Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

Brigante

This thread has been a lifesaver!

I had a similar issue to the multiple posts on here however managed to break the spare key off in the lock when trying to open the bonnet!!

its all fixed now after a lot of cursing.

I had to:

• buy a replacement lock on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231473269045?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• build that up from scratch including the new barrel. Theres a 22min video on youtube that is fantastic.
  • failed to open up the bonnet by using the screwdriver and brute force method
  • Remove the stone guard and remove the 2 10mm bolts which took a lot of cursing and ive cut my hands to ribbons!!
  • knock the entire mechanism back gently into the engine bay (I aimed the outside left and right of the white collars)
  • gently lift the bonnet which might need a little force HOWEVER be careful to not wrench it fully open until you've disconnected the alarm connection
  • remove the old gear and refit the new lock wire to the original bonnet latch
  • refit it extra slowly making sure it works a billion times before closing the bonnet
  • refit the stone guard

Its working sweet as a nut now thank the lord!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

what do you do if your lock where you slide the key goes comes off from the mechnism and your left with a metal wire ????? help

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this a few times and just can not get it, I've pushed I've pulled above below to the left to the right etc but the only pop or click I have heard is me breaking louvres on the front grill, if there's anyone near Galway that can do this and is willing to help I'd be very grateful

hi need help i have just balls'd up putting new honeycomb grill on and cant get bonnet open, also as the help guide says need to but long screw driver above ford badge this type of grill cant get it above so what shall i do

Hi guys,

All of this seems great but when I look through my grille for the black boot, or white switch I cannot see anything, only the radiator. I have a 51 plate focus.

Am I looking in the wrong place??

Thanks.

Hi guys,

All of this seems great but when I look through my grille for the black boot, or white switch I cannot see anything, only the radiator. I have a 51 plate focus.

Am I looking in the wrong place??

Thanks.

If you follow the lock cable from lock backwards, you will find a rubber grommet and then a white cylindrical thing inside a cylinder.

Hi Micro,

Thanks for your reply, I currently cant even see the cable. I can just see a plastic block near the key mechanism and just beyond that the radiator. Do I need to look higher??

• 3 weeks later...

Ha so a few years ago I had this problem (Commented on the post early on...) and now the screwdriver method no longer works :(

Can't get my hand up to undo the bolts, and with brake fluid !Removed! out under the car I did this in desperation:

10356549_10152935188699290_185533824_n.j

Now what? ha!

I have a new grille on order, lock repair kit, and that retarded Bonnet Lock Catch Clip, but I need to get in my fecking bonnet!!!

HELP!!!! (Please!)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on here for info re the dreaded bonnet lock problem!

I tried tapping the white collet with a long screwdriver through the grille with no luck - I realised afterwards that the collet was already fully back and locked in its correct position, so that wasn't the fault in my case.

I then got under the car to unbolt the bonnet latch mechanism. I couldn't even see or get my hand far up enough to feel where these were, so undid the four bolts under the metal bracket holding the entire radiator/fan assembly which allowed that to all drop down a few inches.

That gave just enough clearance for one hand and a 10mm spanner up around the fan to reach the latch bolts. It was still incredibly tight and fingertip stuff (lots of dropping spanner in face and having to rest stiff arm/hand!) with only quarter spanner turns possible, but the bolts did eventually come out and then I was able to gently prise the whole latch mechanism loose and pull the bonnet up with that attached to it.

Happy days - saved £££ at the garage!!

Taking it all apart, the little white plastic cross-shaped connecting rod (Ford part number 4549268 - couple of quid from Ford dealer) had lost one of the lugs so as I turned the key the whole thing was actually turning correctly but as one of the lugs had snapped off it wasn't engaging with the bonnet latch mechanism so it wouldn't open.

The entire thing all feels so incredibly flimsy and fragile and badly designed with too many parts and connections that can too easily fail. Clearly everything should be solid, chunky metal rather than flimsy brittle plastic bits and pieces - am not impressed with Ford at all!

Good luck to anyone else who experiences this problem - try all of the above and you will get the bonnet open one way or another without having to smash, or even take off, the front grille - just allow plenty of time!

• 2 weeks later...

You can also take preventative action to stop this happening. By fitting a Jubilee clip around the white barrel to stop the inner cylinder popping out in the first place. Also when mine dislodged the female cross that engages was not in the position with the key needing to be in the upright position ( mine was slightly of to the right hand side). Also I did not have to push mine to hard to reinsert, so maybe worthwhile turning the key both ways while trying to push cylinder in.

Managed to get my bonnet open but need to replace bonnet catch and connecting assembly, expensive enough

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thought I would register and comment.

I own a Ford Focus mk2 - 2006. Not been able to open the bonnet for a couple of weeks now. Headlight bulb has gone. Anyway I tried the screw driver method and this failed. Not saying that it doesn't work, just didn't work for me.

Anyway I placed my long flat head screw driver between a gap in the grill and removed the gromit and exposed the White part. I went under the car and managed to put my hand up, infront of the fan and remove 2 10mm bolts.

The car was jacked up and on axels.

My hands are small I would say. As someone previously said. Quarter turns if you are lucky.

I didn't have to remove any indertray. That could be, coz it was missing.

After the bolts were removed. I inserted the screw driver onto the White part and hit it with the hammer. Expecting the lock just to fall through.

Well it didn't. I tugged on the bonnet a few times, after a few whacks. Slightly lifted the bonnet. But couldn't gain access.

Anyway, kept on whacking the White part, Untill the lock fell through. Still the bonnet didn't open.

I was just about to give up and take the car to the mechanic. I whacked it even harder and the actual lock and the cable fell out. I lifted the bonnet up and the latch and locking mechanism was attached.

There was no alarm wire attached to the lock on my car.

When the lock snapped off, it left a cross in the lock. I tried to remove the White cross, then I could put the flat end screwdriver in. To open in the future. Maybe I needed to dissemble it completely. I left the White cross in the lock and screwed it back in its original position. I put the screwdriver through the grill and put the flat side inbetween the White cross. It opened fine. Tried it a few times, just to make sure.

I didn't have to make an extra holes in my grill.

There is no lock in there now. Just opens with a flat end screwdriver.

This job took me 3 hours. That includes jacking the car, unscrewing bolts, whacking with screwdriver, tugging bonnet and putting back together.

The original post and the videos are helpful.

All in all, I lost skin around my wrists. Due to the right area to work in. Furthermore, arm ache.

Just remember. It takes times removing the bolts.

I am no mechanic and not a DIYer tbh. I sit behind a desk in an office.

• Like 1

a good result. Are you going to replace the system?

I was looking at one point to swap the bonnet release mechanism on my CMAX, I was looking at either a Fusion or a Mondeo lock, and then I was going to run the bonnet release into the engine bay.

As things started to get into play, I ended up having someone smash the car for me, got it repaired and sold it on so didnt get to complete the project.

Over a year since for me and I've just been driving around without a grille on then use a flat blade screw driver to open. Could never get the white cross to stay connected whilst I reassembled the grille so left it off.

3d405921b8c562d1e4c5295c3bb1af7d.jpg

Still got the lock in my door pocket :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

can i use this fix if the bonnet lock hasnt fully gone/ i can get in but takes about 6-7 attempts sometimes i wonder if there is a nack? any help appreciated

I didn't change the lock, howeveri bought a new latch. The new latch does not have te White part inside. So my flat end screwdriver fits perfectly into the cross.

If is taking you 6/7 attempts to get in, it will go soon.

i saw an update where it says to remove the splines will try this tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, firstly I need to say thanks to the people who have provided pictures and details.

My battery died on the car and I ordered a new one ready to fit for when I had the time to fit it.

When I went to unlock the bonnet nothing happened. What are the chance of this happening when the battery has gone I wonder! I realised I could get the left turn of the key working with some pressure on the bonnet. The right turn of the key wouldn't budge the lock. Anyway after reading through the comments I went to but the long screwdriver.

I hooked off the black rubber with the screwdriver. I then tried for a good half hour to no avail.

Gave it another go today and with the help of a neighbour managed to get it open!!

Persistence definitely payed off!! Changed the battery all good on that side of things!

Took the locking mechanism off to have a good mess around with it. The locks were pretty stiff. Lubed it and it helped a little. Turning the white plastic looking thing by hand the mechanism worked fine. Using the key it was working minimally at best.

So now what!? Buy the white gadget and try to re fit??

I didn't re fit the mech unit fearing I wouldn't get the bonnet open again. Turned it round and fitted it with one screw as no to lose it or affect the wiring. Have tied the bonnet down to the tow peg for now.

Any advice of what to do next would be great. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

OMG - ENDLESS THREADS FOR THE SAME ISSUE ON MANY WEBSITES

I'M A NEWBIE HERE SO MAY BE TALKING OUT OF TURN, BUT SURELY THIS IS CLEAR EVIDENCE OF THE MECHANISM NOT BEING FIT FOR PURPOSE AND PREMATURE FAILURE WITHIN THE INTENDED LIFE OF THE VEHICLE. COULD THIS CLUB SUPPORT A CAMPAIGN TO PERSUADE FORD TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX THIS ISSUE FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN STATUTORY RIGHTS, ELSE GO TO WATCHDOG!

The bonnet lock link bar is supposed to be hair trigger so as to prevent someone breaking into the car after disconnecting the battery.

There is an aftermarket bar available from eBay that will stop the problem though-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-Focus-C-Max-2004-2011-Bonnet-Lock-Catch-Cable-Clip-UPGRADE-PART-/281813703410?

Thanks for this awesome guide.

Had this trouble today,

Got bonnet open took lock mechanism out and put two self tapping screws in to stop the collet moving forward and back seems to have worked

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks very much for the guide. I've tried applying pressure in different places on the white plastic, whilst also applying pressure to the bonnet, but no luck.

Is there a guide to removing the catch mechanism from underneath the car? Or do I have any other options?

I've purchased this kit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ford-1343577-Bonnet-Lock-Repair/dp/B00ABK2OLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451062962&sr=8-1&keywords=ford+focus+bonnet

and a replacement grill, and I've already chopped out my existing grill for easy access.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie here, this lock thing is driving me round the bend, followed the guide but still no luck in getting the damn bonnet open, having to drive around with a bottle of water in the car as ive no screen wash fluid left :)
Anyone in the yorkshire area have a spare 30mins to show me how its done....pleaseeeeeeeee

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club