Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Getting A 2008 Focus..

talksy

Hi there, I am thinking of trading in my 2005 vecta for a 2008 Focus. I have seen a nice one on this local dealership site:

http://www.perrys.co.uk/ford-focus-1.6-tdci-style-5-door/used-car-38939-22616043#

Can anyone tell me if this is a good model to go for and any issues with this age of car you may have experienced so I know what to look for?

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

Looks good mate, only thing you may get issues with is the car will have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which some owners do have issues with.

Best thing to do is have a good look over it in person to check for any problems and definitely give it a test drive.

As the 1.6 is a Peugeot engine they can have problems with turbo failure.

Above all be lead by what you see and make sure it has everything you want.

given the price of diesel and the not so great mpg coupled with diesel issues ie turbos i wouldnt buy a diesel it really isnt worth it anymore bear in mind most newer petrols do better mpg than diesels. the diesel heads may disagree but youll pay more because its a diesel and remember those pug engines are the same as the ford units

I've got a 58 plate zetec with this engine. Love the car, I personally prefer how diesels drive. No issues from my DPF so far. MPG wise, with the main use being short trips to abs from work and the odd trip down the motorway my last tank got 58mpg (measured by brimming the tank).

All depends on your personal needs, I can see how a petrol would make more sense for some people.

This reminds me of the old Windows vs Mac argument. Annoying when people only see their own view.

Car looks nice , regarding the Diesel , check service history for DPF eloys top up has taken place and regular servicing.

Your annual mileage will tell you if you will get any benefits from a Diesel

My Petrol 1.6 as i do short runs is diabolical mph seeing as its only 2 tears old , but i would not have gained by having a Diesel due to my mileage.

I got better mph out of an 1.8 Sport Astra that the Focus replaced.

But other than that they are fantastic cars and i would not swap it to gain a few MPH

ive had both diesel and petrol so its not about my own view simple facts and im being honest if you do a lot of miles or towing then the diesel is the best option though you do pay more to buy a diesel than the equivelant petrol add to that diesel is getting way more expensive round my way up to 11p per litre dearer

.diesels can cost more to run if you do under 15k a year just in fuel alone i get doing similar to above 43mpg from a 1.6 petrol ti vct never less than 36mpg in heavy town driving if i bought petrol to the amount ide pay for diesel i wouldnt be far off that mpg but down the motorways the diesel would easily do more.

theres so many posts where people buy diesel and get what they think is poor mpg so info like this helps around town in built up areas a lot of stop start in traffic the diesel is not the right choice if you do a lot of motorway and long trips it is. just be aware as said of the dpf issue and its not uncommon to replace the turbo just dont let youre heart rule youre head mate both have there place depending on youre needs

Personally wouldnt go for a style as its very basic, maybe better off going for a Zetec for a few extra features and sport suspension. With the petrol diesel argument I do about 12000 miles a year and average about 40 mpg in my 1.6 Ti VCT petrol. this engine is only avaliable in the Zetec S from 08 onwards. The standard 1.6 petrol will get slightly less. With a diesel I would go with the 1.8 as no dpf and much better reviews from the guys here :)

Hope car shopping goes well for you mate

As the 1.6 is a Peugeot engine they can have problems with turbo failure.

As far as I am aware, the dreaded turbo failure was rectified on the mk2.5 models 2008 onwards. Lots of info on this if you poke about.

I think that if you were to get the Focus Style you would be disappointed, after a short time you would wish you had gone for a better speced model.

Petrol or diesel choice should be guided by your annual mileage.

zetec at the minimum preferably you want a zetec climate or higher spec

I have a style model and isnt as bad as seems. I have petrol and runs good as anything. Modding up is easy too. There is loads that i have done to mine, Here have a look,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/33371-my-car-just-recently-started-to-improve-the-looks-heres-what-ive-done-so-far-any-other-ideas-what-i-can-do-will-be-appreciated/

Hope this helps.

Regarding turbo failure, my sister had a 2005 focus with the 90bhp version of the engine, turbo went at 120,000. The girlfriends Dad has a 2006 110bhp focus, not sure on exact mileage, around 80,000 maybe. No turbo failure so far. As mine has only done 30,000 it's not really indicative of anything!

On the other hand a guy at work has a 2litre Audi TDI 140, done around 90k and just had his second turbo failure.

As others have said, ensuring the car has had regular oil changes is very important if it's a tdci.

Let us know what you decide!

Hi there,

Thanks for all of your helpful comments! I was shocked by the number.

I have taken in to consideration trim levels as some of you mentioned, I am now having a look at Zetecs or even Titaniums (although they are understandably quite a lot more).

Does anyone know if the DPF and Turbo problems are only limited to the 1.6 diesel? I am guessing from some of the other posts, in general, if it is a TDCI it does need to have a good history showing recent oil changes.

I do do quite high miles, around 30k per year, although this is set to gradually come down, so I feel a diesel would be the right choice for me. I have been a petrol user all of my life, so would be a real change for me.

Thanks again for all of your help guys

I had a Style Estate on an 09 plate before I changed it for the current one. I used to get 40 mpg out of the 1.6 petrol engine and the room in the boot was fantastic. However I did find myself bolting on loads of extras as it was quite basic. Thats why I chopped it in for the Sport in the end.

The 1.8 TDCi does not have a DPF.

No turbo engine is immune from turbo problems, but when I was researching which Focus to buy, I always got the impression the 1.6 suffered more.

This may have been as simple as improper maintenance - the 1.6 demands a very specific low SAP (sulphur, ash) oil - and if 'normal' oil is used I understand this makes the turbo problem far more common.

A full Ford dealer service history is a must, but there may even be an element of luck in it. I chose to go for the 1.8, and I love it.

If you do go for a 1.8 then bear in mind it's not quite as economical as the 1.6 (although your right foot is a massive factor here) and also noisier.

The 1.8 is a less modern engine but is a good solid, tried and tested Ford block.

It also responds the best to remapping and is generally considered bomb proof as long as you keep to regular servicing schedules.

I did my homework before buying my MK2 and all roads led me there.

Hmm, ok thanks again for all of your help.

I have come across another, slightly better 1.6 Focus. This time its 2009, and a Titanium.

Hopefully the link will work..

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium 5dr 110PS 2009

http://www.autotrade...89252?logcode=p

This time, it appears not to have DPF. I asked the sales man if he knew much about the issues mentioned on this forum (dpf and turbo issues) and he said they were very few and far between on these newer models, although he would hardly say they were plauged with troubles, being a sales person!

This one has very low mileage and is from an official Ford dealership. It is also more money, almost £10k but he said he thinks he could offer me £2k on my part x which is a good offer.

Nice car and has got the appearance pack as well by looks of it. Thats the right price for a main dealer with that mileage and year. Its really down to what they will give you for yours.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium 5dr 110PS 2009

This time, it appears not to have DPF. I asked the sales man if he knew much about the issues mentioned on this forum (dpf and turbo issues) and he said they were very few and far between on these newer models, although he would hardly say they were plauged with troubles, being a sales person!

This one has very low mileage and is from an official Ford dealership. It is also more money, almost £10k but he said he thinks he could offer me £2k on my part x which is a good offer.

looks good mate,

cruise control can easily be added by changing the steering wheel if you wanted to fit it,

and the rest of the car looks good, i have the same engine in my 2010 and it does have a DPF fitted,

i have 43,496miles on mine now and just had its 3rd service at 38,000 no DPF trouble or any trouble except for the rubber hose above the boot rubbing off the body which is a common fault in all mk2 and mk2.5 models.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for all of your helpful points. I have found a 2009 1.8 diesel focus at my local garage. It has the sports appearance pack and does not have a DPF! Just to confirm, does this mean it will not need any exhaust filter changes as it won't have anything filtering the emissions? In general, from what I understand, I am better if I can to get a Focus diesel without a DPF. But as with any diesel, I need to make sure it has been serviced at the right times.

It is a very nice car and I am hoping to get it for £6k with 2k part x.

It has only 24k on the clock and comes with tinted windows and different alloys (must be part of sports pack).

Looking to give it a test drive tomorrow. Any tips or opinions would be greatly received!

Absolutely right, no dpf so no hassle there.

Take it for a test drive and try to get the grin off your face in less than an hour.

Hi, that is perfect news! Yes, apparently, it does not have a lynx engine or something.

Test drive booked at 12. Hopefully I have everything covered regarding questions to ask. Just need to try and get it for 6grand with my part ex and hopefully get some extra warranty.