#1 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 57 1.6 ghia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi Folks,

Just been looking through the forum at some of the cool things people have done with their "foci" on here!

I have a mk2 57 focus ghia 1.6 petrol, just before the facelift came out.

I have done some searching and can't find out whether it is possible to first of all replace my instrument cluster with the 2008 facelift one (silver trims)
Ebay link below! It says on the page it is compatible but mine is the 115bhp and that isn't specified. Has anyone already done this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk

Also I like the look of the newer centre console (like lennys!) with the 12v socket behind the gearstick. Is this a mod that can be done or is it a different size or something? Also is the wiring already there for the socket?

Thanks in advance for the help and keep up the good work!

Jonny

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,725 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi, reference the cluster- I really don't know if it's compatible, I'm sure someone with a definitive answer will pop up.
Concerning the console, I'm pretty sure it's interchangeable, I have looked into it myself.
The 12v socket is easy to move, just access the original socket location in the cubby and either move it completely or patch off the cables and fit a second one.
I recently fitted a cubby ashtray unit(referred to on this forum as a garage door) and needed to move the 12v socket forward into the ashtray unit.
If you want to keep two sockets and have the ashtray fitted then all good, if you have the tray fitted but only want the one socket in the console then the best option to cover the old hole is get hold of a tray from a mk2.5 as it has no 12v socket and will tidy the cubby up.

#3 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hi, reference the cluster- I really don't know if it's compatible, I'm sure someone with a definitive answer will pop up.
Concerning the console, I'm pretty sure it's interchangeable, I have looked into it myself.
The 12v socket is easy to move, just access the original socket location in the cubby and either move it completely or patch off the cables and fit a second one.
I recently fitted a cubby ashtray unit(referred to on this forum as a garage door) and needed to move the 12v socket forward into the ashtray unit.
If you want to keep two sockets and have the ashtray fitted then all good, if you have the tray fitted but only want the one socket in the console then the best option to cover the old hole is get hold of a tray from a mk2.5 as it has no 12v socket and will tidy the cubby up.

thanks for the reply!
I've been looking for the cubby ashtrays! Where did you get yours from?
Sounds like a relatively simple mod then. Is there anything that provides a 12v to the back seats or is this a self mod job? The real reason for fitting the second one is for the kids DVD player. Really incovenient having the wires dragged from the front. Also want to keep the one in the "cubby" for my phone charger or sat nav.
Just checking your sig, i saw the 12v boot mod in the "how to" section. was it as easy on the mk2? i.e. is the wire already there?

Hopefully will get a for sure answer with the cluster cos they look sweet and not too expensive!

#4 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

You can simply link the cables to the front 12v and place a socket in the back of the centre console.

The Cluster is not a straight swap , you would find most things would work but i'm sure it has to be coded to the car , there is a post somewhere on here regarding it.

The centre console if you can get one on Ebay , will be a straight swap , just make sure you get all the bits with it.

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

the dials are compatable however they need to be activated and programmed at ford i couldnt find a single one round my way who would even touch it and again the majority of dealers elsewhere wont touch it and if they do they insist on digital mileage correction at £150 the programming and fitting of the cluster and new software £175 labour standard rates at the garage usually £90 for the 2 hours add the cost of the cluster and you see why theres no point add to that all the features will not work . tampering with the mileage is something few garages want to do hence why many insist on the fitting and the mileage correction . rear 12v wires are all there as in the how to guides easy mod to do

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,725 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Ashtrays do pop up on eBay from time to time but are not usually cheap unless you are lucky.
As I said, there are 2 types, one for the mk2 with a place to relocate the 12v further forward or the one for the mk2.5 that is just a smooth cubby without the socket location (no problem if fitted to a mk2 as people just make a neat hole at the back and leave the 12v in it's original location.)
It's easy enough to put a 12v in the rear of the console, just patch off the original one in the dash and as long as you don't overload the amps you will be fine.
The 12v in the boot is a doddle, there is a spare 12v live feed taped up in the boot behind the boot liner, you just need to run an earth to the car body (plenty of screws to put a ring crimp to).
For the definitive guide search the forum for posts from 'Lenny', he has a how to guide at the base of all his content and is also a great source of info concerning bits needed and availability.

#7 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

the dials are compatable however they need to be activated and programmed at ford i couldnt find a single one round my way who would even touch it and again the majority of dealers elsewhere wont touch it and if they do they insist on digital mileage correction at £150 the programming and fitting of the cluster and new software £175 labour standard rates at the garage usually £90 for the 2 hours add the cost of the cluster and you see why theres no point add to that all the features will not work . tampering with the mileage is something few garages want to do hence why many insist on the fitting and the mileage correction . rear 12v wires are all there as in the how to guides easy mod to do

Devastated! I thought all the info would be on the ecu and the dials are simply a "readout" so just plug and play!
Looks like custom heater dials, new 12v sockets, possibly new centre console and new dvd hu will have to do for now!
Thanks

#8 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,725 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

It would appear my signature has possibly given you a bit of inspiration, if there is anything else there that you find useful or tempting, I'm on here quite regularly and am only too pleased to help if needed.

#9 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

It would appear my signature has possibly given you a bit of inspiration, if there is anything else there that you find useful or tempting, I'm on here quite regularly and am only too pleased to help if needed.

It certainly has, I saw the heater dials on ebay a couple of weeks ago but was worried about the quality but it seems like they are quite popular.
Might just use your sig as my new check list! lol
Not an led fan though so they might be skipped! ;-)
Thanks again, great forum, fantastic members

#10 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,725 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Even if you're not an led fan I can recommend a Q5 reverse light bulb aS it makes reversing in dark areas much easier.
I decided on led bulbs for everything but indicators (led bulbs tend to flash too fast unless resistors are also fitted) and headlight/sidelight bulbs.
For indicator bulbs a lot change them for silvertec bulbs as it gets rid of the orange tint in the bulb housing (detangoing as its called).

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

definately not plug and play im afraid

#12 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

In case anyone cares, I have done some more research regarding the cluster change and in the ELM how to thread it says it is possible but only if you can get a dealer to recode your keys to the new cluster. I have contacted my local ford garage and he said "I've never done it before but it should be quite easy!"
In conclusion he said if it was as straight forward as it sounds they will charge £55....job done! Now its a case of getting the ELM stuff and a new cluster!

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

it would be interesting my dealer had tried it once and it wouldnt work leaving them with a big headache hence why they wont touch it now as they said the car was unmoveable so they gave the guy a loan of a car to go home and get the old cluster so they could recode that one it looks simple but half the stuff if successful wont work

#14 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

What stuff do you think won't work?
If I get one sorted I will fit it to the car to see what works and what doesn't. The risk is that I pay for the cluster but then I can just resell it. As far as I am aware most of the options can be enabled using the ELM method. If the features work then I pay them to recode. Surely if it goes wrong it is just a case of putting the old one back in?
They must have a procedure for if a cluster is actually faulty.

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

yeah they put the old one back in if it doesnt work spoke to a guy round my way who has coded one before you should get the display working he said as he did it

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk2, instrument cluster, centre console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users