Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filters..

gc88

I'll be the first to admit, i have no idea whats in my engine or how it works.

If i wanted to change my air filter, for maybe a better noise (don't get me wrong, i don't want to wake scotland up when i accelerate..) then how would i go about doing it?

Would i need a whole k&n filter system?

Or is there another way, maybe a part which is a straight swap, therefor not needing to tell insurance? (consumable parts and all..)

Who's got what?

Photo's and vids are appreciated :) !

Ps 2.0 petrol engine (59 reg)

depending on the price range and counting out performance as you just want noise ? basically if you look under the bonnet, theres a big sort of rectangular black box with a big pipe comming from the front grill 'cold air feed' inside there is your air filter, this box also works as sound proofing you can remove this box and replace it with a universal performance filter from somewhere like Halfords.

basically screw that to the pipe where the box would be, and hey presto you'll have a throaty intake noise, but these are known for things like 'heatsoak' i.e dragging in warm air from the egine bay wich is not great for performance,

the colder the air the more dense it is thus better explosion, for performance and noise you should get a full intake system from someone like pipercross.

hope that helps mate :)

For something not noticable you would need to go for a direct replacement panel filter, k&n do these, but your not gonna notice much of a noise difference. For a noticeable noise increase you would be better going for a k&n 57i induction kit,, just make sure you fit a good cold air feed as they can suffer 'heat soak' with heat from the engine and this will hinder any gains you may see. As for informing the insurance, that's down to yourself to decide.

depending on the price range and counting out performance as you just want noise ? basically if you look under the bonnet, theres a big sort of rectangular black box with a big pipe comming from the front grill 'cold air feed' inside there is your air filter, this box also works as sound proofing you can remove this box and replace it with a universal performance filter from somewhere like halfords.

basically screw that to the pipe where the box would be, and hey presto you'll have a throaty intake noise, but these are known for things like 'heatsoak' i.e dragging in warm air from the egine bay wich is not great for performance,

the colder the air the more dense it is thus better explosion, for performance and noise you should get a full intake system from someone like pipercross.

hope that helps mate :)

For something not noticable you would need to go for a direct replacement panel filter, k&n do these, but your not gonna notice much of a noise difference. For a noticeable noise increase you would be better going for a k&n 57i induction kit,, just make sure you fit a good cold air feed as they can suffer 'heat soak' with heat from the engine and this will hinder any gains you may see. As for informing the insurance, that's down to yourself to decide.

Thanks guys,

I've just looked at my current standard filter, its not a panel, its a cone / round one.

So i'm guessing i would need one like this..?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK3-2-0-08-2007-2009-K-N-AIR-FILTER-KN-NEW-/310169842465?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4837903321

Can i just leave the top of the box off..? or will that do bad stuff to my engine?

:)

im unsure myself if i wannt to just go for a simple cone filter or go for a full induction kit with a cold air feed built into the bottom grill.

My thoughts are that if i keep it how it is, ie replacement filter nothing else, then thats a consumable therefore no mods therefore its not affecting insurance.

if i do the whole induction, that becomes a mod and ins want +20%

what i don't want though, is to get one for 40£ and have nothing different.

I want it to sound a little bit better, but not like a barry boy!

According to my insurance, as i have to modify stuff for that, not just remove a filter and replace it, that would be a 20% + increase..

So maybe just the filter i linked or similar?

Any other decent makes other than k&N?

yeah other normal cone filter will do the job and give you that sound your after. but also its the point of heak stroke which can reduce proformance.

myself i would go for a branded name, like pipercross or k&n.

i know that k&n guarantee there filters for 100,000 miles...u will need air filter cleaner which k&n supply.

k n n cone filter with a heatshield round the exposed top half keep the bottom of the airbox in then put a cold air feed behind the headlight or down behind the bottom grill and have it so it blows to the top part of the airfiltert where the heatshield is. you will still get heat soak.

Thanks guys,

I've just looked at my current standard filter, its not a panel, its a cone / round one.

So i'm guessing i would need one like this..?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4837903321

Can i just leave the top of the box off..? or will that do bad stuff to my engine?

:)

I have more or less the same one on my 1.8 tdci and ive replaced it with a pipercross cone, this is all contained like standard inside the factory air box.

its more for performance as i have a remap and tbh the intake sound on a diesel doesnt sound that good.

in theory you could take the top of the airbox and leave the filter in aslong as its properly secured the only point of the filter is to stop particles being sucked in, the factory airbox is designed to quite down the intake along with other things, and tbh in my experiance there isnt much noise difference between aftermarket filters, you'll only hear the intake sound properly under medium to hard acceleration.

im unsure myself if i wannt to just go for a simple cone filter or go for a full induction kit with a cold air feed built into the bottom grill.

If you have the money the full induction kit will be best and as artscot says a heat shield of some sort would help.

Remember though that any of these 'performance' air filters let in more air but can only do so by being less restrictive i.e. they do not filter dirt as efficiently as normal paper filters. Its a trade off between flow and filtering. These articles make interesting reading:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Of course, in a car that is heavily modified to gain every extra horse power available then I'd say it was worth it. But for normal use, IMO the increase in power will be so minimal it is not worth the potential damage caused by the extra dirt making its way into the cylinders as a result of using the high air flow filters.

Remember though that any of these 'performance' air filters let in more air but can only do so by being less restrictive i.e. they do not filter dirt as efficiently as normal paper filters. Its a trade off between flow and filtering. These articles make interesting reading:

http://www.nicoclub....oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheo...er/airtest1.htm

Of course, in a car that is heavily modified to gain every extra horse power available then I'd say it was worth it. But for normal use, IMO the increase in power will be so minimal it is not worth the potential damage caused by the extra dirt making its way into the cylinders as a result of using the high air flow filters.

So i keep reading everywhere!

I'm not after any performance gains... 145hp is plenty for me and UK roads, im not a barry boy!

However i would like my car to sound a bit more meaty, and a bit less of a nissan micra - if you know what i mean?

lol fair enough mate. if it was me I would go with a up-rated back box, that would give you a bit of a roar and you wouldnt need to worry about any possible damage a rubbish air filter is doing. yes, I know you then have the problem with idiot insurance companies upping the insurance premium.... one thing to consider though, I used to have a polo gti and the middle section of the exhaust needing replacing. the garage never had any standard pipes but they did have a 'sporty' one, it made a great difference to the sound! could really hear a bit of a growl in the exhaust, even with a standard back box. I dont think the insurance company would look so badly on the centre section, most are concerned with just the silencer.

Maybe i'll just take a drill to the exhaust after the MOT...

(im joking)

cant agree with the statement that some filters are not as good. the new focus mk2.5 cone style filter is basically an induction filter mountune also supply filters that are approved by ford i read the test page and quite frankly most was a load of tosh i know for a fact when i had the vw that vw were arguing failed maf sensors were due to k n filters being fitted free of charge k n had paid to get my maf checked out and it wasnt even faulty the dealers equipment was not able to detect the actual issue and simply pointed at the maf.

on another note you get what you think is best mate a backbox will give you that sporty note they are reasonably cheap and they last a few years

cant agree with the statement that some filters are not as good. the new focus mk2.5 cone style filter is basically an induction filter mountune also supply filters that are approved by ford i read the test page and quite frankly most was a load of tosh i know for a fact when i had the vw that vw were arguing failed maf sensors were due to k n filters being fitted free of charge k n had paid to get my maf checked out and it wasnt even faulty the dealers equipment was not able to detect the actual issue and simply pointed at the maf.

on another note you get what you think is best mate a backbox will give you that sporty note they are reasonably cheap and they last a few years

Fair play, trouble is i don't know what i thinks best!

A new back box will need to be declared to insurance surely, if its different or sportier? Adding the 20% on top.

All i want i a little bit more of a noisey grunt! I thought it would be easy!

back boxes technically give no increase in power

back boxes technically give no increase in power

4-2-1 Manifold and a decat pipe

will give an increase through out the gears and a nice grunt but may be up to £1000 if its possible to fit the 4-2-1 formation in the pipes under the engine arangment,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club