Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HEADLIGHT BULB REPLACEMENT

philg

Hi All

Found out that my Headlamp bulb on drivers side has gone. Bought a new set of bulbs and had problems taking the light fitting out to replace the bulb. Any one had similar troubles. Is it easy and I am just getting to old or am I missing something.

I normally just take a bulb out and put a new one in, but it does not seem that simple now.

My Focus is a W reg 2000 1.8 tdi.

Phil

Its not difficult - there's a wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in at the back, have to sort of squeeze it in at one side and it pops open.

I know that's a bit vague, perseverance is key. I have to figure it out every time I change a bulb. :)

Can't quite remember what its like on MK1 headlights - my MK1 has ST170 headlights and I can't even see the back of the bulb. Have to do it by touch alone.

Its not difficult - there's a wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in at the back, have to sort of squeeze it in at one side and it pops open.

I know that's a bit vague, perseverance is key. I have to figure it out every time I change a bulb. :)

Can't quite remember what its like on MK1 headlights - my MK1 has ST170 headlights and I can't even see the back of the bulb. Have to do it by touch alone.

Its exactly how you detailed matey. Just not as hard to get the backs off as it is on yours.

Its exactly how you detailed matey. Just not as hard to get the backs off as it is on yours.

Yeah, you don't have to take the battery/housing off to get at the n/s bulbs on Mk1 lights. :huh:

Hi All

Found out that my Headlamp bulb on drivers side has gone. Bought a new set of bulbs and had problems taking the light fitting out to replace the bulb. Any one had similar troubles. Is it easy and I am just getting to old or am I missing something.

I normally just take a bulb out and put a new one in, but it does not seem that simple now.

Phil

[/quot

Hiya m8 i had the same problem this weekend went to halfords to get a new bulb and see they got a special offer on super brilliance blue bulbs (BOGOF) anyways i wish i never botherd!! Had major problems getting the clip undone and after finally getting the bulb in and the clip on i then had to mess about getting the cover on. (all this would be fine if i had a hand the size of a 5 year old) then proceeded to do passenger side and could have cryed coz the battery sits behind it!

Took me 1hr 30mins to change 2 bulbs not impressed!

Hi All

Phil

Hiya m8 i had the same problem this weekend went to Halfords to get a new bulb and see they got a special offer on super brilliance blue bulbs (BOGOF) anyways i wish i never botherd!! Had major problems getting the clip undone and after finally getting the bulb in and the clip on i then had to mess about getting the cover on. (all this would be fine if i had a hand the size of a 5 year old) then proceeded to do passenger side and could have cryed coz the battery sits behind it!

Took me 1hr 30mins to change 2 bulbs not impressed!

The easiest way of changing the Mk1.5 bulbs is to take the passenger side headlight unit off the car. Sadly same with the Mk2 Mondeo.

I worked on it this morning and successfully changed the bulb. A bit of messing about and I agree that its so silly to make it that difficult. But wanted to say thanks for all your help.

Phil

The easiest way of changing the Mk1.5 bulbs is to take the passenger side headlight unit off the car. Sadly same with the Mk2 Mondeo.

I had a 2005 MK3 Mondeo - to take both headlights off and replace both lamps took about 15 mins from start to finish. Can I do the same with my 2002 Focus then (I've not tried yet, I just thought I had to replace the bulb with the light in situ)? Taking the headlight units off seemed the easiest way of doing that job.

Not quite as simple for the diesels as popping the light out. Unless its been removed by a previous owner and left off theres a belly pan under the engine. To get to the bottom bolt holding the light in you either have to remove this or the wheel arch liner.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided that the lights that were in my mk 1.5 TDCi were !Removed! poor so bought a pair of Nightbreakers and prepared meself for the worst. Changing the dipped beam bulb in this car is noto the headache it's perceived to be - ok so it's a bit fiddly, but it's not that hard. There is plenty of room on the offside to remove the cover, twist it into a position that it fits through the gap and lift it out to get access to the innards of the lamp. The nearside follows the same principle although I did pull the battery cover off to give me a bit more space - the most difficult thing was putting the retainer clip in the wrong place. Total time was about 25 minutes and I think that would improve with practice :lol:

I don't fancy having to chane the main beam H1s though!!

It appears that whoever has changed the lamps in the past has removed and not refitted the dust cover on the back of the nearside headlight. Does anybody happen to know the part number for it so I can source a new one?

I dont know the finis code for them but they arent expensive from Ford (or didnt used to be). I paid £4 for a whole backplate for my Mk1 just to pull the cover off and threw the rest away.