• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

I may have mentioned this before, but the Zetec S interior lights are pants!

To add insult to injury, I also have no wiring for the foot-well lights.
So as part of an on-going interior light upgrade, I decided to wire my own.
This guide is primarily for the Mk7 Fiesta but could be adapted for any car.

I got the bulb holders from a certain auction website which fit neatly into the holes provided by Ford.
I took the power feed from the roof courtesy light centre bulb so that the foot-well lights come on with the courtesy light but can also operate on demand by switching on the roof light. This suites my requirements as I have no intention of having them on whilst driving, but can manually switch all interior lights on with just one switch.

To connect my new power feed I soldered the wires directly to the light cluster. I also used a small plug and socket (usually found inside a television) so that my circuit can be disconnected if I need to remove the light unit in the future. I could have used some crimp on male/female terminals or a choc block type connector, or even attached the wires directly to the bulb holder.

Anyway, here is the guide:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have purposely made this project expandable and the next project is going to be to improve the lighting for the rear seat passengers.
Watch this space!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Name: d
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Style+
  • Year: 2009

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Good guide,like the comic style piccies B)

#3 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

I mentioned in the guide that I had made this project expandable, so here is the first wave of expansion...

Firstly a different approach to courtesy roof lighting...

Posted Image

and a new invention of mine to illuminate the rear footwells...

Posted Image

Yes, illuminated floor mats. Keeps the kids amused anyway!

#4 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I mentioned in the guide that I had made this project expandable, so here is the first wave of expansion...

Yes, illuminated floor mats. Keeps the kids amused anyway!

Lol that's great!

#5 Bladerunner

Bladerunner

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: Martin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 tdci 5 door

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi tunne1rat,
All your light mods look good to say the least.
Are you going to elaborate how you did the rear led mat edges with another great style guide.
Cheers

#6 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
I haven't done a guide for the mats etc as there is no magic involved. The product used is Electroluminescent wire (also know as EL or Neon wire). The secret is to get the stuff with a stitching tab such as this: http://www.elwirecra...p-3-50-a-metre/

The wire needs a small 12v inverter to work, but uses very little current - so no danger of overloading your existing lighting circuits.
The wire can be cut, but re-joining it requires some very fine soldering skills.
For the mats I simply glued the stitching tab of the EL wire to the edge of the mats and for the headlining I used a fine strip of self adhesive velcro tape stuck to the stitching tab so that the velcro sticks to the headlining and holds the wire between the headlining and door seal.
I have been playing with EL wire for many years and never get bored. Much more fun than LED's.

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,728 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

That stuff is amazing.
Lenny, stop drooling. :P

#8 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,426 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

That stuff is amazing.
Lenny, stop drooling. :P

Posted ImagePosted Image
it does look very cool,
i really like the job done on the roof very Tron. it would look good on the door cards too.
i purchased a battery powered pack of this before in yellow for my daughter who dressed up as rapunzel for Haloween and anyine who ever watched the film will see that her hair glows yellow when brushed.
but i never thought of fitting it to the car though. it does look good and very efficent due to each strip being fed from a single led illuminating along the fibre optic cable.

#9 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi Lenny although I am aware that safe low voltage LED/fibre optic lights exist, this is not what this product is. In fact nothing could be further from the truth as this wire needs around 200v ac just to get it glowing, and rather than having a single light source at the end, the whole length of the wire glows due to a central copper core being coated in a phosphoric layer which emits light particles (photons) when high voltage alternating current passes through it. The amount of current you need is dependant on the length of wire.
This means any cut ends or bare wires have to be properly insulated. I accidentally touched a bare end once and I won't be doing that again in a hurry. Sew this wire into your underpants at your own risk.
A micro 12v inverter can be hidden under headlining or behind a panel and can drive up to 5m of EL wire.

#10 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,426 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi Lenny although I am aware that safe low voltage LED/fibre optic lights exist,
this is not what this product is.
In fact nothing could be further from the truth as this wire needs around 200v ac just to get it glowing,
and rather than having a single light source at the end,
the whole length of the wire glows due to a central copper core being coated in a phosphoric layer which emits light particles (photons) when high voltage alternating current passes through it.
The amount of current you need is dependant on the length of wire.
This means any cut ends or bare wires have to be properly insulated.
I accidentally touched a bare end once and I won't be doing that again in a hurry. Sew this wire into your underpants at your own risk.
A micro 12v inverter can be hidden under headlining or behind a panel and can drive up to 5m of EL wire.

I assumed it was fibre optic cable due to it being fitted to a 12v source. i didnt think it would have an inverter fitted to power it,

#11 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

I have now upgraded my interior light to the one with map lights and wired the submarine lights to come on with the dash illumination.

Posted Image

Just need to order some brighter LED bulbs now.
Also a big thank you to Hell_Bunny_sXe for sending me his spare light unit!

#12 Rain

Rain

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 98 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.25 Edge

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thank you for the tutorial. Even though I have the footwell light holders and even have the wiring, mine are simply not working. I suppose they have been programmed out or something.. So I will have to do it myself.

Posted Image

Could you please elaborate how you achieved this kind of outcome as above. What products did you use and what method was required. I'm bit puzzled of how one would achieve something like this. Could this also be done in red or in any other colour? Though I have to admit that this light blue is simply awesome.

#13 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Sorry for the delay, I have not been around much.
The EL wire I used has a built in stitching tab running the length of the wire. For the floor mats, the tab was simply glued to the edge of the mats. For the roof, some fine strips of Velcro were cut and glued to the EL wire stitching tab. This Velcro'd tab was then pushed between the headlining and door seal and grips to the headlining via the Velcro and can be easily removed/replaced if necessary.
An EL inverter was then hidden in the A pillar.

#14 Rain

Rain

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 98 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.25 Edge

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Cheers Tunnelrats. This information is much appreciated.

#15 123yahyaa

123yahyaa

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name: yahyaa
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec 1.4 3dr
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.
I haven't done a guide for the mats etc as there is no magic involved. The product used is Electroluminescent wire (also know as EL or Neon wire). The secret is to get the stuff with a stitching tab such as this: http://www.elwirecra...p-3-50-a-metre/

The wire needs a small 12v inverter to work, but uses very little current - so no danger of overloading your existing lighting circuits.
The wire can be cut, but re-joining it requires some very fine soldering skills.
For the mats I simply glued the stitching tab of the EL wire to the edge of the mats and for the headlining I used a fine strip of self adhesive velcro tape stuck to the stitching tab so that the velcro sticks to the headlining and holds the wire between the headlining and door seal.
I have been playing with EL wire for many years and never get bored. Much more fun than LED's.

hey there, do you happen to have a wiring diagram of how the footwell lights are installed?
looking to add this amazing el wire you have enlightened me on, would like them to come on with the footwell lights

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users