Do Not Sell My Personal Information

strange noise when steering

emz

hi can anyone help me?

whenever i turn my steering wheel it makes a really bad whirring noise and the harder the urn the louder it is.

and also my car is also getting hard to start when it is cold.

it is a 98/99 t reg zetec

any ideas??

thanks

emily

Emma,

You never mentioned what engine your car has but my guess would be a loose/stretched power steering belt.

it is a 1.8

i have noticed that the power steering fluid has bubbles in it could that have anything to do with it?

it is a 1.8

i have noticed that the power steering fluid has bubbles in it could that have anything to do with it?

Sounds like the steering racks knackered. You're right about the bubbles. Sounds like airs getting sucked in indication of a steering rack leak.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the steering racks knackered. You're right about the bubbles. Sounds like airs getting sucked in indication of a steering rack leak.

[/quote/]

i have a 2000 zetec 1.8 petrol with similar problems, it whines like mad when turning and my power steering fluid is real low, could this be the same thing, i.e the steering rack leak?

Well it could be because your fluids really low. Top it up and see if the whine goes. If not it certainly will be yes.

Well it could be because your fluids really low. Top it up and see if the whine goes. If not it certainly will be yes.

took mine into a garage today and they said its the power steering pump thats nackered on mine, still need to top it up in the meantime