Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Cambelt Broke - Only 92K

Mirob

Hi,

I have an 06 2.0 tdci Focus with 92K on the clock. 2 weeks ago it slipped a few teeth, didn't snap, and basically demolished the head. After a repair of £1,640.00 it's on the road. My question is because Ford recommend the cambelt be changed at 120K or 10 years, is there any recourse against them?

Hmm... if you've used Ford approved servicing for the duration of the life of the vehicle at all the recommended checkpoints, then you might have.

Otherwise they can turn around and say that it wouldn't have happened if you had serviced it in an approved manner at the right intervals, or that any impending failure would have been spotted at a service.

old argument the tensioner likely went causing the belt to slip ford gaurantee and recomend the belt at 100k not the tensioner however this should be checked at the service. you could try and argue it out but as said if ford havent serviced it they could argue the independant didnt check the tensioner this is why everyone except ford recommends it be 6yrs 60-70k miles and so do i

Ford customer service is poor so I doubt the will contribute anything tbh. Even with a full ford service history, I can't see them guaranteeing the belt to last 100k

120k miles is ridiculous on my opinion for a timing belt. 60k more like..

i qoute this from the jennings ford dealers website when asked on the cost of a cambelt change.....The cost of a timing belt replacement is £260 this includes parts labour and VAT, this part would then be covered under warranty until the next specified change of the belt ....and regarding a fiesta the timing belt should be replaced at 100,000 miles or 10 years and will cost approx £220.00 this repair would be covered under warranty for 12 months but if a failure is reported before the next specified change and provided it is down to the belt or tensioner Ford would normaly assist.

i was also told the same when i had my belt done at the dealers given it failed on youres way before the specified interval then ford should assist time to make some calls to ford.

not that it helps much but the haynes manual points out that although ford specify 100,000 miles, they advise to change it at 60,000

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Ive just had my cambelt fixed today will be ready tomorrow. Cost me £260 fitted. The tension mec broke and ceased up my belt was okay but because of the idle i was told. Ie tension mec ceased up it would of cost me over a grand to fix if id of driven it any further. My friend who has fixed it said they can go at funny times. Its irrevelent mileage its when they are dead basically. Mine has gone at 80,000. Said it should have been done at 75,000. And my ford is 10 years old.. i ask about a ruff time to be done and he said around 70.000 and depends how much u have driven your car.

Will

if you have got away with just putting a belt and new tensioner on it you have been VERY lucky. the belt snapping or tensioner failing even at low rpm, 99 times out of 100 there will be damage

My car had 62k on the clock / was 5 years old when I bought it last year. I got the cambelt changed before I picked it up.

The dealer was servicing it anyway as part of the deal (was due at 62.5k) so I gave him an extra £100 to do the cambelt at the same time. Seemed like the sensible thing to do, even thought it wasn't due.

A friend at work has just had the cambelt go on their Hyundai i30. 3 years old (with a 5 year warranty) and 70k miles in the clock. but in all that time / distance they've only had it serviced once.

Yes, once.

So the warranty isn't valid and they have to pay £1200.

Cambelt changes may seem costly, but perhaps we should see them as an investment rather than an expense, because the alternative is worse. It's something that I'm personally not prepared to gamble on.

its the first thing ive had done on any car even if they say its been done as you say its not worth the hassle

I'm quite a way off but will most certainly be heeding the advice in this thread! Thanks guys!

My car had 62k on the clock / was 5 years old when I bought it last year. I got the cambelt changed before I picked it up.

The dealer was servicing it anyway as part of the deal (was due at 62.5k) so I gave him an extra £100 to do the cambelt at the same time. Seemed like the sensible thing to do, even thought it wasn't due.

A friend at work has just had the cambelt go on their Hyundai i30. 3 years old (with a 5 year warranty) and 70k miles in the clock. but in all that time / distance they've only had it serviced once.

Yes, once.

So the warranty isn't valid and they have to pay £1200.

Cambelt changes may seem costly, but perhaps we should see them as an investment rather than an expense, because the alternative is worse. It's something that I'm personally not prepared to gamble on.

That is !Removed! shocking id be making hyundi pay every bit lol.

You are so right pitmonster it certianly is an investmant as on any car and even worse on fords if it snapss boom £1200 pounds please. Lol cant beleive on a 3 year old car tho wow

Will

Bear in mind that the car should have been serviced 6 or 7 times during those 70,000 miles, but by the owner's admission it was serviced just once.

3 years doesn't seem much, but it's very high mileage for a car of that age, and many manufacturers say the belt should be changed at 60k.

As with any manufacturer, Hyundai has no liability if the correct service schedules are not followed.

Hi all going back to the 80s i had a xr3i cambelt go on me car was 4yrs old at the time and covered 43k fortunately under warranty,a good lesson early on so always a priority for me to.

Hi all. Ive just had my cambelt fixed today will be ready tomorrow. Cost me £260 fitted. The tension mec broke and ceased up my belt was okay but because of the idle i was told. Ie tension mec ceased up it would of cost me over a grand to fix if id of driven it any further. My friend who has fixed it said they can go at funny times. Its irrevelent mileage its when they are dead basically. Mine has gone at 80,000. Said it should have been done at 75,000. And my ford is 10 years old.. i ask about a ruff time to be done and he said around 70.000 and depends how much u have driven your car.

Will

SO finally got my car back. Cost be 500 in the end. Needed a water pump and a tension mec all belts anti roll bar bushes too.. if anyone is new to ford and hasnt had theres done get it done now. My m8 who is a ford spec. Says do it at 60 to 70000 depending on if u do long or short trips.

Also before my car rank full and was power less. What a transformation 500 pounds got me lol.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I got a mk1 1.8 and the tensioner went on mine causing a bill of £950 n 8 bent rods. That was at 94000 miles. Id just bought it and it happened 4 hrs later. There was a squeak and it was basically ignored.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club