Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

Brigante

So there you go, my first guide. I hope it was as informative as it could be and not too boring. If it helps other people who find themselves in the same situation it will have been worth the read.

Excellent guide mate,

i may need this myself if i dont take due care and attention when changing my front upper grill.

• Like 1

Great guide and very help full to a lot of people who have been in this position.

Cheers lads.

Had a spare 5 minutes earlier lol so i darted outside and removed the slam panel to take a few quick snaps then come inside to type it up trying to be as detailed as I could.

My reasoning for doing this is when it happened to me I ended up driving the car around for close to a month without being able to open the bonnet so if I'd of broke down driving back from a night shift I'd have been screwed cause the AA wouldn't have even been able to get the bonnet open to jump start it or do anything to get it going again.

Searched all over google and couldn't find much detail on the matter, a few people mentioned a screwdriver through the grill, I tried it but it didn't work and again there wasn't much detail on what to do with it apart from stick it on the grill and push on the collet.

Found myself here seeking help, I got some great advice on the matter from the likes of yourselves but unless you experienced the problem yourself you wouldn't be able to advise on somthing you don't know much about.

I was determined not to smash my grill so I set about it again and kept at it till the bonnet popped and I found the bonafied angle to open it within seconds when you know how.

I found it strange how such a common problem (cause unless you know not to, anyone who has removed the grill for what ever reason, would have naturally let the barrel hang freely then found themselves in this situation when the key wouldn't open the catch to release the bonnet) wasn't discussed in more detail so that people would be able to find the answer easier.

Now if anyone comes to this forum looking for an answer they will find a guide telling them exactly what they have to do, so that they do not think they have to pay an extortionate fee to ford for a new grill and lock kit and having to smash they're perfectly good grill in when they didn't need to.

Read stories of people on google who took the problem to ford and the first thing they did is smash the grill in without even trying a screwdriver cause it's money straight in their pockets.

• Like 1

Thanks for this greatly!

A well known Scottish garage, whilst replacing my intercooler pipe, managed to dislodge the locking mechanism.

This guide has saved me so much arguing with them, and now it's all good!

PS - On mine, I had to remove the rubber gromit in front of the white thing which others may have to do.

Thanks for this greatly!

A well known Scottish garage, whilst replacing my intercooler pipe, managed to dislodge the locking mechanism.

PS - On mine, I had to remove the rubber gromit in front of the white thing which others may have to do.

Oops sorry mate I forgot about that, I never put the rubber gromit back on after fixing the first time so I forgot to take pictures of it when writing the guide. I'll take a snap tomorrow and add it, nice one for reminding me lol ;)

I'm pretty sure that the lock mechanism disconnecting is designed in as a tamper proofing measure.

I'm pretty sure that the lock mechanism disconnecting is designed in as a tamper proofing measure.

It is mate tried to explain that by this 'The idea is if a would-be thief tries to break into your bonnet, the connection behind the collet will separate rendering the lock mechanism useless and they will not be able to open the bonnet'

But no one seems to know about it, even some mechanics. So every time anyone has work done on they're car or changes the grill, or even sometime a little bump to the front will dis-lodge it so then when people go to open the bonnet they ain't got a clue why it's not opening, then they take it to a mechanic and even they don't know and end up smashing the grill.

There is obviously method in ford doing this but at the time it was a pretty poor work around and they did make it rather fragile and is flawed, I believe they came up with a new way for later models but don't take my word on that. I can go into more detail on this after I did some research a while ago but right now I'm absolutely shattered lol and I my head don't wanna work :(

Thanks for this greatly!

Guide now been updated with pictures mate, thanks for reminding me ;)

• 1 month later...

Great guide! Saved us a lot worry of woundering how we could get open the bonnet! After reading this guide we were in within5-10min!

Well explained and easy to follow!

THANK YOU :D

thanks brigante for a very informative reply, i am shore that it will be very helpfull for focus users, but it looks like the mondeo is differant, after all the hard work you put into the reply, i find it very hard to have to to have to say it,but thanks a million anyhow,

a very gratefull emlynkide

thanks brigante for a very informative reply, i am shore that it will be very helpfull for focus users, but it looks like the mondeo is differant, after all the hard work you put into the reply, i find it very hard to have to to have to say it,but thanks a million anyhow,

a very gratefull emlynkide

Thoughtso mate, so sorry I can't help. Just when I read about you trying to open the bonnet with the key I thought it might be worth a shot in case the mechanism is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

I have followed the guides posted here, but ... without results. All i managed was to take the grill lol

Still I am at the same point

Q: How to open that bonnet?

post-37592-0-27507600-1350139212_thumb.j

• Like 1

hi

I have followed the guides posted here, but ... without results. All i managed was to take the grill lol

Still I am at the same point

Q: How to open that bonnet?

Hi

You didn't need to remove the grill.

Have you removed this rubber boot?

2012-08-13190508.jpg

So you can see this white circle?

616484_472677586084133_1988143755_o.jpg

If yes,

Now physically push the white circle in above where it meets the cable (where the screwdriver is)

416079_472682986083593_1340697622_o.jpg

Because you have removed the grill, you should be able to push the white circle in with your thumb or something, but you will now also need to hold the cable level by hand n not let it hang.

While you are pushing the circle back in as hard as you can, and keeping the cable straight, turn your key to the left, the bonnet should pop, then turn the key to the right n quickly lift the bonnet.

You need to do all this at the same time and keep pushing the circle in n not let go till the bonnets open.

This should work.

If it doesn't, then it appears to be more serious n your connection has actually broken and will need to be replaced. There is another way to get the bonnet open but is harder. If you wait a while I will run out and take a photo to show what you have to do.

If you've removed the grill, you'll be able to see the slam panel above.

Either side of the panel there's a tab like this:

DSCN0878.jpg

From underneath the panel you should be able to knock it up to dislodge the tabs:

DSCN0879.jpg

If you can get the slam panel high enough to make enough room to stick your arm through like this:

DSCN0873.jpg

You should be able to stick your arm through n go by feel around the back of the lock mechanism for these 2 10mm bolts:

DSCN0874.jpg

If you can manage to get to the bolts, take a 10mm spanner to them n loosen them, if you can get around these then you will be able to prize the lock mechanism away from the car, n with enough force you can lift n wiggle the bonnet free.

This will obviously be more tricky to do though as you will have to undo the bolts blind as you can't see them from where you are.

You should really be able to just do the method in my guide though, if this isn't working then some how you've physically broken the bonnet lock n will be around 100pounds to fix.

Do you have any idea what may have caused the bonnet to not open? Have you recently had any bump to the front of the car? Have you recently removed the grill before the problem occurred?

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of smash bang wallop solutions on these forums but I've yet to find anyone explaining WHY this

problem occurs.

This post applies to pre-2004 models; it's probably not relevant to newer wheels.

A short steel rotating shaft connects the lock to the bonnet release latch.

At the latch end shaft diameter reduces. A circlip is inserted here to ensure correct pressure is maintained at the lock end. If this clip is missing or worn too thin the inserted key will not engage.

With luck and perseverence putting upward pressure on the key and trying to pull the lock towards you will bring sudden clicking joy.

If not, forget all thoughts of grill smashing or lock drilling.

Underneath the car is a thin access hatch between bumper and radiator.

This is secured by four plastic pop rivets which can be unscrewed.

Very little of the latch mechanism can be seen from underneath but poke a stick or long screwdriver

up through the gap you've created by opening the hatch. Again with luck and perseverence, by tapping or scraping your implement close to the lock/latch while another person keeps working the key you will hear that happy release sound.

Once the bonnet is open you will see exactly what the problem is. By gripping the connecting shaft with long-nose pliers and putting pressure towards the lock the key will work exactly as designed.

If you're familiar with circlips pop a new one on and that's it. If not, wrap any piece of strong wire

around the latch end and nip it tight with pliers.

Garage cost: at least £100. Your cost: 30 mins of sweat rewarded by elation.

I'll be following this guide in great detail in the coming weeks due to my slam plate being sent for colour codeing the grill is likely to shift.

Also changing grill in coming weeks too so I don't wana mess up the latch

I'll be following this guide in great detail in the coming weeks due to my slam plate being sent for colour codeing the grill is likely to shift.

Also changing grill in coming weeks too so I don't wana mess up the latch

Its easily avoided mate n easily fixed. Before closing the bonnet after removing the slam panel, simply turn the key n make sure the latch still does what it's supposed to. If it don't open, simply get a long screwdriver or similar item out n push the connection back together..

Actually scratch that, with the bonnet open n the slam panel removed you can push it back in by hand with your thumb.

• 1 month later...

Ford focus bonnet locks, don’t pay out,

If your turning the key and the bonnet will not open,

In side there is a plastic male and female cross that needs to fit into each other for them to turn, on the male there are two tags that spread and prevent this from happening

1, get a long screwdriver, place it through the grill so its pressing in to the black rubber garter where the lock rod enters the lock,

press the screwdriver in as you turn the key.

The bonnet should open,

2, Remove the plastic top cowling and the grill front, key barrel there are two little tags that need pressing to release barrel

3, remove the lock by undoing the two bolts that secure it, don’t need to remove any alarm wires,

on the back of the lock you will see the male plastic cross,

4 cut of the two tags from the male plastic cross.

5, reassemble

iv done two where bonnet was locked and two I did before the bonnet failed

time 15min, cost £0

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I had a bonnet lock problem with my Focus Mk2 and thought it might be useful for people to know that pick up on this handy thread. I also have a couple of queries that someone may be able to help with!

Anyway, I have a 2005 Focus Mk2 2.0 TCDi Ghia Estate and it doesn't have the bonnet mechanism shown in this thread but has the one shown in this thread (so I'm not the only one - perhaps it's Euro spec or early Mk2?):

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/37142-bonnet-lock-ff-mk2/?p=248147

I've had my car for 4 years now and seems to suffer from a battery drain so rather than fix the drain, I disconnect the battery each time. I have bought a multimeter and came to the conclusion that yes there is a drain but yet to do anything about it. It has an old Nokia phone kit which is still fitted so might remove that.

I only use the car at weekends so actually it's not that much hassle to do what I'm doing, hence lazy to repair. The bad news is the overuse of the bonnet I suppose. Not great when your battery is disconnected and you can't get in!

Anyway, I assumed I had the same issue as discussed here and got myself armed with a long rod to try and do the click tecnique but with a torch I noticed that mine didn't look like that. In end I went for the grill removal technique and managed to break the rivets (mostly!) and with a bit of brute force it came out in one piece although I think I broke a few bits of plastic on the 'slam panel' but it's re-usable.

Once inside I could then turn the rod (pictures to follow with a bit of luck) connected to the car end by hand as it had broken off the back of the lock. The car was back in action.

So, what I need is a new plastic rod connecting the lock end to the car end. It clips on each end so easy to replace. I suspect it's not available as a single item but perhaps as a whole system. However, the only one available seems to be the one discussed on this thread. Any one any ideas?

Also, where's the best place to get the plastic rivet/plugs/screws that hold the grill in place (particularly the ones at each end that can't be seen.

Many thanks. Will no try and add a pic or two.

Here's a picture of my lock mechanism. The lock end of the plastic rod has broken. If you hold the whole rod you can turn it left and right to unlock the bonnet. So no security system here.

post-6064-0-31246200-1364743261_thumb.jp

A few more pics.

This shows the plastic rod connected at the 'car' end.

post-6064-0-01678300-1364743398_thumb.jp

It simply clips on and off:

post-6064-0-15549400-1364743423_thumb.jp

At the other end the rod has broken with one of the plastic clip arms broken off:

post-6064-0-97127700-1364743454_thumb.jp

At the moment I've botched a repair by putting the grill back in place (no clips!) and then taping an allen key to the plastic rod long enough to go through the grill and I can open the bonnet again with the grill in place. A very temporary repair!