Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 owls4ever

owls4ever

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Ford Model: 54 reg 1.6 Ford Focus
Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

mpg... is the average on the dash accurate-ish? I started writing down mileage and fuel amount at every fill and was going to work it out by hand and then lost the bit of paper with the numbers :(
The Econetic should get virtually the same figures as a stock 1.6 I wouldve thought. Flatter wheel trims and harder tyres... anything else?
I get anything from 55 to 64 on the dash. Drove 200 miles one weekend in a car with wife and 2 kids, air con on, 460 litre roofbox stuffed full of camping equipment, 20Kg 6 man tent, calor gas bottle, camping furniture, stove, the works, in the estate boot, and it still reckoned I was getting 60 :o

I have wondered that to be honest, especially the miles left in the tank calc, completely toned down my driving and still won't get 400 miles out of this tank.
Nothing spesh on my model other than the appearance pack.

Time will tell I think with this issue

#18 Jma1_1

Jma1_1

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Also they have specially fitted tyres to the econetic as part of the tests which have low rolling resistance but provide less grip, so tyres do make a difference, the make not just the pressures!

#19 mayo10uk

mayo10uk

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Name: P
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST 3 2014
  • Year: 2014

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

iam getting 50mpg from my focus which has 2000 miles on the clock.

my car is a focus zetec econetic (so the badge on the boot says)

Jamie

Hi Jamie, In your signature it says non maintained DPF, how do you find this out ? Thanks. Pat.

10K miles ----- Currently showing 54mpg, Using standard supermarket fuel, when I first got the car had prem fuel in a month ago and was showing 58mpg.

Sits on motorway at 60-65mph..... Journey to work 40 mile trip and half town and motorway.

#20 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi Mayo

1.6 tdci DV6 focus's 2010 on were fitted with coated maintenance free diesel particulate filters.

I have seen on etis that 2.0 tdci's from 2010 have the same filter.

They Burn off the soot accumulation at set intervals exactly the same as the dpf with fluid.

The way i found out was via Etis and a couple of other members

Jamie

#21 mayo10uk

mayo10uk

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Name: P
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST 3 2014
  • Year: 2014

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks.

Okay i'll check my vin tomorrow on ETIS it's raining outside, should really record it.

#22 RickG

RickG

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate Econetic
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well, I have the same but the estate version, and travel about 50 miles a day, and average around 57 mpg and that cruising at 70mph. I just have a pram in the back though, nothing too heavy.

#23 RickG

RickG

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate Econetic
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Also they have specially fitted tyres to the econetic as part of the tests which have low rolling resistance but provide less grip, so tyres do make a difference, the make not just the pressures!

The econetic, from what I believe has a lighter engine and the oil is different. Also added are the aerodynamic additions, such as wheel trims, side skirts and front bumper. Its also lowered 10 mm from a standard focus.

#24 Baldrick69

Baldrick69

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6TDCI

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yes, I also have a 3month old 1.6 econetic TDCi 115 focus. Mine is the estate.

My old 2005 Octavia 140bhp 2.0 diesel regularly got 55-58mpg. Same journey, driven the same way, in the Focus gets 60ish. Very disappointing, and to claim 80+ is fraudulent IMO.

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

no fraud it will do 80mpg in test conditions but we dont drive in test conditions the best way to judge actual mpg is to take the lowest mpg stated usually the combined and actual mpg will not be far off that you also have to remember test cars can be mapped differently and usually are for the emissions regulations

#26 huey45

huey45

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Name: Keith
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 Tdci
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi M8

for what is worth I did a longish trip to RAF Cosford 186 miles from home, and averaged 65mpg with cruise control set at 70mph
on returning home and running round doors my average is 50mpg mine is sept 2012/62 plate with 10k on clock

#27 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

http://www.carmagazi...e-fuel-economy/ interesting article for those who need to know more about how the figures are reached. It says that they are attained on a rolling road...

#28 ben1191

ben1191

If its got an engine,im interested.

• FOC Supporters
  • 356 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: 05 Focus1.8TDCI | 01 fiesta 1.6zs
  • Year: 2005

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

The air con has been used but not too much, windows are up and not load in the boot.
I had thought of the tyres earlier and went to check them, not low at all.

Honest John website is really good so thanks for that. Real life MPG (which I must admit is an absolute joke when you read why the EC figures are so optimistic) is between 44-59.

Real average around 50, so I guess the car is acting 'normal'. So much for efficiency ey, more like a smokescreen!

If i drive my 1.8 tdci carefully i can get 65mpg from it on A roads! Average around 50-55 country laning and city driving.I dont know how you lot manage to get such a low MPG :P

#29 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Does it need a service? have a look at the air filter condition. The first focus i drove was a 1.6TDCI Econetics, it was older than my ZS.

Hertz on demand rental car for 3 days, i drove from london to devon and back spent £54 on fuel and when i got back to london i drove 445 miles it still had more than quarter tank and i drove it like i stole it! i was very impressed with the fuel economy.

My ZS has the same engine and the econetics is no gimmick it really does make a difference, the one i drove had regular summer tyres on 16" mini ST's done the same journey in my ZS and although i got 400 miles the tank was near empty of course i wasn't driving for economy. 

So from my experience the econetics is a totally different beast, it also felt like it had more torque than my ZS, i saved all info on my spendings for that rental even got a pic of the fuel that was left and the mileage done so i would suggest that you check the oil and air filter and overall service of the car.

It's important to note that on a cold engine it will burnt alot of fuel, switch on the instant fuel display and check the difference under acceleration from a warm engine and cold.

it goes without saying that your mileage will depend on the type of road the car is driven on, any kind of urban driving rips into the tank hard

#30 Baldrick69

Baldrick69

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6TDCI

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Gave up with my Focus.  The mpg did improve dramatically after 10k miles but so many other niggles I sold it after only 6 months.  I'll never buy another Ford.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users