Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Steven
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'm not one to usually put supermarket fuel in my car but at around 80-odd p I think I will be taking advantage of this while it lasts! Just wanted to give you guys the heads up!!

http://www.tesco.com...etrol-promotion

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Petrol without the tax!

#3 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Doesn't work out at a very good deal. It costs me £65ish to fill up, so if I did that at Tesco with 50p a litre off, then it would only cost me £40, saving me £25, but to get the coupons you need to by £47 worth of stuff.

Only really a good deal if you were intending to buy coffee, squash, toilet paper, beans and washing powder.

So it's £87 for all that plus a tank of fuel. But I could easily get squash, toilet paper, beans and washing power (I don't drink coffee) for £22 elsewhere/different brands, so I reckon I could get all those items plus a fuel tank of fuel at normal prices for £87.

A bit of maths saves the day again!

#4 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

but you forgot about your clubcard points!!! :P

#5 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

but you forgot about your clubcard points!!! :P

Haha, Tesco is far too expensive for the likes of me so I have no such loyalty card!

I've got a Morrisons, Asda, Lidl and Home Bargains within half a mile of my house, so a trip to them all once a month gives me optimal value for money!

#6 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Unfortunately Tesco is literally about10 seconds from my flat, they have me ensnared :(

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,204 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

I get a loyalty card wherever I go, no matter how little I use it, if they want my custom they better !Removed! reward me for it! :P I wouldnt go for that offer though, as GSM said, petrol without the tax, but when your forking out £80 odd for a 60 quid tank of fuel...

#8 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Unfortunately Tesco is literally about10 seconds from my flat, they have me ensnared :(

To be fair the closest two supermarkets to me is a small Scot-mid and a Tesco Metro or Express or whatever it's called. But they're just too expensive so I take a short drive down the road to the ASDA/Lidl/Home Bargains/Morrisons.

Another excuse to drive the lovely car I suppose :P.

#9 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I get a loyalty card wherever I go, no matter how little I use it, if they want my custom they better !Removed! reward me for it! :P I wouldnt go for that offer though, as GSM said, petrol without the tax, but when your forking out £80 odd for a 60 quid tank of fuel...

I did that too, but got fed up with the cluttered wallet (because, despite taking loyalty cards from everywhere, I was loyal to none of them, and so just ended up with about 6 cards - a wallet full of loyalty cards... such irony) and the fact that you need to spend about a million quid to get a fivers worth of fuel vouchers back or something.

Took me 2 years of driving at first until my Shell loyalty card return £2.50 off my next fill..........

#10 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

afraid the loyalty card i use most often is for nandos.... :unsure:

#11 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,489 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

You get better loyalty points for busty barbara's bondage boudoir.
(oopsy) ;)

#12 raskL

raskL

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: phil

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have a bit of a thing with tesco fuel i cant conclusivley prove it but heres what evidence i have so far :

just lately (this will be the fifth french car comming in with same problem) a customer brought in a pug 206 gti 180 and said the antipollution light keeps comming on, we went through everything as usual couldnt find anything apart from a slightly over dirty fuel filter for the mileage. changed it gave the engine a thorough clean drained existing fuel and went and put £10 of shell v power in, took it for a 15 mile test drive, everything was fine no problems.
so signed it off and customer was happy.

3 days later came back with same problem this time we checked everything from fuel system to sensors nothing doing, anyway one of the rac guys came in with a car and we had a chat, he said "I bet you its that crappy tesco petrol, my mates a tanker delivery driver and they use the worst grade posible".

so i phone the customer back and after a good chat he thinks this could have been happening after filling up at tesco alot lately, and the light comming on seems to be about the same time, so 3 days later he calls back in and says its never happened since ive been filling up at morrisons :D. like i say this is the 5th or 6th time we had this problem and couldnt resolve it, i cant say anything about the diesel, but maybe something to think about.

#13 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Strange. You'd think they'd have the cheapest fuel if it's the lowest quality. Not round my way, anyway.

#14 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

i never usually fill up with supermarket fuel if I can help it but this has confirmed my fears!

#15 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I alternate between ASDA fuel and Shell fuel on a 3:1 ratio. Seems to run just fine.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users