Photo

'05 Focus Spitting / Chugging.. Any Ideas??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Silvester

Paul Silvester

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

A couple of days ago the engine light come on on my '05 Focus Climate and it was chugging, seemed like it was running on only 3 plugs, so I had a look and noticed rusty water around spark plugs 1 and 2 - I know this is a common water jet leaking issue, so I cleaned it all up, reset the engine light and it ran perfectly. This evening however, its started chugging again, but this time there is no water around the plugs, everything there is bone dry. Also - I cant be sure as I cant remember what the water level was a couple of days ago, but the water level is now on minimum.. As I say I cant be sure Ive lost water, but I like to think I would have noticed that it was on minimum.. It hasnt left any puddles or anything anywhere, so theres no obvious signs of leaking.. Can anyone give me any pointers?? Has this happened to anyone else? What is it likely to be? Ive only had the car a week and so not looking to spend out on it already..

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Andy 1965

Andy 1965

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2002

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

It could be the plug leads or the coil pack. Also, take off the oil filler cap to check for emulsification which will show up like milky white oil. If the oil is okay, it is more than likely an electrical fault.

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

possibly the water leaking into the spark plug ports c an cause the coolant plugs to rust which will allow coolant through removing a plug should show this

#4 GavChap

GavChap

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

You said the engine light came on, can you tell us the diagnostics codes? You can do the focus dash trick to find them out.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users