Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,829 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

In my third year as an apprentice engineer (1965) a Pakistani painter fell into the Lister green paint bath/dip. He was covered from head to toe in light green agricultural paint. They walked him up the road to the hospital with a one gallon tin of paint thinners. For the next twelve months his footprints were still visible on the pavement to the Hospital. Health and safety wernt invented in those days. He made a full recovery and bought a MK1 Lotus Cortina a few months later. Cant remember his name but he had a good laugh about it.

Was it the incredible Hulk?
now everytime he gets mad,
his blood preisure rises and more of the green paint comes out??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 k13r4n

k13r4n

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 712 posts
  • Name: kieran
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Okay guys I have fell through a roof at my work was up putting s sign onto a stepped part of the roof and walked back and fore fine went to wipe down the sign then boom through the roof that had a rotten patch where I stood I managed to stop myself by placing arms out and caught my self rolled backwards and back down the ladder to go and tell the customer I just made a Kieran size hole in the roof went inside to find I had gone through a light fitting and bulb which thankfully wasn't on but my work seemed to only see the funny side of this (me being a bigger guy) but luckily I wasn't hurt.

#18 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Name: D
  • Ford Model: MK3 Focus Titanium x
  • Year: 2012

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

My work doesn't have anything just a accident book but to date still nothing added even when I put a screw driver into the skin between my thumb and first finger creating a nice deep puncture wound, I went white after about half hour holding some paper towel on it and I was also running the joint at the same time, got away with just a dressing and no need for tetanus.

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,076 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Even a splinter or paper cut should an recorded.
It's there to cover you and in the case of complications or related absence you have a documented occurrence.

#20 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

We are not a big company and 9 out of 10 times if you hurt ya self it's our own fault for doing something we shouldn't.

#21 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
Contributor

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

What the company should be doing is making Standard Operating Procedures and Risk Assessments , to stop any operator making mistakes, or to at least try and stop an operator making errors.the long and short of it is if a bad accident occurs usually the Small company will go to the wall and the Boss will end up with a very large fine or jail.

#22 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

All my lads know that if they hurt them selves they will get laughed at and told to be a man and get on with it, most things that happen are grazed knuckles undoing tight bolts.

#23 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,076 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Health and safety is everyone's responsibility.
It's stupid to laugh off injuries.
If the HSE finds out that an accident book is not maintained and any activity likely to have a level of risk is not accessed then the company will be prosecuted and fined.
A scratch for you from a tool or machine today if not reported and rectified could be your oppo's hand or eye.
Not worth your job I'd say.

#24 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,989 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

As Stoney said, you have to be careful. If any accident that is not reported to First Aider's and written into the accident book turns bad (lets say grazed knuckle, becomes infected, patient is given antibiotics which they have an allergic reaction to and suffer something pretty serious as a result), and the company did not log the incident, then a fine is the least of your worries, prosecution is almost a guarantee.

By all means laugh at them after writing it up, but its the superiors who start to get their head bitten by their bosses when they are being bitten by the HSE!!

Even papercuts need to be written up for that very reason! plus, if someone takes a slight cut, and they have an unknown blood condition such as anoemia, and they continue to bleed and suffer the consequences, not only are you looking at a fine, but someone potentially could end up going to prison, if nothing else (worst case scenario from complications) causing death by failure to abide by HSE regulations...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users