Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Footwell Lighting To Your Ford

Lenny

yeh np, just got to decided what colour leds bulb to buy now, :wacko:

You should fit the rear footwell lighting while your there and waiting a couple of weeks anyways.

thanks stoney,

and yeh lenny, the rears dont get used much so dont need the lights currently but its good that its only a couple of wires away :)

on a side note just ordered some blue Led t10 bulbs, should look nice with the blue ignition ring :P

some bad news guys,

i removed the trim on both sides, fed the loom through, then tried to fit the bulb holders into the hole and lock it, then came puttin the bulb in and found that i had crsuhed the contacts inside and the bulb would not go in, :( luckily this was on the first of the lights so the other holder is fine, i wonder whether there is some hard plastic lock holders rather than rubber?

20130125_131428_zps080ed6bc.jpg

With that holder you can push up on the wires and the contacts will slide out of the rubber bit.

That will allow you to straighten the contacts up.

With that holder you can push up on the wires and the contacts will slide out of the rubber bit.

That will allow you to straighten the contacts up.

excellent advice, thankyou now my bulb holder fixed :D maybe it be easier to push the wires out, lock the ruber in the mount and then pull the wires back through?

You may also find it will be a good idea to cut one pair of opposing lugs off the bulb holders as the holes under the dash only have two lug spaces.

Leaving all four lugs on means the holders don't sit straight.

I found this problem with mine and removing the lugs does help.

thanks again stoney brilliaint advice :) hopefully if the weather holds on i might try again

• 10 months later...

i got red bulbs x2 delivered this morning but im unsure how to remove the current bulbs in place and put the new ones in.

any help would be appreciated

gary

thanx stoney i will try and pull it out tomorrow. hopefully my map light bulbs will arrive then too.

so i dont have to unscrew anything to replace the bulb.

also i cant find the one on the passengers side.

gary

No unscrewing needed.

With passenger side do you mean no bulb there or no wiring?

If no wiring yhen it may have gone behind the dash panelling.

couldnt find a bulb there. i gotta get a fuse box cover too if i can find one. the cloth type one i have is ruined.

if it has gone behind the dash bord how do i get it back out

I have a plastic mesh type cover on my fuse box.

Can you see any light glowing anywhere from the passenger side to indicate where the holder might have gone to?

The wiring can't have gone too far, a bit of poking around will be necessary.

where u get it from. i checked it and can see the light but looks like its gonna be hard to get out

• 4 weeks later...

I've just fitted lights to my 2002 focus, there were no wires behind glove box, so I spliced into interior light, and ran cable down A pillar

They fade in and out when door opened, but when totally switched off at interior light dome, the footwell lights still come on , when door opened, but they do fade out after time, is there a way round this? Because if I had the car door opened for say cleaning hoovering etc the lights would remain lit.

• Like 1

I've just fitted lights to my 2002 focus, there were no wires behind glove box, so I spliced into interior light, and ran cable down A pillar

They fade in and out when door opened, but when totally switched off at interior light dome, the footwell lights still come on , when door opened, but they do fade out after time, is there a way round this? Because if I had the car door opened for say cleaning hoovering etc the lights would remain lit.

Hi Roy,

The way your foot well lighting currently functions is exactly the same as fords standard foot well lighting design.

The GEM automatically cuts power to the interior lighting after 30 minutes,

So if hoovering/cleaning with any door or boot door open for a duration greater than 30 minutes the GEM will cut the power to save your battery.

However if you would like full control over the foot well lighting you can fit a 12v rocker switch to the positive feed on the foot well lighting loom allowing you to cut the power flowing to them.

Purchase two insulated female spade connectors and a 12v rocker switch.

Cut the positive feed at a location where you would like the switch to be,

Fit a female insulated spade connector to each exposed positive cable,

Plug the crimped connectors in to your switch.

There you have full control of the foot well lighting to turn them off or in auto.

If you've used LED Bulbs then the current draw will be small so having them on for 30 minutes will be of no impact overall.

• Like 1

If you've used LED bulbs then the current draw will be small so having them on for 30 minutes will be of no impact overall.

+1

A 9v smoke alarm type battery will power an L.E.D for 9 years or something like that

I've got both front&rear foot well lighting plus ford logo puddle lights in operation on mine and never had battery trouble.

Whatever makes you happy though, tis your car mate if you want t fit a switch you can no worrys ;)

• 4 months later...

Where can I get footwell lighting please , I need wires and bulbs as I have nothing :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Where can I get footwell lighting please , I need wires and bulbs as I have nothing :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Ford OC mobile app

see page 1 of the guide for links to purchase the parts

• 5 months later...

Haha - mate of mine has just picked up a 59 plate Focus Estate...really wanted footwell lights so asked me to have a look

Bulb holders present, but no power to them lol

As it's a taxi, can't go faffing about with wiring lol