Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

Brigante

lol.  I wouldn't have bothered with the grill or lock and just used screwdriver but I believe it's an M.O.T. fail if tester can't open bonnet? so I bit the bullet and repaired it as I'm going to try and get at least another M.O.T. out of it ;

9 minutes ago, Bar72 said:

I believe it's an M.O.T. fail if tester can't open bonnet? ..

Absolutely an MOT failure if they can't get access. A while back my car failed it's emissions test, why? I had fitted a new exhaust trim with a built in mesh, it didn't allow them to insert the emission test probe! LOL

exhausttrimmesh.thumb.jpg.463327d4298ea8808edae247055da225.jpg

• Haha 1

An old thread I know but I recently used this and other online info etc to get into my recently acquired UK version MK2 focus 1.6 petrol estate ( 2007)

I actually opened the bonnet by removing the locking mechanism from underneath but it involved a lot of awkward reaching with scratched forearms etc due to the difficulty getting a spanner around the 2 mounting bolts . I am now in the process of deciding whether to just try a plastic" white cross " upgrade available on eBay for around £5 although some complain they are often soft and poorly made ..leading to trouble down the line . In my case everything else seems to be working ok so it may be the cheapest solution but there are many causes of the failure so examination of the bonnet release unit is required to ascertain what you need to fix. If I have time I may photo the refit/repair etc but am adding to this thread mainly because on many guides to gaining access via removal of the plastic grill /slam plate etc they indicate that removal of or shearing certain fasteners will release the plastic slam plate allowing it to be pulled out with a hard tug . In my case ..if I had followed those instructions I would had caused a lot of damage (I assume the retaining screw pattern varies according to the year/model/ version etc as mine was quite different to several I have seen in the guides both video on YT and elsewhere )  Just something to consider in case your car is similar . I was lucky in that I accessed from underneath ...it was more effort and time consuming but it caused no damage and allowed the screwdriver method to be used for a while to open the bonnet but if you go that route I would suggest adding a small torch to the long screwdriver kit as otherwise it can be difficult to locate the female cross inside where the tip is inserted before turning . HTH 's someone .

1 hour ago, Wombat64 said:

... mainly because on many guides to gaining access via removal of the plastic grill /slam plate etc they indicate that removal of or shearing certain fasteners will release the plastic slam plate allowing it to be pulled out with a hard tug . In my case ..if I had followed those instructions I would had caused a lot of damage...

My 'guy' also accessed the bonnet mechanism from underneath though being a garage, had full access to a proper ramp. From driving in, to driving out, was 15 minutes in total. Don't waste time/money on a cheap Chinese eBay lock, I went through 2 of them, they're useless. I ended up getting a genuine Ford one from a scrap dealer, now working for over 2 years...

• Like 2