JennyUK

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: Jenny
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2011

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Did anyone watch the opening of the Olympics yesterday? I thought it went really well! :) Lot of people been complaining its a waste of money.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

It was pretty good but still a waste of money.
The only people who win are the companies who get the sponsorship rights and G4S who got nearly 300 million for doing bugger all.

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Sorry about the chirping but I'm knackered due to pulling too much overtime as all spare staff here have been pinched to support the security for the Olympics. (and I've torn a chest muscle wrestling with drunks that tried to kick my Police Dog last night) :(

#4 JennyUK

JennyUK

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: Jenny
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

What idiots! You don't try to kick a police dog! You both alright?

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

The dog is fine, she got a couple of bites in but I'm sore (may have a cracked rib but hey ho life goes on).
More war wounds to add to the long list :D

#6 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Fookin ell Clive they are idiots ain't they. Then I bet they claim police brutality or something after :mellow: at least she got some nice bites in ^_^

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

They were warned three times to step away so after that the dog was justified.
She is trained to defend me after all ;)

#8 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

They were warned three times to step away so after that the dog was justified.
She is trained to defend me after all ;)

Don't even warn em mate just tell her whether you want a leg or a wing ;)

#9 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka Edge
  • Year: 2012

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I used to help clean out the RAF Police dogs in the early '60s at RAF North Luffenham a Thor Balistic Missile site in Rutland. The dogs were huge more like small ponies but they got used to us but we darnt touch them.

#10 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,666 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Jees, glad you's are ok.

And yup I watched it. Thought it was amazing. Especially loved the little laughs too like the Queen with 007, and Mr Bean.

#proudtobebritish

:D

#11 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I used to help clean out the RAF Police dogs in the early '60s at RAF North Luffenham a Thor Balistic Missile site in Rutland. The dogs were huge more like small ponies but they got used to us but we darnt touch them.

RAFP dogs always were a bit of a mutant breed.
I used to work alongside them doing nuclear security and the dogs looked like the offspring of the hound of the Baskerville.

#12 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Never watched it and don't intend to.

To be perfectly honest, I'm sick to death of governments, monarchs and everybody else trying to shove things down my throat. From royal weddings, through jubilees to the olympics this year... trying to force THEIR brand of joy, happiness, celebration and "pride in being British" on me with MY tax money.

I'm always very suspicious when the powers that be go to such lengths to force us to celebrate, as if trying to distract us from something rather heinous.

So these days I just take a complete aversion when I sense the next hyper-expensive bullshit distraction being concocted by the media, etc.

If I were to see opening ceremony fireworks, etc, I'll be unable not to visualise it as tax money being blown to smithereens... and I resent paying tax at the best of times. All I know is that I'll probably work all my life and my total earnings (let alone my tax) will never be enough to cover even the smallest fraction of this wasteful expenditure.

Cynical, yes. But that's me.

#13 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,401 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Never watched it and don't intend to.

To be perfectly honest, I'm sick to death of governments, monarchs and everybody else trying to shove things down my throat. From royal weddings, through jubilees to the olympics this year... trying to force THEIR brand of joy, happiness, celebration and "pride in being British" on me with MY tax money.

I'm always very suspicious when the powers the be go to such lengths to force us to celebrate, as if trying to distract us from something rather heinous.

So these days I just take a complete aversion when I sense the next hyper-expensive bullshit distraction being concocted by the media, etc.

If I were to see opening ceremony fireworks, etc, I'll be unable not to visualise is at tax money being blown to smithereens... and I resent paying tax at the best of times. All I know is that I'll probably work all my life and my total earnings (let alone my tax) will never be enough to cover even the smallest fraction of this wasteful expenditure.

Cynical, yes. But that's me.

Seconded!

#14 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,666 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Well you either accept it and make the best of the situation and enjoy yourself with your friends and family etc, or moan about it and miss out. Personally, I choose the first option.

#15 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Well you either accept it and make the best of the situation and enjoy yourself with your friends and family etc, or moan about it and miss out. Personally, I choose the first option.

You say that as if you can choose to enjoy something that you genuinely don't enjoy... which is pretty much the same line the media and/or governments take. It's not really "missing out" if you don't enjoy it in the first place.

Basically just saying "either you like what we like and celebrate the way we want you to celebrate, or you're just a moany old c*** and nobody likes you. Oh, and just to rub salt in your wound - even if you hate it, we're still going to pay for it with your money". Mature. Real mature.

I don't see why we can't just treat the olympics, royal weddings and jubilees the way we treat anything else. If you like it, then choose to engage with it, if you don't like it, then choose not to, and it will be funded by ticket sales, sponsorship deals and viewing figures from the people that do want to engage. But no... rather than having it be nice and civil like that, it's more about creating a sense of hostility towards people who don't want to engage and funding the whole mess with their money, when I'm sure most of them would much rather see it spent elsewhere.

I love to go to concerts, for example, but I don't get in people's faces when they say they don't enjoy the bands I go to see and I certainly don't ask them to subsidise the show for me.

I guess I just don't understand the urge to have EVERYBODY get involved and enjoy it, even if they don't necessarily want to.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users