Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Led For Headlights... Illegal Or Not?

Fiesta1.25

Could anyone tell me if using an LED direct plugin H7 fitment for my headlight will pass an mot or are they completely illegal and should avoid fitting them?

Something like this one......

LED-bulbs-450.jpg

Any comments will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

They are legal to buy and will give a brilliant light. However they are not road legal as you would probably be better off driving by candle.light. LED's are no where near as powerful as Halogens. The technology isnt that good yet, but I am sure that one day it will be. For the time being though I doubt they would provide any beam pattern and you will not see where you are going at night.

Buy some Osram Nightbreakers or the Phillips Bluevision bulbs or similar if you feel you need a crisper brighter light.

Thank you for your reply, I was on the verge of buying some led's like the ones in the picture but think I will give them a miss now, I did think they would be plenty bright enough it was more the beam image I was unsure about.

I will look into the halogens you have recommended,

Thanks again.

Also there is no pattern on LED headlights and this also fails them on the road legal section HID is best to go

They are legal to buy and will give a brilliant light. However they are not road legal as you would probably be better off driving by candle.light. LED's are no where near as powerful as Halogens. The technology isnt that good yet, but I am sure that one day it will be. For the time being though I doubt they would provide any beam pattern and you will not see where you are going at night.

Buy some Osram Nightbreakers or the Phillips Bluevision bulbs or similar if you feel you need a crisper brighter light.

totally agree mate,

ive fitted some Cree H11 fog light bulbs cost be £28 they are a lovely 6000k white and look just like a HID Kit but their is more light emitted from the stock bulb than the cree front fogs.

ive still got them fitted but ive upgraded the low and high beam to osram night breaker plus, which compensate for the fogs.

here are the cree H11 in action

Image1657.jpg

Image1659.jpg

Also there is no pattern on LED headlights and this also fails them on the road legal section HID is best to go

+1 led parking bulbs and DRL's are legal because the are for marking out the position of the vehicle

but they are not legal for high or low beam wher the projection of the light is required to be focused on a fixed point and level in the distance, leds cant be all focused on to a fixed point. like halogen or HID can.

The beam pattern from LED Bulbs is too diffused to give a good headlight beam.

Better to stick to the recommended Philips Bluevision or Osram Nightbreakers.

I personally use Halfords Ultra Brilliance bulbs, they don't seem that bright on well lit roads but really chuck out a nice clear pattern and definition on Motorways\A roads\unlit country lanes.

...and your headlights would look like the inside of a garden centre in December.

Cheers for your responses....

Could you tell me what I would need to buy to convert my standard halogens into HID's on my 2005 pre facelift fiesta 1.25.

Or send links to the parts?

Thanks kindly

Hey mate, The HID conversion comes as a kit and also includes instructions, If I remember, there's no need to cut and solder wires together, if you don't wish to. The bulbs will change from H4's to H7's, But they will be 10x Brighter, Just eBay a HID Kit for a fiesta mk6

Hey mate, The HID conversion comes as a kit and also includes instructions, If I remember, there's no need to cut and solder wires together, if you don't wish to. The bulbs will change from H4's to H7's, But they will be 10x Brighter, Just ebay a HID kit for a fiesta mk6

Cheers Lloyday I have found a cheap kit on eBay but the kit isn't CANbus, so if my car uses that wiring system then the HID Kit would throw up warning lights,

Do you know if my car uses CANbus wiring system?

Also the kit I am looking at gives me the option of bulb type, and colour temperature..... What would you recommend? Thanks

Cheers Lloyday I have found a cheap kit on eBay but the kit isn't CANbus, so if my car uses that wiring system then the HID kit would throw up warning lights,

Do you know if my car uses CANbus wiring system?

Also the kit I am looking at gives me the option of bulb type, and colour temperature..... What would you recommend? Thanks

anything over 6000kelvin is not legal for road use as for the canbus system im not sure but you can fit canbus compatable parts to both

better safe than sorry.

buy canbus and it will work either way.

Thank you for all the valuable info and help, I would no doubt have broken the law and went for the 1000k :-p Now I know not to above 6000

Ta muchly :-)

Try a little brighter than a 1000k maybe 3000k youll get a worthwhile feel from them