Best Polish To Use For Getting Scratches Out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie1910

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am new to this forum so go steady on me!

We have recently brought a 2010 Ford Fiestz Zetec S (Street Pack) in Arctic White, and while my partner was driving home last night, she went over a higher than normal speed bump.
This has caused some scratches to the front bumper/splitter, about 6 in all, took the paint off (light grey underneath) but not made any deep holes/grooves,
What would you recommend I could use to try and get these out?
Recommended polish?
Touch up pen?

Thanks everyone

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 raskL

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: phil
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2007

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

the best and cheapest solution is to go down to halfords take your colour code in should be inside drivers door on a sticker, theyll mix you some paint in a little pot and give you some laquer.

get a realy small art style paint brush and put tiny amounts in the scratches till its about level , you wont get this perfect but dont worry.

leave it for a good 3 - 4 hours.

get some medium grade polish like t-cut or scratch restore, polish it with finger on a cloth and concentrate just on the small area close to the scratch, when it looks blended in put a small amount of laquer on (need a steady hand for this as it can look a bit crappy if you get it over existing good paintwork) then go over whole car or area with a light polish, i recomend g3 or autoglym resin polish.

thats the best finish you'll probably get by hand.

#3 Charlie1910

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

• Thank you for the reply, most appreciative. Just to make sure I described correctly! As it is the plastic splitter, it is more like a rubbing from the speed bump, yes they are scratches about 6 , but not the conventional ones you would get say from a key or sharp finger nail. I have never attempted anything like this before, so the most easiest or shall we say "less damage i could further cause" solutiuon would be brilliant!

#4 NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

If you think that the marks are a deposit from the speed bump and on the surface of the paint, they can be removed with a mild abrasive metal polish or even toothpaste then use T cut and then car polish. if the speed bump has removed the bumper paint then do as raskL Phil suggested.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users