Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refitting Wing Panel?

Brigante

Hi all

I recently had to have the front passenger side wing panel replaced on my mk2 focus. The bloke who fitted it didn't fit it properly and as a result the top part of the wing sticks out about 7 or 8mm further than the door panel when as you all know it should be flush with the rest of the car. This has also made the mud flap not fit properly either.

The bloke who fitted it in the first place isn't an option for rectifying it as he is my mother's now ex fella and saying we didn't get on when they was actually still together is a big understatement so now I need to find another way of sorting it out.

I believe he just hadn't positioned it properly before bolting it on so I think all that needs doing is loosening the bolts so that the panel can be pushed in properly and then tighten the bolts again and job done.

Lenny our resident sherpa has already been of great help on this but if anyone has had any experience on fitting panels themselves I would greatly appreciate any advice they can offer up on the locations of the bolts and how to access them and the socket size needed.

Here are some photos of the job at hand, the wing panel and the mud flap:

202248_464057130279512_1954372941_o.jpg

178515_464057286946163_582578378_o.jpg

Thanks in advance people.

Jesus was he blind or drunk? Or even blind drunk?

The best thing once you locate the bolts is to use panel clamps around the edges which means you can adjust the alignment until you're totally happy then bolt them properly.

Anything better than that mess you've been left with.

Jesus was he blind or drunk? Or even blind drunk?

The best thing once you locate the bolts is to use panel clamps around the edges which means you can adjust the alignment until you're totally happy then bolt them properly.

Anything better than that mess you've been left with.

Blind I think mate. Believe it or not he is a retired mechanic with donkeys years experience but did say he hadn't fitted panels in a while. But !Removed! hell didn't think he could bodge it this much. It's cause of him fitting this that resulted in me not being able to get my bonnet open for 2 weeks till I actually got time to have a play around and ended up fixing it myself. Some how he thought the bonnet problem was a fuse problem and wanted to start ripping fuses out :wacko: when its clearly not electric related so I told him to get the fook away from my car and prayed I wouldn't break down till I managed to fix it.

Now I'm hoping to sort the rest of his mess out before I'm back to work on the 23rd and stuck on day shift so I'll have even less time to try and fix it. Whatever I do can't be any worse that what he's already done to it so way I see it all I need is a ratchet and socket set and knowing where the bolts are and I'll sort it myself.

I'm looking to treat my poor car to a MS design body kit at some point when I'm back at work to show it some love so I need the panel sorting before I can put side skirts on.

Don't suppose you know anyone who can help or knows where exactly the bolts are?

Anybody? Help?

Just had a look at my 2005 tdci drivers side top 3 bolts 2 under the plastic cover by washer bottle and 1 by wiper (youll see it bolting the upper by the windscreen) 1 i can see by the headlight you accesss from underneath dont think you should have to remove headlight remove the wheel arch liner theres at least one i can see there (but as i,m looking at drivers side the washer bottle is in the way so i suspect at least 2) 2 torq screws on lower wing trim usualy theres at least 1 maybe 2 holding that lower edge in i would remove the wing mirror outer trim as looking at a picture of a new wing looks like 1 bolt is concealed under there did he use wing sealent when putting this on and did he remove the old stuff as i suspect this is whats pushing it out i,e to much if the wing looks ok at the front i would just concetrate on the rears saying that if it is to much sealent the whole wing will have to come off to clean up and re seat hope this helps

Wow cheers for your help mate gonna try and get a good look today now and and see if i can finally sort this out before it starts raining again. Nice one

1. not a problem there are also two bolts hold the wing to the lower edge of the bumper accessed from below

Ok so I started having a go at sorting the wing out and now I have a slight problem..

On loosening this bolt

469423_464740783544480_257976971_o.jpg

This thing come off something and fell out the bottom of the car

337235_464740440211181_1611898449_o.jpg

And I cant work out where it came from or how loosening that bolt would have made it fall off.

Anybody got any ideas?

Gave up on it for now, loosened 5 bolts ( 3 under the bonnet, 1 under the wing mirror outer trim and 1 in the door way by the hinges) and pushed the panel in, seems to of made some difference but not much. Partly removed the wheel arch liner but couldn't work out where the bolts was so I'll have to give it a better go later when I have more time.

For now I need to work out where that part fell from.

• that clip fits on the lower scuttle panel there should be two of them have you removed the windscreen scuttle panel underneath that is a metal one about centre if the other one is still in place you will see where it fits panel then sits under (again you will see what i mean if the other one is still in place) .

I'll go look now mate, don't get how loosening that bolt made this jump out though =S

got a feelin when he put the wing on hes had this panel off and left the clip off put it somewhere and couldnt find it

got a feelin when he put the wing on hes had this panel off and left the clip off put it somewhere and couldnt find it

Probably under the wing judging by the ill fitting ;)

Think your right mate cause it didn't seem to be attached to anything and literally just pinged out the bottom of the car when I hadn't even touched the scuttle panel.

Had a butchers and I can't see the other one anywhere to get an idea where this one is meant to go. Is it somthing that urgently needs putting back on or will it be ok till I can work out where it goes?

If you or anyone else has time mate I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a photo under your bonnet showing where exactly it needs to be.

Probably under the wing judging by the ill fitting ;)

Think you might be right there dude. How you think I feel driving it around looking the way it does, my poor cars been through enough as it is without that nob head playing Picasso on the side of my car :(

On an unrelated note, today the missus noticed that my electric windows go all the way down on one touch but now won't go all the way back up on one touch and I now have to hold the switch up to get the windows to go all the way back up.

Would this have anything to do with having the car battery replaced the other day? If not, what else could have caused this? And how do I reprogram the windows to go all the way back up with one touch and not have to hold the switch till its up?

Thanks guys

Will try an take a photo tommrow but its not that inportant more of a locater for the panel cant realy see what other purpose it serves .

On an unrelated note, today the missus noticed that my electric windows go all the way down on one touch but now won't go all the way back up on one touch and I now have to hold the switch up to get the windows to go all the way back up.

Would this have anything to do with having the car battery replaced the other day? If not, what else could have caused this? And how do I reprogram the windows to go all the way back up with one touch and not have to hold the switch till its up?

Thanks guys

Windows are only one touch opening not one touch closing !!

yep mine are the same so was my mk1 yet the vw you clicked up twice and it did it

Well that's really confusing cause up till today my windows always did go back up with one touch and I know I am not mistaken cause I've owned the car a few months now, used the windows every day and they did go back up with one touch. That's why when the missus tried putting her window back up today it seemed so strange having to hold it in to get it to go back up :wacko:

Will try an take a photo tommrow but its not that inportant more of a locater for the panel cant realy see what other purpose it serves .

Cheers mate was thinking the same but just making sure nothings going to randomly drop off the car when driving around lol

This is not true on the Ghia.

Charlie, you know I have an almost identical car to yours - you can be reassured that it should be one-touch open AND one-touch close. Not sure what could have caused yours to change though, or what you need to do to fix it! Apologies.

Possibly could have been the ECU reset from a battery swap. Let me know if you ever find out though - just incase it ever happens to me after a battery swap or something!

Reprogramming this has been discussed on here somewhere.

Something about resetting one window at a time and along the lines of rolling window all way down and holding button down for a certain time and up and hold up etc.

Searching for one touch reset should do it.

This is not true on the Ghia.

Charlie, you know I have an almost identical car to yours - you can be reassured that it should be one-touch open AND one-touch close. Not sure what could have caused yours to change though, or what you need to do to fix it! Apologies.

Possibly could have been the ECU reset from a battery swap. Let me know if you ever find out though - just incase it ever happens to me after a battery swap or something!

Was hoping you would pop up mate so thanks for confirming this, thought I was going mad for a second cause I could have sworn my windows had been going up with one touch all these months and had a feeling it must be a ghia feature.

Reprogramming this has been discussed on here somewhere.

Something about resetting one window at a time and along the lines of rolling window all way down and holding button down for a certain time and up and hold up etc.

Searching for one touch reset should do it.

Sounds about right Stoney I'll have a search now. !Removed! cars stressing me well out seems to be one thing after another. Reckon it's something to do with buying it on Friday the 13th.

While I've got you, you know the surround around the heated windscreen buttons under the head unit surround, how do I remove this so that I can carbon wrap it too? Unscrewed a few screws and pulled on it when I was doing the head unit surround but it wouldn't really budge and didn't wanna yank too hard in case I broke something.

If I remember correctly it's 2 screws and pull forward.

Cables unplug from the rear and job done.

Thought so, will give it another go tomorrow. Didn't wanna pull to hard in case I broke the cables. Guess brute force is still always the way.

Right just had a play with the windows and its sorted now so it is one-touch open AND one-touch close.

GSM if this happens to you it seems what you have to do to reset it is open the window, then close it by holding the switch up but then when its fully closed continue holding it up for a second and then let go and lift it 3 times about a second a time. You will hear a click in the window mechanism and it should be back to normal.

Although the first time I did this just now, all windows went back to normal except for the driverside, some how it reversed itself and was now one-touch close but not one-touch open and I had to hold the switch down to open it :S but then I did it a few more times and it went back to the normal one-touch open and close