Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Estate Over Revving.

Sierra Charlie

Hi,

I`ve recently joined this forum and I apologise in advance if anyone if offended or annoyed if this topic has already been covered or mentioned previously.

I`ve recently accquired a W Regn Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Estate, I drove it home from the place of purchase, a distance of about 40 miles, and found on about three ocassions that the car would suddenly incease the revs upto about 4000rpm. It appeared to do this whilst driving through towns when coming upto a junction or roundabout. I tried flicking the throttle pedal, pulling throttle pedal upwards without any success. The only way the revs seem to fade away would be to free wheel and dip the clutch, if I raised the clutch pedal too soon the revs would continue to rise again. Eventually the revs would die down and return to their normal 800 rpm idling.

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions on a possible cause and what would be needed to fix the problem.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.

I'd start by getting the throttle position sensor checked out.

Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Since I placed my original post I have done some more research and it appears you could be correct with your suggestion of Throttle Position Sensor, however, it seems equally probable that it could also be the Idle Control Valve. :wacko:

I suppose its a toss of the coin to decide which option to choose or maybe see which costs less to do and make that the first option.

Any advice on using pattern parts or genuine parts for these type of repairs?

You're always best buying new original parts as then you know it's working properly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club