Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

Brigante

The white collet you seek is behind the black rubber grommet you need to remove this first.

Tried this repair on my Focus Cmax 2004 tonight. Ordered 12" long nose pliers and 300mm screw driver even though I might have one some where! Dirt cheap off amazon and took advantage of my free Prime trial for next day delivery.

However, the pliers would not fit through the holes in the grille, I was luck in that I could still just manage to open the boot and removed the rubber stopper. I then close the bonnet and was able to get my screwdriver in above the cable on the white connecter as shown in the pics. However, when applying pressure and turning the key I heard no popping or clicking of it going back together.

If i turn the key down to the left I hear no mechanism same as before with lots of messing i can get it to open so far but turning to position 2 does not release the bonnet.

I must admit I was doing this on my own and it was getting dark, I'll have one more go tomorrow with my wife turning the key.

Anyone done this who lives in Cheshire and keen to assist?

Any other recommendations? If this doesn't work what's the next cheapest alternative?

Should your long thin screwdriver's head be going into one of the holes on the white piece and apply pressure?

Same as in these videos?

part1

part2

part3:

Nice find there Wayne!

Who can suggest a nice long thin cheap metal thing to get into one of the.holes?

My flat head screw driver.is too big and is it essential to get into one of the holes? I wire coat hanger is too bendy.

most flat head screwdrivers should do the job. I recently bought a set of long reach cross and flat head screwdrivers from "Family Bargains" (Part of the 99p family) for £1.99 I think. Looks like if I ever need it, it will do the job nicely!

A suitable length of threaded bar from a hardware shop should fit through the grille and give you suitable grip to push it.

Does it need to go into one of the holes? I'll have another go before setting off for the Lakes later today.

I dont think it needs to go in the holes, but if it helps you to grip the screwdriver in place, then its a good place to start!

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem with my Focus ls 08. To fix this problem for my car. all i had to do was reach up from under the car and clip in a white rod that connects the lock.

Some models have a hinged rod and some have a wire.

The wire type are the most problematic as any pressure applied from the side of the wire causes the tamper protection to kick in.

The rod type just tend to snap or unclip.

• 2 weeks later...

The images are not working. Is there a chance this post could be fixed please?

Unfortunately my photos have been viewed too many times this month so my image hosting account has reached it's bandwidth allowance. The free bandwidth allowance won't reset till the 4th May so my photos will be down until then.

If anyone would like to make a paypal donation to get my photos back up in the guides they are more than welcome to.

Thanks for getting back to me. Between my first post and your reply, I took the catch out the car and noticed the white plus shaped peg on the actual catch needs pressing back into the white socket on the cable with the lock. What happens though is the white plus bit sink back into the enclosed catch mechanism. Is it supposed to do this as it doesn't seem to protrude far out enough to reengage the female hole. Any ideas?

I have tried this guide with the screwdriver, is it just a case of keep persevering? Because as yet it is not working for me, screwdriver directly above the wire pressure applied by my husband and me turning the key! Nothing not even a click. Please give me some advice if you can.

Thank you,

Carol

Hi Carol,

It is a bit of a persistant effort, you often need to move the screwdriver around the collet at different points and push it back in, then eventually after you have pressed around and then press above the barrel area, it should then just pop.

either due to bandwidth or the pictures may have been moved to another folder.

I thought I could buy a new clip for a few pounds but I still can't get them to mate together and work properly. Anyone got any ideas?

e2azagyr.jpg

you do have to push pretty hard to get it to click back in, and also make sure everything is lined up properly. it can be very fiddley!

Spent about two hours sat in the garden today trying. It's as though I need to remove the white collet back to expose more of the female side.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I also had the bonnet not opening issue on my 2006 ford focus, try using your spare key it worked for me after a few attempts, once open I oiled the mechanism and it now works fine with both keys :0)

Hope this helps some of us who encounter the same problem.

Cheers.

Useful tip there Singh!

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, firstly thanks for this guide,

just been to get some fuel and thought may as well check oil/fluids and guess what, yep cant open my bonnet, so i have to get some long pliers and try this guide.

spoke to my garage and was told the lock/cable+ fitting will be £150++++ so i hope this will work

wish me luck

cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club