Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Led Sidelights

jimrex

Seen a few people on here have upgraded to LED sidelights, but I've not yet seen a MK3 with them. Until now... bought a set on eBay and fitted them this evening.

Before, horrible yellowness:

gallery_29004_864_1134290.jpg

Now, nice crisp white lights:

gallery_29004_864_513298.jpg

gallery_29004_864_703362.jpg

The photos don't really do them justice to be honest, they do look really smart :) Didn't even have to remove the headlights (but I now have very grazed knuckles and fingers!). Now I just need whiter headlights to match!

I also bought LED rear lights but unfortunately they are too big for the holes in the back of the light units so they've got to go back :unsure:

Hello mate, a few of us have put the LEDs on the mk3 me being one, you might have to go back a few months of topics to find it but anyway, we found that the LEDs (had 5 LEDs pointing in different directions) within an few weeks/ a month say 4 would have gone out and the rest would flash leaving you looking like a police car (theres an up side haha) somebody said it was to do with the heat from the main bulbs. But keep me updated as they do look the bees knees when they first went in.

Yeh I had read that to be honest but thought I'd take the plunge, they weren't expensive. I'm gunna keep the originals in the boot so if they do let me down I can quickly pull them out!

I'm hoping they'll be okay, as you say they do look the part :)

First time I've actually been tempted to do this. Looks much cleaner

If they start playing up you can put them in the boot each side there is a bulb and they are the same lamp, don't know what they would look like at night as mine had a one way ticket to the bin.

IMG_1190.jpg

Done mine when i first got the car, massive difference

IMG_01601.jpg

Still working fine?? If so post a link to them could you buddy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-W5W-T10-501-LED-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-13SMD-/270791953969?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0c754e31#ht_2110wt_1271

they look like this mate, cant give you the exact link as my friend gave me them, but ive had them in around 3 months, but one or 2 of the LEDs have now stopped working or sometimes flash, but for the price and and how long they last cant really moan.

Ive ordered some more to :) should be coming any time this week. will post pictures once ive fitted them

that was me that mentioned the heat there are heat resistant leds but you would need the adaptor to bypass the canbus ive started using diamond white standard bulbs

ive started using diamond white standard bulbs

That'll be my next option if these fail I think :)

Alrite ravi do you ones have the 13SMDs on? Might explain why my 5SMD lamp didn't look as bright as yours

I spoke a bit soon... they're already playing up! Both light up when I unlock the car, and both work when I turn the sidelights on with and without just the ignition. When I then start the engine though, after about 5 seconds the driver's side one goes out and doesn't come back on, but the passenger side one stays lit as it should. God knows!

I had led side lights on my st they didn't last long, best option for led I found is the ones that basically look like normal 501 bulbs instead of buying the type with 4-5 small led's

that was me that mentioned the heat there are heat resistant leds but you would need the adaptor to bypass the canbus ive started using diamond white standard bulbs

mine are acting weird lol

mine are working fine now, before i fitted sub one or 2 leds were flashing

now there fine :D

dont know if this makes a difference

Alrite ravi do you ones have the 13SMDs on? Might explain why my 5SMD lamp didn't look as bright as yours

alright mate yeah these are the 13 smds, ive even ordered the 42 ones lol

the more l.e.ds usualy the faster they burn out the flicker is usualy the start beware when they start to go they get very hot you can even smell them burn sometime.

ive went back to extreme diamond white 501s as bright as the leds and last a lot lot longer the leds are okay for the rear lights and the number plates

Could you post a pic of them in light like this?

ill try a bit busy as i work niteshift

the more l.e.ds usualy the faster they burn out the flicker is usualy the start beware when they start to go they get very hot you can even smell them burn sometime.

ive went back to extreme diamond white 501s as bright as the leds and last a lot lot longer the leds are okay for the rear lights and the number plates

any chance of that photo mate? and a link?

Awesome thanks.

How long you had them? are they fairly bright and suitable?

6months or so they do what you expect them to do and match the hid look bulbs i have perfectly not that i use the sidelights much but they are far longer lasting than leds