you turn the wheel to dim your interior dash lighting.

but
if you want them to illuminate along with the doors opening, and then again when you switch on your driving lights.
this would require you to fit a 3way rocker switch then you could use the one set of units for both actions.

#29 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,984 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Here is a guide on fitting the led pods to the rear footwells in your ford.

you will require in this guide you will notice i have fitted some 3 led pods and the ones linked in the post above are 5 led their isint really much difference in the additional two leds under the footwell but i reckon the 5 led pods would give a slightly better effect.

as you can see in the image below,
the pods come from the supplier pre-wired with red and black terminals on the ends and 1.5metre of cable attached.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i found the casing of the pods to be quite shiny and i wrapped them in a layer of black electrical tape to help keep them hidden under the rear footwells and not really noticable unless they are illuminated.

Posted Image

first step:
strip the ends of both red and black terminals on the end of both units and splice them togeather with one ond of the purchased 2 metre red&black 10amp cable. join the 3 black feeds to each other and tape them togeather using the purchased e;ectrical tape followed by performing the same action with the 3 red terminals. then tape the two bulk insulated cables togeather to create a Y shaped loom, ensure the red and black feeds are insulated seperatly before taping them togeather as one loom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

if desired you can wrap the surround of the pods in black tape too, then fit one or two double sided sticky pads to one side of each pod.

once complete,
you can then bring the new wired loom with pods attached in to the car.

Posted Image

un-bolt the centre console so as it can be lifted up to fit you hand underneath it,
then begin to fish the cables under the seats on both sides ensuring that they are under the slide rails of the seats,
leave around 2 inches of excess cable encase the units ever get caught on anything the cable is not likely to snap if their is a slight bit of excess their to allow for stretching, for example of a small umbrella was to be pulled from under the seat and it caught on the loom of the footwell light pod.

do not stick the pods to the top of the rear footwell heater blowers yet because they may tear off with the fishing of the cables,
wait to mount them correctly at the end of the process.

next step is to locate the front footwell loom cables on the passenger side footwell,
fish your rear footwell loom in to the front of the passenger footwell through the centre console.

cut the excess cable from the rear footwell loom then like pealing a Banna.
using your stanley blade gently peal back the positive feed on the existing front footwell loom feed.
peel back the sleeving to reveal the copper internal and wrap the red positive around the front footwell stripped positive feed then tape it up with some electrical tape,

and repeat the process for the negative feed.

the front footwell loom cables should be Orange and Black

so splice Red to Orange and Black to Black. ensure to do them one at a time because if the terminals meet then the fuse will blow and you may also need to get the code for the stereo so please ensure not to strip the two terminals at the same time. only stip one then tape it up before stripping the second one.

finally the led pods in the rear will be illuminated if this guide was followed correctly.
and you can position the as required while sticking the other sides of the double sided pads to the tops of the rear footwell blowers.

the rear footwell lights will operate exactly the same and fade in and out in time with the front footwell lighting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

im going to make a PDF version of this now too for others to download and print if required.

#30 AJ_sXe

AJ_sXe

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Here is a guide on fitting the led pods to the rear footwells in your ford.

you will require

in this guide you will notice i have fitted some 3 led pods and the ones linked in the post above are 5 led their isint really much difference in the additional two leds under the footwell but i reckon the 5 led pods would give a slightly better effect.

as you can see in the image below,
the pods come from the supplier pre-wired with red and black terminals on the ends and 1.5metre of cable attached.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i found the casing of the pods to be quite shiny and i wrapped them in a layer of black electrical tape to help keep them hidden under the rear footwells and not really noticable unless they are illuminated.

Posted Image

first step:
strip the ends of both red and black terminals on the end of both units and splice them togeather with one ond of the purchased 2 metre red&black 10amp cable. join the 3 black feeds to each other and tape them togeather using the purchased e;ectrical tape followed by performing the same action with the 3 red terminals. then tape the two bulk insulated cables togeather to create a Y shaped loom, ensure the red and black feeds are insulated seperatly before taping them togeather as one loom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

if desired you can wrap the surround of the pods in black tape too, then fit one or two double sided sticky pads to one side of each pod.

once complete,
you can then bring the new wired loom with pods attached in to the car.

Posted Image

un-bolt the centre console so as it can be lifted up to fit you hand underneath it,
then begin to fish the cables under the seats on both sides ensuring that they are under the slide rails of the seats,
leave around 2 inches of excess cable encase the units ever get caught on anything the cable is not likely to snap if their is a slight bit of excess their to allow for stretching, for example of a small umbrella was to be pulled from under the seat and it caught on the loom of the footwell light pod.

do not stick the pods to the top of the rear footwell heater blowers yet because they may tear off with the fishing of the cables,
wait to mount them correctly at the end of the process.

next step is to locate the front footwell loom cables on the passenger side footwell,
fish your rear footwell loom in to the front of the passenger footwell through the centre console.

cut the excess cable from the rear footwell loom then like pealing a Banna.
using your stanley blade gently peal back the positive feed on the existing front footwell loom feed.
peel back the sleeving to reveal the copper internal and wrap the red positive around the front footwell stripped positive feed then tape it up with some electrical tape,

and repeat the process for the negative feed.

the front footwell loom cables should be Orange and Black

so splice Red to Orange and Black to Black. ensure to do them one at a time because if the terminals meet then the fuse will blow and you may also need to get the code for the stereo so please ensure not to strip the two terminals at the same time. only stip one then tape it up before stripping the second one.

finally the led pods in the rear will be illuminated if this guide was followed correctly.
and you can position the as required while sticking the other sides of the double sided pads to the tops of the rear footwell blowers.

the rear footwell lights will operate exactly the same and fade in and out in time with the front footwell lighting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

im going to make a PDF version of this now too for others to download and print if required.

Awesome, I'm defo gonna give this some serious thought, looks like a simple electrical splice even I can do!

Danké muchly!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users